blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 360 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1282722 times)
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5325 on: March 22, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »

Bottom line is regardless of how much has been spent and how much has been recouped the team and the squad isnt good enough.

How many of our players would make the starting XI of any of the top 5. Reina maybe and you could argue none of the others.

For me the team that wins the league more often than not is the team with the best midfield.

Lucas is out for the season and apart from him i cant really name a midfielder that i would want in the team next season. Ok Gerard is amazing but we are talking about signings how have we not found a player to play along side him in 10 years.

The back 5 is going to be quite settled going into next year, we need another striker regardless of whether or not either of the front 2 move on, but yet again for another season the whole midfield needs an overhaul.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5326 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »

I'm not sure a complete overhaul is required, there's always an issue when lots of new players are introduced into a side that is struggling.  It's easier to bring in two or three players into a side that are doing well - especially when lots is spent on the players coming in.

But yes of course, some of the signings are just not good enough for a side looking to be competing for a CL spot.

To compound this, some of the tactical decisions that Dalglish has made in terms of line-ups and substitutions have been costly mistakes.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »

It's just too complicated a way to look at it.

Not sure how much Arsenal spent in the close season but only the money spent on Arteta improved us from where we were at the point they were bought. So more was spent badly than well, had it been spent better we would be better.

Dalglish doesn't demonstrate better credentials to be able to pick players and improve the team cause Torres went for £50m rather than £20m - it's really not complicated and net spend means next to nothing

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »

Bill Shankly said “football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple”.

Swansea are rated a top four side in passes attempted and passes completed with a net spend of 3 magic beans. Sets the bar imo.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: March 22, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »

Not sure how much Arsenal spent in the close season but only the money spent on Arteta improved us from where we were at the point they were bought. So more was spent badly than well, had it been spent better we would be better.

Dalglish doesn't demonstrate better credentials to be able to pick players and improve the team cause Torres went for £50m rather than £20m - it's really not complicated and net spend means next to nothing

Are you forgetting the Ox, he's been a terrific aquisition?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: March 22, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

I'm old :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: March 22, 2012, 10:44:35 PM »

I understand Wink

In fact I reckon that if Kenny had invested the £15M in the Ox rather than spend that and £5M more on Downing he might well be considered Anfield's new messiah, oh wait....

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »

lol, but Downing is good in a way because net versus Torres he only cost -£30m

sola virtus nobilitat
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »

True. If we use this logic they could have signed me for -49.99999m. I'd only want 10k a week too. Silly Kenny

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Rivertony

View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »

I understand Wink

In fact I reckon that if Kenny had invested the £15M in the Ox rather than spend that and £5M more on Downing he might well be considered Anfield's new messiah, oh wait....

The ox is probably buy of the season!!
Rivertony

View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »

True. If we use this logic they could have signed me for -49.99999m. I'd only want 10k a week too. Silly Kenny

G2L would score more than Torres too lol
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:38 AM »

Kin, how many players has Dalglish bought and of those how many would you say where good signings ? I really think he's done a pretty poor job tbh and would go as far as to say he would warrant the sack more than any other manager in the league, inc AVB.
maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

Kin, how many players has Dalglish bought and of those how many would you say where good signings ? I really think he's done a pretty poor job tbh and would go as far as to say he would warrant the sack more than any other manager in the league, inc AVB.

I agree with you Ray.

Best signings Coates and Enrique, rest of them are truly wank and nowhere near good enough to play for Liverpool.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: March 23, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

henderson is deeeeeeeeeeeece, you'll all see

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5339 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

Not saying Liverpool's buys were great, or that they shouldn't have bought other players instead.

As far as the forwards go:

Out:
Torres
Babel

In:
Suarez
Carroll
Bellamy

That was a net spend of £0.  At the time, I thought it was excellent news, and we'd done well there. Torres wasn't performing anywhere near the superb level he's shown when he first joined Liverpool.  Carroll has unfortunately matched a lot of people's expectations of him and obviously if we sold him we'd get nowhere near his £35M fee.  Suarez is obviously a decent player, and needs to play alongside an out-and-out goal-scoring striker (which was what Carroll was meant to be obviously).  Even in the very limited number of games that Suarez, Carroll and Gerrard have played in together we've looked more promising in attack. 

Bellamy came in on a free transfer, and is a very good player.  Unfortunately, he can't play week in, week out, otherwise I'm sure he would be starting every game.

As for midfield:

Out:
Meiereles
Aquilani

In:
Adam
Downing
Henderson

None of these three have set the world on fire, and Dalglish's insistence in playing Henderson and Adam virtually all the time confuses the hell out of me.  Wasn't overly excited when we signed Downing, but I think he can do a decent job in a settled side.  Adam is OK at times, and was probably fair value at £7M.  Henderson might be one for the future, but he's not producing performances that we need at the moment.  The fees paid for Downing and Henderson means that the fans can be upset at what they've delivered in return. 

I wasn't happy when Meireles went.  I think he's a decent player, and we didn't really benefit from the replacements who came in.  Aquilani never seemed to get a game for whatever reason - maybe it was the English game that didn't suit him as he's done OK in Italy.

If Lucas and Gerrard had been fit all season, then things might be a lot different.  For the previous two seasons, Lucas was one of the most important and consistent (if not the most important and consistent) players in the side, and although Jay Spearing provides some cover he's not in the same class as Lucas.  A fit Gerrard is an incredible player, and hopefully his injuries are behind him and he can continue to get back to his best.

Defence:

The side hasn't been bad defensively this season (the last match was the exception rather than the rule for most of the season), and would have been more solid if it could have been a consistent Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Jose Enrique in front of Pepe.  Skrtel has been a revelation this season (again, last match excepted) and is by far the player of the season so far.  Jose Enrique has been an excellent signing and has come in and filled a hole we had at left back.  But we've missed Agger and it's unfortunate that he seems to be made out of balsa wood.

We've also signed some young players who will come into the side in the future (such as Coates), as well as a group of players playing in the reserves.  I'd like to see Shelvey get more games in the side as he's performed well when he has, and he looks ready to me.

The problem is quite clearly not scoring enough goals.  Part of the problem is up front, as it's their job to score them.  But the biggest problem (imo) is that the supply from midfield isn't good enough.  Delivery from set pieces is shocking. Loads of corners don't get beyond the first defender, and we simply don't create enough goal-scoring chances from them.  Also, the midfield should be coming in with more goals themselves, especially if the service isn't good enough for the forwards to get the goals.

Should Kenny go?  Not yet imo.  He's been given a side in transition, and all the Liverpool fans had hoped that we'd do well this year and be challenging for a top 4 spot.  We've not come close to achieving that - which is a disappointment.  It'll be interesting to see who we bring in over the summer (the rumours are flying round already), but I'd suggest that a couple of quality signings would make a massive difference.  If there's no improvement next season, then I think Kenny will move on.  Not sure who we'd replace him with, but to replace him now wouldn't achieve much (again imo).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:06:18 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 360 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: