blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 07:23:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272924 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2409 2410 2411 2412 [2413] 2414 2415 2416 2417 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6387855 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36180 on: December 12, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »

Quick congrats to my colleague for some 5 or 6 years now, James Hartigan.

http://thebigblind.co.uk/James_Hartigan/Journalist_Broadcaster_Poker_Commentator_Film_Critic_NFL_Fan.html

In a world where so many are described as "the ultimate pro", he IS that man. A perfect pleasure to work with, bright - VERY bright - adjusts to his studio colleagues like a chameleon, & is so much fun - & easy - to work with.

He is, by far, the best at his job in Europe, in my opinion. He has developed a certain gravitas.

Next Door were hoping to use him extensively to front up the TV stuff for UKPC, but that's now a no-go.

I'm sort of equally sad & glad. I'll miss him very much, but I'm so pleased & proud for him that he has signed a juicy contract with the mighty 'Stars.

He is replaceable, but only with difficulty, & they'll do well to get someone one tenth as good as him.

If only he did not drone on endlessly about films.

Top bloke, been an absolute delight to work with, & he's helped me do my job better, too.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
JamesHartigan

Gets paid to talk about the pokerz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36181 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »

Thanks, Tony. You're FAR too kind!

Seriously, it's been an absolute blast working alongside you. Those TV shows, despite being long, are enormous fun. And I really enjoyed our trips to Las Vegas and...Glasgow.

Shame I can't be a part of the UKPC. It will be huge. And I predict it'll take 'Next Door' to the next level.

It's actually been a tough balancing act over the last five years - promoting two rival gaming sites; trying to keep two clients happy. I knew there'd come a tipping point. And here we are.

But, we all know what this industry is like. I feel this is au revoir, rather than goodbye.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36182 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »

Thanks, Tony. You're FAR too kind!

Seriously, it's been an absolute blast working alongside you. Those TV shows, despite being long, are enormous fun. And I really enjoyed our trips to Las Vegas and...Glasgow.

Shame I can't be a part of the UKPC. It will be huge. And I predict it'll take 'Next Door' to the next level.

It's actually been a tough balancing act over the last five years - promoting two rival gaming sites; trying to keep two clients happy. I knew there'd come a tipping point. And here we are.

But, we all know what this industry is like. I feel this is au revoir, rather than goodbye.

Well I never meant any of it James, but it seemed right to pretend so.

Glasgow, & that Etap (?) hotel? Incred.

Vegas & the pogo sticks thing was amazing.

Not so fond of your shorts & Jesus sandals at Caesars though.

UKPC huge? I hope so. It fully pre-occupies me at the moment, in fact I was up at DTD again yesterday. I wish I could Blog about the whole backstory, it really is something, the twists & turns. I've not counted, but I bet I've written or received over 1,000 e-Mails about it over the last 13 or 14 months. Must have had 50 meetings about it too, everywhere from Leeds, to Osterley, Nottingham, & St Pancras Station. Yup, St Pancras station, at a minute to midnight. In the afternoon...... It's probably my last big project in Poker, if Next Door don't mind me using the "my" word. It's not mine of course, but I've been central to it, from the very start, in October 2012. And I treat it as mine. Chief Gofer, me.

I can well imagine the delicacy of wearing those two hats, believe me, I know that feeling. You walked that tightrope with wonderful poise.

Anyway, you are a 'Stars man 100% now. Bloody little upstart site, they'll never last.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36183 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »

This was approved by Houslow council yesterday

20,000 capacity

Don't think there will be a Pub on every corner

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

I think it still needs various Permissions before it goes ahead, but yes, quite something.

And the money comes from........a Sports Bettor, I believe. Amazing, really.

That road on stilts at the top of the 2nd photo is the elevated section of the M4.

Fascinating stuff in every Post.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36184 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »

I got up at 9.10am today.

It was 9.10.11.12.13.

I so wish that was true, Ralph.....but it's a great spot, anyway.

How is your golf & wildlife photography these days?

Still beating that Omaha Tourney on FT?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36185 on: December 12, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »

I hope anyone who has not read that now does so.

What a piece of writing by Miss Coren, (I'll scream if some pedant corrects that, she will always be "Miss Coren" to me), what touch & finesse she possesses.

Just look at this line.....

He was in a place beyond rules, the Twelfth Night that can follow a death sentence, and he enjoyed being the emperor of an upside-down world.

Absolyutely wonderfuyl writing.

Thanks for giving me that, Rich.

If only I could have the fortitude of Mr Diamind when my time comes. I'll probably just crawl into a corner, & not speak to a soul.

Wow at John Diamond, Nigella, & Vicki.

There is (are?) some talent & characters out there, eh?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36186 on: December 12, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

i dreamt of you last night teeks.

Patrick, you seriously worry me at times, you really do.

Dare I ask what it was about, or what role I played? Do you still have a girlfriend?

I confess, I spend far too much time thinking about you, in all manner of ways, but it's not reached the dreaming stage yet.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36187 on: December 12, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »

For the first time in my lfe, I've developed some back problems, & I can barely stand upright. I've never had a day off work for a "sickie" in my life, & I don't have any health problems, but age is starting to mess with me a treat.

Luckily, I've shed 2 stones, if not, it would be far worse.

I can barely sleep with the pain & discomfort, & I'm not used to ill-health, so it came as a bit of a shock to the system.

I retired early last night, exhausted from 2 sleepless nights, & immediately fell fast asleep, blessed relief, ahhhh.....

And then, I got a text,. A really nice text, actually, from, a friend of many years standing. I like him. I do, honest. He just wanted to say hi, & catch up. Very touching, & I'm really most pleased & grateful. But not so much @ 1.15 this morning.

I was really pleased he sent that at 1.15am. 

oops, many apologies if that was me mate.

Ha!

No, it was not you Phil, nor was it from Reykjavic.

The Gent in question has been texting me at 3am for many years, & he knows it makes me cross, because I have mentioned it 27,000 times. He even started the text by saying "I know you are going to moan about the time of this text", lol.

He IS a nice chap, & he DOES mean well, but some folks, who have not really lived in the real world, just dont get it. Manners, convention, etiquette, consideration for others, don't come so easy to the internet generation, as the nature of relationships online are so impersonal now.  Forums, Twitter & FB are 24/7 mediums, which don't disturb anyone, so thats fine, but 'phone calls & texts are different. Many don't seem to be aware of that very important difference. The lad has a heart of gold, & would definitely not to it deliberately.

It's not a big deal I suppose, but I'm ultra grumpy right now with the back pain & lack of sleep, so being woken by a text @ 1.15am did not fill me with pleasure.

It's not a swipe at the lad, I just find it a very very peculiar thing to do. How many grown ups here would text or 'phone a friend at 1.15am without first considering if it were convenient? Do it for the craic, yes, but do it wiithout it even crossing your mind that it was out of order?

Anyway, time is such a precious resource, we must move on.

How was your trip to Baltimore, Las Vegas, Seattle, Iceland, & Manchester?

I know what you mean. I have a mate who couldn't resist ringing me in the middle of the night when he was pissed and I got arsey with him and told him to stop doing it as there was nothing he could tell me at 2am when drunk that I needed to know that urgently. His pathetic reply was ' well I don't even remember doing it, when I'm pissed I do daft things'

So I pointed out to him that it was just ridiculous to say he couldn't remember ringing me in the middle of the night when he was drunk......because he always remembered to ring me in the middle of the night when he was drunk. Thankfully he hasn't done it since.

I didn't make it to Baltimore, it was NY, Washington, Vegas and the Seattle and then Reykjavik for a pit stop on the way home. The sporting highlight was deffo the game in Seattle, it was an amazing experience and I loved the city and general positivity around the place. I haven't been to NY for ten years or so and went to the 9/11 museum and memorial site. It was a very emotional morning looking through the museum and watching interviews and clips of footage from that day and the weeks and months afterwards. Very difficult not to be upset when people are openly sobbing as they move around the timeline walls and pieces of personal items found in the rubble of people that perished that day. Most upsetting was a video interview with a man who had helped to form the Band of Dads who were a group of fathers that went to the site to search for their children and help to remove debris from the site. They united in a effort to help each other search for their sons, daughters and relatives and some stayed on as volunteers until the site was cleared, just going to meet their new friends and helping every day.

The saddest thing I saw was an interview with one of these guys who calmly explained what the Band of Dads meant to them all at the time and how it helped to just have people there that understood what they were feeling. He then started sobbing and said he still felt guilty that he was one of the lucky ones in the group because he had found his son's body and was able to bury him. He now knows where he is, he still feels guilty that some of the Dad's never got to do that.

I think a lot of us could remember how fortunate we are and be thankful that when we talk about running good or being unlucky that being able to bury our children isn't something we ever have to consider as lucky.

http://www.groundzeromuseumworkshop.com/band/dad.htm

Which reminds me, I've not replied to the poor chap yet. I really must.

I wonder what the most convenient time would be? So I can avoid it, you understand.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36188 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »

Without the Thames Barrier, this was estimated to have been the London flooding this week

I'm not 100% certain I buy that, but it may be true. It's certainly at least partly true.

It cost around £700 milion to buikd, all told, & would have paid for itself on that single night alone, & many times over. Value for money in Government infrastructure projects does exist then.

There is a certain irony, of course. The Goverrnemt paid for it, and as a result, private Insurance Companies were saved from paying out many billions of pounds. 

Strange world.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36189 on: December 12, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

Hi Tikay how are you?

All good thank you.

I'm a bit behind with stuff, (like a LOT) but I'll write to you soonest.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36190 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »

why have sky sports taken to shooting a lot of sports content in the canteen at osterley and not studios?

its utterly strange to see presenter and pundit on lots of preview shows perched on stools behind a counter while staff and customers order their breakfast/lunch/tea behind them, noise of this included.

Perhaps it is just me

Good question, I shall find out for you.

We are encouraged to have Meetings in the Staff Restaurants & Cafeterias (PLEASE, not "canteen", workmen & common people use Canteens), & I've noticed them filming sports pieces to Camera several times. 

I saw Miss Jackson on Sky Sports News last night. Another Sky Poker Team Member who made good......Hartigan can't be many miles behind her.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36191 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

Yet again, my invitation to the Dorchester got lost in the post. Mbn to get invos to this sort of gig?

As it's Xmas party season and you're all over it like a rash, will you be going to China Mug's dinner bash at the G on the 16th?

Your Invite was not sent for fear you'd poll up in a Poshies replica shirt. And because you are common.

Xmas Parties? Don't even ask.

Last Thursday was the SB&G one, up in Leeds, & the very next day, the Ch 861 one, in London.

I was unavailable for both.

I just cba with doing things I don't enjoy any more. I mean no ill, & I hope they had a great time, but it's not my bag at all.  I've been reluctantly attending these Xmas do's for over 50 years now. No more, enough is enough, a line has been drawn. 

I was at home both evenings, totally alone, totally happy, playing £5 & £11 PLO SNG's Online. Now that is as relaxing as it gets, with the door locked, the 'phone turned off. 4 or 5 hours of uninterrupted bliss. I love it. 

In PLO8, of course, outdraws are ten a penny, but they don't bother me an iota, jot or tickle. Ironside - who I respect muchly - has a little staking thread, in which I've invested - only pennies - & I follow his Daily ups & downs. It is a litany of "ffs", "aarggh", "fml" & the like. I asked him if he was enjoying it - it does not look like he is - & he says he is. 

The older I get, the less I understand these things. If a game of poker did that to me, I'd stop in a heartbeat.

We are all different I suppose, & just as well. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36192 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »

i dreamt of you last night teeks.

Patrick, you seriously worry me at times, you really do.

Dare I ask what it was about, or what role I played? Do you still have a girlfriend?

I confess, I spend far too much time thinking about you, in all manner of ways, but it's not reached the dreaming stage yet.

I am just disappointed he didn't ring you up to tell you about it.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36193 on: December 12, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »

Without the Thames Barrier, this was estimated to have been the London flooding this week

I'm not 100% certain I buy that, but it may be true. It's certainly at least partly true.

It cost around £700 milion to buikd, all told, & would have paid for itself on that single night alone, & many times over. Value for money in Government infrastructure projects does exist then.

There is a certain irony, of course. The Goverrnemt paid for it, and as a result, private Insurance Companies didn't get to charge a hefty premium to insure those many billions of pounds. 

Strange world.

FYP

You may not be aware, but the Government pays for flood defences in exchange for insurers agreeing to insure homes.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23082174

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36194 on: December 12, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »

There is a certain irony, of course. The Goverrnemt paid for it, and as a result, private Insurance Companies didn't get to charge a hefty premium to insure those many billions of pounds. 

Strange world.

FYP

You may not be aware, but the Government pays for flood defences in exchange for insurers agreeing to insure homes.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23082174

Ahh, thank you, that makes sense, & seems a perfectly reasonable way to proceed.

You have filled a considerable gap in my knowledge. There may yet be other gaps yet to be discovered.

Pages: 1 ... 2409 2410 2411 2412 [2413] 2414 2415 2416 2417 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: