blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 161928 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »

thought it might be worth having a rolling fight thread for all things Boxing / MMA related as there's quite a few of us follow it.

For a start there's a big UFC on next weekend. it's pay per view in US on saturday but we get it free Sunday night on Bravo. Randy Couture is coming out of retirement ot fight reigning heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia. Tim is a massive 6'8" and 18 1/2 stone and although he looks messy he hits like a train. Randy is smaller by 6" and gives away at nearly three stone but as he's a world class wrestler, if he can get the fight to the matt that should cancel out Tims advantages. Other highlights on the card are come back fights for recently dethroned champs Matt Hughs and Rich Franklin. Hughes has Chris Lytle who, if he connects could K Hughes TFO but would struggle on the ground. Franklin is a favourite in his fight but Jason Asrmstrong is no mug.

regular fans or curious newcomers shouldn't miss this one.

UFC.com for the details
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:53:20 AM by AdamM » Logged
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:13:08 AM »

Mark Bisping on that card? I heard he's got a UFC fight coming up.

Had a couple of blinding fights with Mark Epstien on cage rage.

Anyone seen butterbeans two cage rage fights? he's second was on the other night and as soon as he tagged his opponent the ref jumped in and stopped it, it was stupid! but to be fair to the ref his oponent went down and he probably anticipated that he wasnt getting up(as is usually the case if butterbean catches you square)but he was fine and the replay showed that he only glanced him so it was a shame, it was the main event.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:16:13 AM by bolt pp » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »

Mark Bisping on that card? I heard he's got a UFC fight coming up.

Had a couple of blinding fights with Mark Epstien on cage rage.

Anyone seen butterbeans two cage rage fights? he's second was on the other night and as soon as he tagged his opponent the ref jumped in and stopped it, it was stupid! but to be fair to the ref his oponent went down and he probably anticipated that he wasnt getting up(as is usually the case if butterbean catches you square)but he was fine and the replay showed that he only glanced him so it was a shame, it was the main event.

I think Bisping will be saved for UFC 70 in the summer as it's in Manchester. He'll most likely fight Quentin Jackson or Forest Griffin. I thing the Jackson fight would be hard work and messy but he's do ok if he could keep it standing. Griffin / Bisping would be a legendary tear up. Bisping would win it by KO for sure but it'd be blood and guts. The third possibility would be Tito Ortiz. I'd love to see him beat Ortiz but I can't see that match up until Ortiz is on a winning streak.

Yeah, I saw both Butterbean fights. Rob Broughton beat him up in the first one. no contest. The recent one was a disgraceful decision. he caught James Thompson with one solid punch then clipped his nose with a second. Thompson went down more out of suprise than from the punches and Butterbean fell on top of him. Thompson blocked 4 or 5 punches then the ref stepped in. travesty.

I have just seen on the cage rage site that not only have they got Bob Sapp but Vitor Belfort is fighting in cage rage in April.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »

UFC 70 - Tickets went on sale Friday.

Bisping is billed to fight Elvis Sinonic.

Gonzaga vs Mirko Cro Cop is currently top of the bill.

Couple of the undercard fights look OK as well could be worth a look.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »

wow, very kind of UFC. He'll destroy Sinosec. nice guy but not up to the job.

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »

Opinions on Cro Cop?

I always liked mirko in the pride contests but after his fight with fedor there was no where for him to go and assume he got offered serious money to go to UFC. I think he will struggle in UFC when he fights a really top wrestler but he sure is tough as the fedor fight showed.

I don't think we will ever see it but fedor in the UFC would be amazing (he would destroy them, i'm pretty sure he is the hardest man in the world), they should sort a challenge match between UFC and Pride champions. That would be great.

I'll be going to manchester.
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

Careful boys, this thread may get deleted
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »

Keep out links to videos of men trying to kill other men with their bare hands and it's all good.

(Women trying to kill women we may be ok with, if jelly is involved)

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »

I'm sure the Mods will tell us links to licensed legal fights like boxing or UFC will be ok.

I think Cro cop will strenthen the UFC heavy weight division. He'd make light work of Tim Silvia but my hunch is that he will have been replaced by Couture, and then Arlovski before he gets his shot.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »

I'm sure the Mods will tell us links to licensed legal fights like boxing or UFC will be ok.

most of them are away today, but I imagine that'll be fine with them yes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:40:46 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »

from Kimbo thread

Who are the best UFC/MMA fighters?

Heavy Weight.
current champ - Tim Silvia
contenders Randy Couture, Mirko Cro Cop, Andre Arlovski

Light heavyweight
Champ Chuck Liddell
Contenders Quentin Jackson, Tito Ortiz, Michael Bisbing (British fighter) Forest Griffin

Middle weight
Champ Anderson Silva
contenders Rich Franklin plus several on the fringe

Welterweight
George StPierre
Contenders Matt Serra, Matt Hughs plus several on the fringe

some big fights coming up over next few months. All the above belts will be contested before the end of April.

pound for pound is easily Matt Hughes, with Chuck Liddell 2nd.

My top fighters would be Hughes,Liddell, Franklin and St Pierre!!!

In the past maybe. when he was predominantly a wrestler he looked unbeatable. now he's making the effort to be an more rounded fighter he looks like he's lost it. George St Pierre stuck him with a couple of stiff jabs and he didn't look like he fancied the job. he tried a few takedowns and when they failed he was out to sea. I have money on Chris Lytle to beat him Saturday. Hughes is definitely favourite but Lytle hits harder than GSP so if he can connect it might be an upset.

Are these guys pro fighters?    I mean, do they make good money ( able to retire on money after a few years ) ?

I watch a lot of boxing, but I have not seen a lot of this cage or street stuff before.   Didn't Tyson consider doing this at one point?

the top fighters are pros on 6 figure contracts plus sponsorship deals. they aren't making top boxing money yet but as I said, the Pay Per View take is higher than boxing in the US so it's only a matter of time.

As someone said, Tyson wouldn't last a round in the cage. if it wasn't a take down and submission, it's be thigh kicks until he stood still. Most of the UFC heavy weights are giants. Tyson was a master of fighting bigger boxers in his day but when kicks and knees are a possibility he wouldn't want to be bobbing and weaving too much. Imagine the last one sided Tyson v Lewis fight (Current champ is 2 inches taller than Lewis) but his opponent also being able to kick, Clinch, Knee, Elbow, throw, mount, Crank joints, choke...etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:49:27 PM by AdamM » Logged
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »

Moved from Kimbo thread

UFC cat hall of fame.

Tank Abbot is the funniest UFC fighter there has been. No frills nutter.

Royce Gracie was the man who started it all. LEGEND.

Kimo, for best pantomime entrance carrying a cross.

Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock for best feud.

Did anyone(adam?) ever see the vale tudor where Rickson Gracie won it. He beat a guy known as Dragon Slayer in the final. This guy was about 9/10 stone and 5'2 or soemthing but beat a guy weighing 350 lbs+ in the first fight and a 6`2 inch savatte champ in the next round.

By the time he got to the final he was in very bad shape, especially to be fighting someone as good as Rickson and lost, but the guy was truly amazing to overcome such weight, height and reach deficiencies.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:39:54 PM by JungleCat03 » Logged

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »

yeah, the good / bad old days of Mixed Martial Arts. I do still watch the old DVDs but the game's moved on alot. street fighters like Tank Abbott got left behind, as did single discipline fighters like Royce Gracie (although he was and still is a legend)

think I've seen the Rickson Gracie fight you mean but a long time ago. I've studied Gracie instructional DVDs in the past and Rickson is probably the best of the whole clan.

favourite fighters for me. Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Pat Militich, Royce Gracie, Dan Servern, Genki Sudo, Ian Freedman, Vitor Belfort (early career) and I honestly believe Michael Bisbing will be a world beater in time.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:49:33 AM »

Phone call from old freind last night giving me the date for another friends much anticipated stag night, 21st april, yeah fine. Drive past sign for UFC manc this morning, guess what date. Twat it.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »

I think Crocop would tear through the UFC heavyweight division, his takedown defence is good enough to stop him getting dominated on the mat by anyone othe than Mir and Couture but he has a huge stand up advantage on them.  I think he also possesses a stand up advantage over Sylvia and Arlovski.  Crocop V Arlovski and Sylvia are the ones  want to see most.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: