blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  folding kings?
Poll
Question: what do you do?
fold? - 6 (15.8%)
Call? - 32 (84.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: folding kings?  (Read 4969 times)
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »

I once passed Aces preflop in a live tournament at a final table to move the prize ladder - and the sums involved were nowhere near the amounts in the question.........................

By mid 2003 i'd only been playing the game for about 9 months, only online and nothing serious money wise because the clapped out steam powered PC i had inherited wasn't powerful enough to download a decent poker site in less than a week. Therefore my poker was restricted to playing the limit poker on pokerroom. One day at work i had to go downstairs to talk to someone in a different department and i noticed a poker magazine on their desk and began to talk to them about poker. He told me that if i wanted to play online that the best site was Pokerstars for tournaments and he also told me about the £10 rebuy tourneys at the Grosvenor Riverside in Salford on a Wednesday and Sunday night.

My first live game was good considering i had no idea about betting as all the games on pokerroom were limit and this was pot limit but i soon picked it up and was quite happy with my play even though i didnt cash. That night i couldn't sleep as cards and hands were rushing thru my head and i decided that i had to go back and soon. So on the Sunday night back i went for my second tourney. Not sure how but i made the final table with about average chips and off we went. Being a newcomer at the table i never thought to ask how the prizepool worked or what was on offer (though i later discovered that the card room manager wrote it on a piece of paper for all to see! Cheesy) and i remember incurring the wrath of one of the regulars by reraising a short stack all in player from the small blind when apparently it was "poker etiquette" to just call and allow the big blind to also call and knock him out. I had 77 at the time and made a set on the flop which soon quietened the regular down but i tried not to let it phase me for the rest of the game.

Then when we were down to 8 we had an unbelievable hand. UTG raised the pot and by doing so virtually put himself all in, next to speak reraised all in, next player passed then a short stack called all in. The cut off passed then the button went all in too, the decision was on me in the small blind and i look down to see AA. It would cost me all my chips to call and i have the big blind behind me who is short stacked and may go all in and then the UTG original raiser who is pot commited and will probably call all in. I decided that against 5 all in players that i could fold and move several places up the prize ladder, so i passed  Shocked

Sure enough BB and UTG go all in for a 5 way all in pot and after about 10 minutes when the dealer had sorted out who won what we ended up losing 3 players and as it turned out my AA would have actually held up!!! Not long after that hand we lost another player and the 4 of us remaining decided to do a deal. Now at the time i had no idea how to do deals - and chances are because of that the other 3 players may have took advantage of me, but then at the time i got offered nearly £1000 and i couldnt believe i could agree to walk out with that much money having only bought in for £11 and one £10 rebuy. I'd never had so much cash all in one go and decided that i should invest the money in a laptop so i could do away with the wind up steam powered PC - and so that weekend off i went and blew half of my hard earned winnings. I also downloaded Pokerstars and doing a few tournament buy ins trying to adjust to the super quick software and tournaments where i could bet all my chips in one go i seemed to get the hang of it and the rest is history.

I often wonder if i had called there with the AA and lost, walking out with about £200 how my poker career would have panned out....... Smiley

Though if asked the question now - i call every day of the week!! Cheesy

sponsored by Fyffes
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:48 PM »

With that bankroll, in that situation, easy fold.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 11:48:47 PM »

Same situation, but youve got aces, who passes who calls?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:59:36 PM »

i pass aces but called with kings

ok i call with aces too

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:07 AM »

Same situation, but youve got aces, who passes who calls?

Now i call.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 08:59:35 AM »

It's interesting because I'm still torn about this one.

Essentially I'm with flushy on this; call and tell the rest of em to sod off no deal (untill your HU maybe) and pray to God he doesn't have Aces and you don't get sucked out on.
He could just be doing this to pick up the blinds and get some more chip equity for the deal (as was posted the guy is a retard for pushing here no matter what he holds) or he could have a monster and I'd be F'ed.
If I got sucked out on I would severely flip out but if I won this it would set me up for a very big payday indeed and I think you have to go for it.

I don't know if I'd have the guts for it though and might just say "F'it I'll fold and win the tourney after shorty is out and I bag myself a great deal of dosh)

with aces this is a very easy call for me.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
happybhoy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »

If your bankroll is 2k winning 20 times that is a massive result already. I'd also imagine that I was the least experienced of the players at this level and would stand a reasonable shot at getting gubbed when it goes to 3 against v1 & v2. I'll be the first to admit I've never played at that level but how often are you putting this guy on aces when he does that? I'd call in an instant and take a shot for the 200k. Probably with QQ too, Aks or JJ is where I'd start having qualms and fold.

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to mis-attribute this quote to Voltaire.
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »

Win that pot and you are practically guaranteed $200K. Easy call.

Fold, then get a bad situation later on and you might just end up with $40K. With that small a bankroll how could you afford to take such a big risk of losing $160K?

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:25 PM »

ur in the money

u may never get in this spot again..im calling

then prepare to launch the dog over the neighbours fence

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 04:01:37 AM »

oh. i'd call with aces. still don't think those of you who say call or really putting yourselfs in the right position to think about this. probably cause alot of you have higher rolls than the player in question already.

i think the key thing about this is HE PLAYS ACES IN THIS SPOT THE SAME AS ANY OTHER HAND.

long shot yes. something you'll look back on for the rest of your LIFE and regret if you never make it to pro after calling and only making a lame 40k from that position?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »

i think the key thing about this is HE PLAYS ACES IN THIS SPOT THE SAME AS ANY OTHER HAND.

yep this is the key thing..and why I wouldn't know if I'd have the balls to call him.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

oh. i'd call with aces. still don't think those of you who say call or really putting yourselfs in the right position to think about this. probably cause alot of you have higher rolls than the player in question already.

long shot yes. something you'll look back on for the rest of your LIFE and regret if you never make it to pro after calling and only making a lame 40k from that position?

$40,000 is still one hell of a result for a $2,000 bankroll. and that is the worst case scenario.

Say you call and he has AA and you go out or he has Ace rag and hits the Ace. Suffice to say you'd be gutted.

But if you folded and he showed you 44 or T3 or whatever you'd be equally gutted. In fact more so as it wasn't a "bad beat" that cost you your big break but just the fact that when you were presented with your big break you bottled it pure and simple.

and if you do make it pro it wouldn't be on the basis of one big MTT win anyway.  It would be on the basis of grinding it out and winning/cashing regularly.

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »

a) he's unlikely to show.
b) so what if he shows rags? you never seen KK outdrawn before?
c) ALOT of people turn pro off the back of a single big win. and i think doubling the profit here is pretty key to doing that.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »

a) he's unlikely to show.
b) so what if he shows rags? you never seen KK outdrawn before?
c) ALOT of people turn pro off the back of a single big win. and i think doubling the profit here is pretty key to doing that.

Your hardly ready to 'go pro' if your bankroll is $2k!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 08:55:45 PM »

Win that pot and you are practically guaranteed $200K.

That is so incorrect
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: