blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272606 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 1182 1183 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332012 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17670 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »

..and this suggests you are correct......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17671 on: February 18, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »

Can we have approximate dates with the car stories please?

Ugh.

OK, from here on in I will try, but they will all be approximate.

The Ford Popular I'm sure about - 1964. I think I had it 2 years or more. (I had 5 or 6 motorbikes before that).

The Morris Minor & the Hillman Miinx would be 66-68 or thereabouts, certainly it spanned '66. I was working in Wembley Park at the time, & the World Cup was on - the one we won! - & I had a much-prized "Resident" Permit, which I'd purchased off an old lady for £3.

The Hillman Avenger, well, I don't know the date, but it was brand-new & the Reg Plate - GUC 945J should identify the year.*

* EDIT - google informs me that a "J" plate was 1969. And my maths informs me that I got my 4th car 41 years ago, good grief.

google is wrong for once. J is late 70 early 71.

Well this must be wrong then.

http://www.vrm-group.co.uk/car_plate_registration_years.htm

Actually Tone, yes it is wrong. I know for a fact and would take all bets.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: February 18, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »

Ugh.

The Ford Popular I'm sure about - 1964. I think I had it 2 years or more. (I had 5 or 6 motorbikes before that).

The Morris Minor & the Hillman Miinx would be 66-68 or thereabouts, certainly it spanned '66. I was working in Wembley Park at the time, & the World Cup was on - the one we won! - & I had a much-prized "Resident" Permit, which I'd purchased off an old lady for £3.

The Hillman Avenger, well, I don't know the date, but it was brand-new & the Reg Plate - GUC 945J should identify the year.*

* EDIT - google informs me that a "J" plate was 1969. And my maths informs me that I got my 4th car 41 years ago, good grief.

Agreed - wiki says so.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
wormster

View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: February 18, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »

camera, a "losers forfeit" jokey kind of thing.

I hope that doesn't mean we lost last night.

Oh NO. We WON last night. 2-1 down, but we ran out 3-2 winners. Easy. Lisa is not best pleased, they don't like it up 'em.

That's right Mr Mainwaring!!! thumbs up

FYP

The kidz struggles with the spellings, see?

I only corrected it because one night, Mrs Red and I were playing Trivial Pursuits when she asked "Who was the Capitan in Dad's Army?" "Mainwaring" I answered, pronouncing it "Mannering"

"No" She insisted, "It's Main-waring" (She pronounced it phonetically)

To settle it, I rang my mate at the snooker hall.

"Put the daft mare on" He said. I passed her the phone. "It's Main-Waring" (Phonetically) He told her. "Dont let him con you...."

Cost me breakfast in bed that did, among other things......

I loved Dad's Army & I remember a scene with Mainwaring & a stuffy old major - it sort of goes:

Major: " Now then Mainwaring.."

Mainwaring: "it's pronounced Mannering, Sir"

Major: "What??"

Mainwaring: my name. it's pronounced Mannering, Sir"

Major: "then why the bloody hell do you spell it Mainwaring?"

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17674 on: February 18, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »

Tikay are these dates referring to AD or BC ?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17675 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »

Ugh.

How is Google wrong?  Surely the site that has been listed in the results is wrong - or did Google say that J was 1969?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:08:45 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

Ugh.

Save your money Red. You must be reading it wrong, Aug1970-July1971 which is correct.

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »

Ugh.

* EDIT - google informs me that a "J" plate was 1969. And so simple maths informs us that I got my 4th car 41 years ago, good grief. It never had quarter lights though, but it had a back window.

i think J was 70-71, which would probably mean your car was made in the Ryton plant (which until 2007 made spares for Peugeot), rather than the emminently superior linwood plant  just west of glasgow.,

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17678 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »

Ugh.

Save your money Red. You must be reading it wrong, Aug1970-July1971 which is correct.

I didn't read anything. Tony said "google informs me that a "J" plate was 1969"

I said "google is wrong for once. J is late 70 early 71"

The older I get, the better I was.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »

^^ Ah ok, i thought you were referring to TK`s link.

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

talking about hillmans and car registration plates, we used to play a game when we would try and count the number of new registrations we could see on a long journey. Once we were going to the football (7 miles ws a long journey in a hillman imp) and the T registration had just come out so this was 78, and i was 6)

My uncle, long gone now, was with us, and when we got home he asked me how many T's i had counted. I proudly told him 12, and which point he replied 'well im going home for my tea, and your going for your tea, so thats 14 t's'. a totally crap joke now, but when you were 6 in 1978 it seemed hilarious...

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: February 18, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »

talking about hillmans and car registration plates, we used to play a game when we would try and count the number of new registrations we could see on a long journey. Once we were going to the football (7 miles ws a long journey in a hillman imp) and the T registration had just come out so this was 78, and i was 6)

My uncle, long gone now, was with us, and when we got home he asked me how many T's i had counted. I proudly told him 12, and which point he replied 'well im going home for my tea, and your going for your tea, so thats 14 t's'. a totally crap joke now, but when you were 6 in 1978 it seemed hilarious...

Don't get me wrong Laz, but you were in a Hillman Imp?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17682 on: February 18, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »

As I noted last week, after Alexander McQueen died, I had never heard him.

But quite a story is emerging about the man described as the UK's iconic fashion guru.

It now appears that his companies - many of which are 51% owned by Gucci - have net liabilities of £32 million! That's a lot of posh frocks in any currency.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: February 18, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »

Ladbrokes Shares were the biggest faller on the FTSE250 today.

Their 2009 Results came in 29% worse than 2008, which is pretty dire, all things considered.  The contribution from poker, apparently, was worse than that.

They do seem to have lost their way somewhere along the line.

6/4 that Cyril Stein would be turning in his grave.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »

The contribution from poker, apparently, was worse than that.

havent touched them since they joined the crap  mircogaming network
it was bad enough having to use the mircogaming software without having to play on the network too

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 1182 1183 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: