blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:20:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1282886 times)
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9600 on: December 10, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

As tough as it may feel after such a disappointing result, perhaps going out of the Champions League might ultimately be a good thing.
Obviously you had no chance of winning it and qualifying again through the league is going to be difficult.
But now at least you have a decent chance of qualifying again through winning the Europa League.
With Sturridge back for the european campaign, you'll have as good a chance as any of the other teams in it.
There might even be a massive Europa final of Pool vs Everton or Spurs Smiley
If an English team does win it, there are only going to be 3 Champ League spot from the league, so this competition should now be priority number 1.

Liverpool v Celtic Final. 

Although as things stand Celtic could face liverpool in next round and tbh it's the only Champions eague drop out I'd fancy taking on.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »

lolapool installed as 10/1 favs for europa league.  suppose there are harder ways to pay for xmas than laying them.  keep believing they are a big club. whats more important right  now for lolapool?  Winning Europa league this year?  Qualifying for it next year in 6th place in epl?  Or sacking Rodgers?  winning fa cup?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/europa-league/winner

Not sure what your definition of a "big club" is..

To me is goes far beyond the finishing position in the league.

It's about support, difficulty of getting a ticket on game day, global recognition and stuff like that.

I doubt anyone disputes Man Utd are the biggest club in England, but for me Liverpool are quite clearly the second biggest.

I would have it Man U >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Liverpool>>>>>>>>>>>Arsenal>>>>>>>Tottenham>>>>>>Man City/Newcastle/Everton>>>>>>>>>Chelsea/Villa/Leeds/Sheff Weds/Sunderland

Something like that.

Temporary form/influx of money does not make a team bigger. In 20 years time Man City and Chelsea will be back where they belong.

Man Utd and Liverpool will always be contenders.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:57:57 PM by The Camel » Logged

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

Probably have Leeds a little too low in the list come to think of it.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: December 10, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »

Good post Camel.  Pretty sure he's trolling the Liverpool fans though. 
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »

What dicipetes a "big team" i think could be split in many different ways and in a different topic/thread.

Trophies
Money
Recent years (again over how far back)
Fan base
Global appeal
Marketing ability

To name a few imo

Carpe Diem
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

What dicipetes a "big team" i think could be split in many different ways and in a different topic/thread.

Trophies
Money
Fan base
Global appeal
Marketing ability

To name a few imo

Fan base/Global appeal by far the biggest.

When I've been travelling the world to play poker tournaments, by far the most common English football shirts you see are Man U and Liverpool.

I remember seeing a Chelsea shirt in Australia and being utterly taken aback. Think it was the first time I'd ever seen one outside UK.

Chelsea are a nothing club comapred to Spurs and Arsenal. To compare them to Liverpool would be a joke imo.

kp24

View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »

Very poor again yesterday followed up Saturdays awful performance think the negative starting line up didn't help matters only two attacking players in it,didn't understand taking off our only striker off at half time when we needed to score we are so far of last seasons form,feeling very apprehensive about weekend even though they aren't playing well either just think anyone capable of beat us at the moment
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »

Just watched a piece on Bleacher Report that NESN has been in contact for the last month with possible replacements for Brendan...

...including AvB...

...who has turned them down, saying he's not looking for a return to the Prem, yet.

This is all a bit ridiculous. I say this as a spurs fan, so appreciate a stupid manager change when I see it. I don't rate Rogers myself and never have, but I think he's been a victim of the whole Balotelli affair, when a different striker might have brought more balance and more unity to the side this season. I don't see what harm can be done by keeping him in post for a few years. The league title isn't realistic for the next three years or so, but whoever is in charge will be in that same 3rd-7th bracket as anyone else. Why not let him build a team with Stevie G as a coach or, if he wants to go, to build the new Liverpool team?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »

Are we assuming because Stevie G was once a good player he'd be a good coach? 

Its not very often that comes to fruition.  Surly he has to go out and gain experience elsewhere before becoming a coach? 
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: December 11, 2014, 12:50:32 AM »

Are we assuming because Stevie G was once a good player he'd be a good coach? 

Its not very often that comes to fruition.  Surly he has to go out and gain experience elsewhere before becoming a coach? 

Stevie G for England manager?
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: December 11, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »

I think Stevie G would make a blinding coach. He's already the goto guy at Liverpool for all the players and in the future he would provide an excellent link between them and the manager in a coaching capacity. I generally think English clubs are quite poor at allowing their legends to walk out the door. Being trained on the Anfield turf by a legendary world class player like Gerrard adds value and appeal to players contemplating a move to Liverpool. Or he could add that value to a rival club as Lampard is doing at City!!

Would be madness to replace Brenda imo!

Oh and can people stop criticising "trolls". If there's one thing Blonde needs right now it's trolls.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: December 11, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »

I'm not sure whether he's manager material - who knows what his tactical abilities are? - but I'm sure Liverpool will offer him a job for life if he wants it. There are some clubs that might not do that, but most would and Liverpool would be top of that list. Working with the Academy would be an obvious start, if he wanted to go down that line.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »

Trophies
Money
Fan base
Global appeal
Marketing ability

To name a few imo

Fan base/Global appeal by far the biggest.

When I've been travelling the world to play poker tournaments, by far the most common English football shirts you see are Man U and Liverpool.

I remember seeing a Chelsea shirt in Australia and being utterly taken aback. Think it was the first time I'd ever seen one outside UK.

Chelsea are a nothing club comapred to Spurs and Arsenal. To compare them to Liverpool would be a joke imo.

I agree.  But isn't global appeal just a derivative of success?  If Chelsea won the league 8 times out of 10 and won 3 champ leagues in that period I'm sure they would become more popular with young asian fans.

I think domestic fanbase is the far more important one as that pretty much guarantees that you will be a contender over the medium term, and global followings wil follow.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: December 11, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Gary Neville says Liverpool haven’t spent enough money to compete at the top this season  http://bit.ly/12xM1GZ  

of course, he has no axe to grind

"“They obviously sold Luis Suarez for £65m and spent (around) £100m on five or six players, so they spent £40m. That’s not even touching the sides of what the big European teams do, and are spending when they’re really going for it.

“When you’re talking about a big club and Liverpool winning European Cups over the last 30 years, building a new 65,000-seater stadium; £40m net is not ‘going for it'.”

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: