blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1282928 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: December 09, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »

"...Kenny Dalglish has lost only one of his last 53 matches at Anfield as Liverpool manager…"

Just saying.

But drawn 47?   

Yeah, drawn a few too many - but it's hardly the crisis that it's often made out to be.

The players just need to learn how to score goals now...

I can't help wondering how happy you are now with the pre-season transfer business having seen the players bed in and got to know them better?

From a relatively neutral stance Jose Enrique looks to have been the best buy by some distance, and Adam looks okay, Bellamy is Bellamy, but Downing, Henderson and Coates(whom I've not seen much of) all look to have been well overpriced although obviously with Henderson there should be some more development to come.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4561 on: December 09, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »

"...Kenny Dalglish has lost only one of his last 53 matches at Anfield as Liverpool manager…"

Just saying.

But drawn 47?   

Yeah, drawn a few too many - but it's hardly the crisis that it's often made out to be.

The players just need to learn how to score goals now...

I can't help wondering how happy you are now with the pre-season transfer business having seen the players bed in and got to know them better?

From a relatively neutral stance Jose Enrique looks to have been the best buy by some distance, and Adam looks okay, Bellamy is Bellamy, but Downing, Henderson and Coates(whom I've not seen much of) all look to have been well overpriced although obviously with Henderson there should be some more development to come.

Jose Enrique was an excellent buy.
Bellamy was a very good buy, and just what we needed (I know you're a big fan of his).
Adam - has proven to be a bargain.
Downing - has played well at times, and underperformed at others.  Pretty much what expected from him, but expect his performances to improve as the side gels.
Henderson - not sure where he fits in, but Dalglish and the other staff must see something in him as he starts week in week out (much like Lucas did when many thought he was useless).
Coates - was bought for the future, but has looked very good in the few games he has played, and could well be a future star for Liverpool.
Carroll - obviously looking over-priced, but as Dalglish said he was bought for 5 years, not 5 months.  Needs a run of games imo.

All in all, the side is a massive improvement on where it was, and the football we're playing is far better to watch.  We've been able to hold our own against all the top sides (except for the capitulation against Spurs, which was hopefully just an aberration), the problem we're having is putting away the 'lesser' sides.  This isn't necessarily a new thing though, it's just more is expected because of the way we're playing in general.

Still got Gerrard to come back into the side as well - hopefully fully fit.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: December 09, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »

Sometimes a bit of reality is needed.  Talk of a "crisis" coming from a top 6 Prem club makes me chuckle.

FWIW I think Carroll was a great deal for Newcastle, it may well turn out to be great business for Liverpool particularly if he stays 4 years and bags say 70 goals but so far, he has a hell of a lot to prove.  I think it was fair to say he was a Talisman for Newcastle........they love that word up there don't they lol.

Downing has done nothing, but I can't help but compare him to Ashley Young, who, I think has done more since leaving Villa.  I expected alot more from Charlie Adam, being in a better team and all that....

Wish we had such luxuries.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4563 on: December 09, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »

I think Charlie has been by far the best of the players you list there. Downing is, well, Downing. Carroll was massively overpriced.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4564 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »

Adam has been very good for us, especially for an £8M player (or whatever he cost).  A proper bargain.

Manu have benefited (for many years now) of being able to bring in young or new players into a very strong side.  This means the new players are not only surrounded by good players, but good players who are used to playing together. This year, they're finding the going more difficult - but are still a top side obviously.  Look at Citeh, they have an extremely strong squad, and could easily put out two first XI sides that would compete well in the league.  But it's taken them a few years to start to gel, and that's even with the massive amounts they've spent.

For the first time in quite a few years Liverpool have gone into a transfer window without really having to sell to buy.  Carroll and Suarez came in at the expense of Torres and Babel.  I think that's a net gain.  Then in the summer we signed some good players - Jose Enrique = £6.5M, Henderson = £16M, Downing = £20M, Adam = £7M, Coates = £7M, Bellamy = Free, and the only 'good' player we lost was Meireles for £12M.

Overall, some good money spent and the benefits of which will hopefully be seen over the next few seasons.  There's no 'crisis' at Liverpool, there was early last season though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: December 09, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »

For me, Downing has been borderline crap, needs to get himself sorted.

Adam, I like a lot and think has been really decent.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4566 on: December 09, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »

Downing started well, and has shown glimpses.  But for me the side looks unsettled at times and the balance isn't right, with Downing and Henderson being part of this (symptoms or the cause?).  Trying too many things at once maybe?  Goes back to the debate about the 'starting XI'.  None of us could agree (or even agree that there was one) what it would be, and so far it looks as though Dalglish and Clarke aren't sure either.

Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: December 09, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »

Need more Maxi imo
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4568 on: December 09, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »

Need more Maxi imo

He's another one!  Was so off-the-boil last season for ages he was frustrating as hell.  Then in the latter part of the season he suddenly becomes a goal machine.

We're struggling to score this season, and Maxi's conversion percentage of chances is the highest in the side - a clear argument that he should start more games?  I think so. 
http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/_MAXI-THE-MAN-OF-THE-MOMENT/blog/5513470/173471.html

Also, Suarez needs to score more.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »

Downing was bought to primarily supply Carroll wasn't he? Hence if Carroll isn't firing or even playing that will reflect on Downing's usefulness to the team.

Dalglish criticising the FA for appealing Rooney's 3 match ban is typical Dalglish and makes no real sense. He can be a genuine 24ct Scottish miser sometimes.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: December 09, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »

Sometimes a bit of reality is needed.  Talk of a "crisis" coming from a top 6 Prem club makes me chuckle.

FWIW I think Carroll was a great deal for Newcastle, it may well turn out to be great business for Liverpool particularly if he stays 4 years and bags say 70 goals but so far, he has a hell of a lot to prove.  I think it was fair to say he was a Talisman for Newcastle........they love that word up there don't they lol.

Downing has done nothing, but I can't help but compare him to Ashley Young, who, I think has done more since leaving Villa.  I expected alot more from Charlie Adam, being in a better team and all that....

Wish we had such luxuries.

Do we ? I've honestly never used that word once in my life.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: December 09, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »

I don't think Suarez will stay if he continues as he is, will go to Barca/Real etc and then I expect Carroll to step up, seems like Dalglish has handled him badly imo but tbh I don't really follow it very much. I just mean, clearly Carroll is low on confidence and Daglish has never gave him a run of games as far as I'm aware ? Which is strange since you paid so much for him. Seems very similar to the Robbie Keane situation, although he did get a lot more playing time, unlike most people up here I hope he does well as I want him too crush for England and I don't blame him for leaving.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4572 on: December 09, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »

Downing was bought to primarily supply Carroll wasn't he? Hence if Carroll isn't firing or even playing that will reflect on Downing's usefulness to the team.

Can't argue with that really on the whole.  I think that's why Henderson was brought in as well.

Dalglish criticising the FA for appealing Rooney's 3 match ban is typical Dalglish and makes no real sense. He can be a genuine 24ct Scottish miser sometimes.

It was in response to the fine for Suarez, Spearing's sending off, and the fine for Liverpool for this: "An FA statement read: 'Liverpool Football Club have been charged by The FA with failing to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion, following the dismissal of Jay Spearing."

Are they serious?  We've never seen any other Premiership side surround the ref (unpunished) time and time again, and fine for Suarez is ridiculous considering the other instances of players doing similar things and not being punished - including Mr Rooney.

No wonder Dalglish was criticising the FA.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4573 on: December 09, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »

I don't think Suarez will stay if he continues as he is, will go to Barca/Real etc

I think they will definitely be interested in him, and he might decide it's easier to ply his trade there than in the Premiership.

and then I expect Carroll to step up, seems like Dalglish has handled him badly imo but tbh I don't really follow it very much.
 I just mean, clearly Carroll is low on confidence and Daglish has never gave him a run of games as far as I'm aware ?

I'm surprised Dalglish hasn't played him more, but he's stuck firmly behind Carroll.  Apparently he was lacking fitness and Dalglish has been nothing but supportive of him.  Hopefully, they can all work together to get him to the level he can quite clearly play at.

Which is strange since you paid so much for him. Seems very similar to the Robbie Keane situation, although he did get a lot more playing time, unlike most people up here I hope he does well as I want him too crush for England and I don't blame him for leaving.

The difference is that the coaching staff at Liverpool wanted Carroll, Keane was a strange signing that seemed to be outside the manager's control.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4574 on: December 09, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

QPR next.  Who'll play in the middle with Adam as Lucas, Gerrard and Spearing are unavailable? Henderson?

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: