blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2749 2750 2751 2752 [2753] 2754 2755 2756 2757 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333684 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41280 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:58 AM »

http://www.derehamtimes.co.uk/news/mid_norfolk_railway_secures_historic_turntable_for_its_dereham_station_1_3987271

I've never seen one of these in operation Pops , looking forward to when the renovation is complete.

Turntables, David?

Lordy, now you've started me off.

Think I can honestly say that as a litle boy, with a Dad who was a steam engine driver, the turntable at OLd Oak Common locomotive shed was the centre of my universe.

Dad would let me walk to work with him, & go have a wander around the shed. Loco depots were always known as "sheds" back then.

There was little or no natural light, it was dark, & a cocktail of steam & smoke made everything dark, dirty & grimy.

I was at my happiest ever, maybe in my whole life, stood by a turntable, which would be surrounded by steam locomotives.

Old Oak Common was the shed for Paddington. Steam hauled trains would arrive at Paddington, be de-coupled from the carriages, then proceed, tender first (i.e., backwards) to Old Oak Common shed, where they would be re-coaled & watered, turned on the turntable, then go tender first back to Paddington to collect their next set of passenger carriages. You can't do a 3 point turn in a railway locomotive, reversing their direction is near impossible.  

Turntables are almost non-existent now, modern Diesel, Diesel Electric & Electric locomotives are "uni-direction", & can travel in either direction without needing to be turned. That was not the case with high speed steam locomotives, although little tankers could work backwards if need be.

Turntables were manually operated. Put simply, the driver & fireman literally pushed the turntable round. (A steam loco such as the King class weighs around 90 tons). So, two blokes pushed 90 tons, weith no mechanical assistance.  The whole turntable balanced on a centre pivot, to make it easier to push.  

Some of these photos give a real sense of how dirty & dingy a steam shed was.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:31:57 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41281 on: March 17, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »

For those who enjoy poker Blogs, here's Rob's effort. Seems he is on 'Stars now. He plays full time, just PLO & PLO8 I think.

rfqqbhhjyurfdghgukytuyrytfd probably knows of him. 

http://pokeranimal.blogspot.co.uk/

Why not meet up with Rob in the 3/6 nlo8 cap games?  Think it will be just your thing.   Raise $120, call; raise $120, call; raise $120, fold. It is possible to do $1k in 20 minutes up or down 1 tabling.  Rob will play you at as many tables as you like.

Think there is a $600 plo8 when I am there.  Woohoo

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41282 on: March 17, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »

For those who enjoy poker Blogs, here's Rob's effort. Seems he is on 'Stars now. He plays full time, just PLO & PLO8 I think.

Why not meet up with Rob in the 3/6 nlo8 cap games?  Think it will be just your thing.   Raise $120, call; raise $120, call; raise $120, fold. It is possible to do $1k in 20 minutes up or down 1 tabling.  Rob will play you at as many tables as you like.

You gotta be kidding (you are...), I'd crap myself I think.

One day, maybe.

Back in the Ladbrokes days, maybe 10 years since, I built up around $10,000 in my account, mostly from NLH MTT's, then decided to go play some $5 $10 PLO. That went well.

I am tinkering with the notion of playing some Online PLO cash, just to test myself, at sensible stakes. I think about it every day, then just sort of think "nah, not today, I'll leave it until tomorrow". 

God, I adore PLO & PLO8, I could play it all day, every day. When I get the tin tack, that's the plan, give that a try for a while, just sit all day seeing if I can cover my living costs. I know I could earn around £1,000 a month playing my little £5 & £10 DYM's for sure. I make about (average) £200 per month at the mo, just playing a few hours in the evenings, maybe 15 evenings per month, so if I could get more volume in, it ought to be possible. Then again, all the day-dreamers say that I suppose.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #41283 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »

Thought you might like this article about Foyles

The man who transformed bookshop chain Foyles
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31814498

I knew a fair bit about the Foyles story already, but it does add some interesting stuff.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41284 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »

Thought you might like this article about Foyles

The man who transformed bookshop chain Foyles
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31814498

I knew a fair bit about the Foyles story already, but it does add some interesting stuff.

Good read, that. I well remember these days at Foyles.....

Firstly, books were not ordered alphabetically at Foyles' vast, but ramshackle store on London's Charing Cross Road. Instead they were grouped together by publisher.

If you eventually found what you were looking for on its 30 miles of shelving, then your problems were far from over. Because instead of simply going to pay at a till, you were required to queue three times.

To begin with, you had to collect a paper invoice for the book in question, which you were required to take to a different part of the shop to pay. Then you had to go somewhere else in the building to finally be given the book.

I'm due up there again shortly, I have finished my Xmas batch.

Think I'll try that other one in Piccadilly, too.

I was in St Pancras Station recently, so I tried their fancy new bookshop. Never again, proper shambles.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41285 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »

One day, maybe.

Back in the Ladbrokes days, maybe 10 years since, I built up around $10,000 in my account, mostly from NLH MTT's, then decided to go play some $5 $10 PLO. That went well.

I am tinkering with the notion of playing some Online PLO cash, just to test myself, at sensible stakes. I think about it every day, then just sort of think "nah, not today, I'll leave it until tomorrow". 

God, I adore PLO & PLO8, I could play it all day, every day. When I get the tin tack, that's the plan, give that a try for a while, just sit all day seeing if I can cover my living costs. I know I could earn around £1,000 a month playing my little £5 & £10 DYM's for sure. I make about (average) £200 per month at the mo, just playing a few hours in the evenings, maybe 15 evenings per month, so if I could get more volume in, it ought to be possible. Then again, all the day-dreamers say that I suppose.

If you ever quit, it is getting harder on stars to play plo8, nlo8 Hypers have taken over at higher stakes and are working their way down.  You'd probably like the plo8 18 mans there.   They don't run above $15 now, which is probably right up your street anyway.

Given the "success" of the 3/6 cap nlo8, they have opened up 1/2 cap and 2/4 cap.  As above, it is very volatile, and the rake is brutal.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41286 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »

One day, maybe.

If you ever quit, it is getting harder on stars to play plo8, nlo8 Hypers have taken over at higher stakes and are working their way down. You'd probably like the plo8 18 mans there.   They don't run above $15 now, which is probably right up your street anyway.

Given the "success" of the 3/6 cap nlo8, they have opened up 1/2 cap and 2/4 cap.  As above, it is very volatile, and the rake is brutal.  

Sounds right up my street, even though I imagine the standard of play is far higher there. Is there much liquidity, can you get 5 or 6 games running at the same time?

Sounds strange coming from me, Mr No Gamble No Bottle, but I'm utterly confident in my ability to win at that level of buy-in in PLO8.

I'm almost certainly deluded, we all think we can beat the game, don't we?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41287 on: March 17, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »

Just so I can keep track, this is my current Vegas wish list. It's a wish list, nothing more, this is way outside my means, but I need the list so I can decide what I can & can't play, something to work from, & also so I can try & plan the dates I'd like to be there. Some events clash, especially if making Day Two, so that knocks a few off.  

The WSOP $1,500 PLO8 & Venetian $600 Big O are on the same date, so that knocks a few bob off the theoretical total.

Venetian, Sunday 30th May, $600 PLO

PH, Monday 1st June $150 PLO

GN, Wednesday 3rd June, 11am, $240 PLO

GN, Monday 8th June, 11am, $240 PLO8

PH, Monday 8th June, $150 PLO

GN, Wednesday 10th June, $560 PLO

WSOP Thursday 11th June, $1,000 PLO

Venetian, Friday 12th June, $600 PLO8

WSOP Sunday 14th June - $3,000 PLO8

Venetian, Monday June 15th, $600 PLO

PH, Monday June 15th, $150 PLO8

WSOP Tuesday 16th June - $1,500 PLO

Venetian, Friday/Saturday June 19th/20th, $1,100 PLO8

(WSOP Monday 22nd June $3,000 PLO 6-Max)

WSOP Tuesday 23rd June $1,500 PLO8

Venetian Tuesday June 23rd, $600 Big O

GN, Tuesday 23rd June, 11am, $350 PLO8

Venetian, Tuesday/Wednesday June 30th/July 1st, $1,100 PLO

Must be the fat end of $15,000 there, though some are easy to cull, the WSOP $3,000 6-Max for example, which must be the greatest comp ever, but them boys might be a bit too hot. Many of them clash, too, so maybe not as pricey as it looks.

Still, if I binked big early in the shedule, boomio, might just have a spin. If.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:01:22 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41288 on: March 17, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »

Updated Potential Vegas Staking 2015

These are non-binding by the buyers - they can withdraw later if they wish, if & when the package comes together.

Much appreciated Gents (& Lady), thank you.

redsimon - 1%

NAKOR - 1%

Sharplea - 1%

Mohican - 1%

Knottikay - 1%

Quite Old Fen Bloke - 1%

Forth Thistle - 1%

MANTITS - 5%

sonour - 1%

engy - 1%

Very Elderly Ex Posh Bloke, Dunstable region, yuh - Full Monty (maybe)  

Mr PLO8 Longines 1%

Omm 1%

Redbull 1%

Matt The Hoople 1% (offered via PM to take up to 5% if it remains available)

Bobby1 - £150
(via PM)

Adam Picken 1%

BOOKED

Bumped for my reference. It's all non-binding so far.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41289 on: March 17, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

One day, maybe.

If you ever quit, it is getting harder on stars to play plo8, nlo8 Hypers have taken over at higher stakes and are working their way down. You'd probably like the plo8 18 mans there.   They don't run above $15 now, which is probably right up your street anyway.

Sounds right up my street, even though I imagine the standard of play is far higher there. Is there much liquidity, can you get 5 or 6 games running at the same time?

Sounds strange coming from me, Mr No Gamble No Bottle, but I'm utterly confident in my ability to win at that level of buy-in in PLO8.

I'm almost certainly deluded, we all think we can beat the game, don't we?

I wouldn't say the standard was high in those games.  The 50 and 100 MTTs are much tougher.  I guess you could get 4/5 if you include the $7 ones, but I never play them.  It is more 1 or 2 at once in the evenings for $15.

As I say, the game is undee threat from nlo8.  I'd expect the number of tables to fall as time goes by.  Maybe the hyper thing will fade, but faster and faster games killed the slower games in NL STTs on several sites.  All about the rakeback.

animalpoker

View Profile
« Reply #41290 on: March 17, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »

I'm good thanks I still lurk here often Wink

Yes its added a lot of potential $ to my total buyins this year too.  Last year I bought into $14k of total tournaments and already expecting it to be at least 1.5 x that this year. 

Likely similar dates/games and hotel this year as im booked 31st may for 33nights at Rio but the dates could change yet. 

Blogs died for now I think, a bit like the plo8 games online Sad      As Doobs pointed out  CAPs is my choice of game for the last couple months and time being.   The swings are nuts and I lost $600 in my first 12 mins earlier 1 tabling so $1k in 20minutes is not only possible, its common Smiley   I need a stop loss for the day and set one at -$5k , the only trouble is the 2 or 3 times i've hit it i've carried on anyway ! 

Its all about the rakeback in these although unfortunately those new lower levels are nearly unbeatable due to the higher % of rake to the blinds.  Caps gets a bit of blame for decline in other games which is very unfair as it attracts a different type of player and often one u wont see playing the other game types.  There are no caps on the other 2 or 3 sites I used to play yet they have similar declines in traffic for all the common reasons we all know about and have been discussed before for not just O8 type games.

Agree u would like the 18mans , I played them a few years ago when 7 s and 15s ran all day.   Looking now there is 1 $7 and no 15s.  Its all $3.5 and $1.5 that's there's loads of running early evening.

Anyway back to vegas stuff, nice wishlist.   $1500 is 24th not 23rd so only the "bad" clash from my (maybe your) is the BIG O and PLO8 at nugget on the 23rd.  Obv still wynn aria and planet Hollywood schedules to come but I expect 0-1 games to appeal to me from each of these.

I will take 1% if you still selling , if not put me on a reserve list Smiley
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #41291 on: March 17, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »

That Big O at V. looks tasty and buy in suits my tastes/bankroll (such as I have an actual Bankroll Smiley )

Big issue now is, I boycotted V. last year, well I went twice just to have food using my comps I'd built up. My mucker Oldkingcole played a few events and said the place was rammed each time.

Boycott fizzled out?

As its the only Big O on the schedules released I might have to swallow my principles Sad

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #41292 on: March 17, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »

That Big O at V. looks tasty and buy in suits my tastes/bankroll (such as I have an actual Bankroll Smiley )

Big issue now is, I boycotted V. last year, well I went twice just to have food using my comps I'd built up. My mucker Oldkingcole played a few events and said the place was rammed each time.

Boycott fizzled out?

As its the only Big O on the schedules released I might have to swallow my principles Sad

To be fair the boycott never really happened. There were a few myself included who continue to refuse to spend a cent in an Shedon Adelson casino. I think a mixture of apathy and knowledge on Adelson's views/ campaigns meant that nothing really happened.

Shame really as the man is doing anything he can to prevent Internet poker progressing in the us.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #41293 on: March 18, 2015, 02:46:39 AM »

Book 1%.  Can just swap in our tourneys of equivalent value again like last year?

Well done tonight.  GL tomorrow.  GLGLGL Thursday.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #41294 on: March 18, 2015, 03:12:14 AM »

Just so I can keep track, this is my current Vegas wish list. It's a wish list, nothing more, this is way outside my means, but I need the list so I can decide what I can & can't play, something to work from, & also so I can try & plan the dates I'd like to be there. Some events clash, especially if making Day Two, so that knocks a few off.  

The WSOP $1,500 PLO8 & Venetian $600 Big O are on the same date, so that knocks a few bob off the theoretical total.

Venetian, Sunday 30th June, $600 PLO

GN, Wednesday 3rd June, 11am, $240 PLO

GN, Monday 8th June, 11am, $240 PLO8

GN, Wednesday 10th June, $560 PLO

WSOP Thursday 11th June, $1,000 PLO

Venetian, Friday 12th June, $600 PLO8

WSOP Sunday 14th June - $3,000 PLO8

Venetian, Monday June 15th, $600 PLO

WSOP Tuesday 16th June - $1,500 PLO

Venetian, Friday/Saturday June 19th/20th, $1,100 PLO8

(WSOP Monday 22nd June $3,000 PLO 6-Max)

WSOP Tuesday 23rd June $1,500 PLO8

Venetian Tuesday June 23rd, $600 Big O

GN, Tuesday 23rd June, 11am, $350 PLO8

Venetian, Tuesday/Wednesday June 30th/July 1st, $1,100 PLO

Must be the fat end of $15,000 there, though some are easy to cull, the WSOP $3,000 6-Max for example, which must be the greatest comp ever, but them boys might be a bit too hot.

Still, if I binked big early in the shedule, boomio, might just have a spin. If.

I'm in for 1%!

I think your game is far more well suited so 9-max rather than 6max but if you do play the $3k PLO we can swap 1% too.

I think I might even play the $25k PLO this year. Eek that's exciting

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: 1 ... 2749 2750 2751 2752 [2753] 2754 2755 2756 2757 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: