blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3273 3274 3275 3276 [3277] 3278 3279 3280 3281 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6335097 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49140 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:14 AM »

Smartphone. AINEC.

Well yes, that changed everything, too, but without the internet there would be no smartphones.

Yes but by that logic without papyrus there would be no Internet.

PS- I'm feeling ornery.

The older I get, the better I was.
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #49141 on: June 21, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »

The bare ace one seemed fine.  Your opponent's call seemed ambitious vs an old fella to me.  I flap a bit making the call with a king flush.

Surprised how many of the other hands I'd have played differently though.   Do you always open pot?  I noticed that you said a min raise seemed odd which is something I frequently do.  There are way more differences in playing styles in plo8, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

Anyway in Vegas now, so will likely see you tomorrow.  I have a new trick for getting an upgrade.  You arrive at the hotel to be told no rooms are available.  You then return an hour and 20 later to be told that there are still no rooms.  I must have given her a look that made her think it was wise to upgrade me right then.  I am worried about my poker face though.

Welcome to Vegas, David, hope the flight was ok. How are you sleeping now?

I just paid in for tomorrow. Got seat ........2. Marv.

No, I vary my opening size, depending on table, stacks, blinds, position, da de da.

When I referred to the guy who made an "odd" min-raise it was because he was UTG. Inevitably, a chain reaction set in and he ended up with a bunch of callers and a bloated pot out of position. It may have been intentional, of course, but I doubt it.

Not sure I put it on the boards, but it might be interesting to a few snorers.

I got diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea a week and a half ago.  I have been struggling with staying awake during the day for some time.  It had started to get a bit ridiculous.  I tried sleeping for up to 10 hours, tried healthy diets, tried getting rid of caffeine.  None of which seemed to make any difference.  I couldn't sit through match of the day or a film without crashing out.  No idea how many times I got woken up by the beep beep on pokerstars.  A fair few times it didn't wake me, so suspect it was costing me a fortune. The final straw was falling asleep at my work desk 2 hours after getting up from a "good nights" sleep.  It was pretty much happening daily and often twice a day.  

When it wasn't so bad 2 years ago, I first went to the doctors, but don't think I pushed it hard enough.  I pretty much underplay things at the doctors, and work away a lot, meaning I didn't get any follow up.  

This time I made sure I explained really how bad it was.  Anyway they gave me a pulse oximeter, which measures the oxygen in the blood.  They called me in pretty quick after that.  Apparently I was getting 65 apnoeas an hour.  Or my oxygen level was dropping 65 times in an hour, which effectively was waking me up each time and I was never getting deep sleep.  As I was so tired, I wasn't aware this was happening. I am not a doctor, so apologies if this explation isn't accurate.  Apparently 30 is the border for severe, so I'd left it pretty late.

So a week or so later I was in papworth and now have my own cpap machine.  What it does is force air into your lungs to stop your airway collapsing (which stops you breathing).  First night I was asleep for 4 hours.  I could have bounded out of bed right then, apart from it wasn't even 4am.  

The mask is pretty horrid to wear, and doubly so in this hot weather we have had.  But 3 or 4 hours of crappy sleep with the mask falling off, blowing in my face etc is so much better than the sleep I was getting before.  No idea how long it has beem going on, but it is years since I have had the energy I have now.

I am still struggling with the mask, but a lot of people do.  I think it is a question of getting used to a new way of sleeping.  

If anyone reading thinks this applies to them, get it checked out.  Apparently only about 20% of the people with sleep disorders are diagnosed, and I suspect overweight poker players are a good fit for the other 80%.  Any questions, just ask here or pm me.

It is nearly 5 uk time right now.  Zero chance I could have stayed up this late 2 weeks ago.  And hopefully my poker game should be much improved now I cam concentrate again.  So yes, way better, but dreading the cpap/air conditoning combo.  Hopefully it won't be too shit.  Anyway Ascot is on the box early in the morning so gn and see you at 11ish.

Sorry for the wall of text, feel free to tldr.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea a few years ago when just prior to a minor op my wife noted that I was stopping breathing during the night. I had the sleep test and went back for the results and the consultant told me I had it and said I could not drive until I had the mask fitted etc, I pointed out that i lived an hour away and had driven there he just shrugged and implied I should be very careful driving back!.

I am no where near as bad as yourself in terms of the number of times but was surprise by how often it was happening. The mask is the hardest thing to get used to but you do find that eventually it becomes second nature. One clue to having sleep apnoea is if you regularly wake up with a mild headache (i used too regularly but tended not to drop asleep during the day so it was hidden).

The risk factors with not having the illness identified is increased risk of many other illnesses so I would echo the suggestion to get it checked out.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #49142 on: June 21, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »

The bare ace one seemed fine.  Your opponent's call seemed ambitious vs an old fella to me.  I flap a bit making the call with a king flush.

Surprised how many of the other hands I'd have played differently though.   Do you always open pot?  I noticed that you said a min raise seemed odd which is something I frequently do.  There are way more differences in playing styles in plo8, so I wouldn't worry unduly.

Anyway in Vegas now, so will likely see you tomorrow.  I have a new trick for getting an upgrade.  You arrive at the hotel to be told no rooms are available.  You then return an hour and 20 later to be told that there are still no rooms.  I must have given her a look that made her think it was wise to upgrade me right then.  I am worried about my poker face though.

Welcome to Vegas, David, hope the flight was ok. How are you sleeping now?

I just paid in for tomorrow. Got seat ........2. Marv.

No, I vary my opening size, depending on table, stacks, blinds, position, da de da.

When I referred to the guy who made an "odd" min-raise it was because he was UTG. Inevitably, a chain reaction set in and he ended up with a bunch of callers and a bloated pot out of position. It may have been intentional, of course, but I doubt it.

Not sure I put it on the boards, but it might be interesting to a few snorers.

I got diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea a week and a half ago.  I have been struggling with staying awake during the day for some time.  It had started to get a bit ridiculous.  I tried sleeping for up to 10 hours, tried healthy diets, tried getting rid of caffeine.  None of which seemed to make any difference.  I couldn't sit through match of the day or a film without crashing out.  No idea how many times I got woken up by the beep beep on pokerstars.  A fair few times it didn't wake me, so suspect it was costing me a fortune. The final straw was falling asleep at my work desk 2 hours after getting up from a "good nights" sleep.  It was pretty much happening daily and often twice a day.  

When it wasn't so bad 2 years ago, I first went to the doctors, but don't think I pushed it hard enough.  I pretty much underplay things at the doctors, and work away a lot, meaning I didn't get any follow up.  

This time I made sure I explained really how bad it was.  Anyway they gave me a pulse oximeter, which measures the oxygen in the blood.  They called me in pretty quick after that.  Apparently I was getting 65 apnoeas an hour.  Or my oxygen level was dropping 65 times in an hour, which effectively was waking me up each time and I was never getting deep sleep.  As I was so tired, I wasn't aware this was happening. I am not a doctor, so apologies if this explation isn't accurate.  Apparently 30 is the border for severe, so I'd left it pretty late.

So a week or so later I was in papworth and now have my own cpap machine.  What it does is force air into your lungs to stop your airway collapsing (which stops you breathing).  First night I was asleep for 4 hours.  I could have bounded out of bed right then, apart from it wasn't even 4am.  

The mask is pretty horrid to wear, and doubly so in this hot weather we have had.  But 3 or 4 hours of crappy sleep with the mask falling off, blowing in my face etc is so much better than the sleep I was getting before.  No idea how long it has beem going on, but it is years since I have had the energy I have now.

I am still struggling with the mask, but a lot of people do.  I think it is a question of getting used to a new way of sleeping.  

If anyone reading thinks this applies to them, get it checked out.  Apparently only about 20% of the people with sleep disorders are diagnosed, and I suspect overweight poker players are a good fit for the other 80%.  Any questions, just ask here or pm me.

It is nearly 5 uk time right now.  Zero chance I could have stayed up this late 2 weeks ago.  And hopefully my poker game should be much improved now I cam concentrate again.  So yes, way better, but dreading the cpap/air conditoning combo.  Hopefully it won't be too shit.  Anyway Ascot is on the box early in the morning so gn and see you at 11ish.

Sorry for the wall of text, feel free to tldr.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea a few years ago when just prior to a minor op my wife noted that I was stopping breathing during the night. I had the sleep test and went back for the results and the consultant told me I had it and said I could not drive until I had the mask fitted etc, I pointed out that i lived an hour away and had driven there he just shrugged and implied I should be very careful driving back!.

I am no where near as bad as yourself in terms of the number of times but was surprise by how often it was happening. The mask is the hardest thing to get used to but you do find that eventually it becomes second nature. One clue to having sleep apnoea is if you regularly wake up with a mild headache (i used too regularly but tended not to drop asleep during the day so it was hidden).

The risk factors with not having the illness identified is increased risk of many other illnesses so I would echo the suggestion to get it checked out.

From what I was told, DVLA are more lenient now.  You should tell them, but you should be fine if controlled by a mask.  I have really cut down on driving over the last year, as I have been a bit worried about falling asleep behind the wheel.  Sure that is all over now.

In better news, just watched the sunrise in Vegas and Royal Ascot is on NBC Sports.  Later on playing the PLO at the WSOP.  Life is good.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49143 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:39 PM »

If you're prone to falling asleep with little provocation then perhaps reading Tikay's diary isn't the optimum thing to be doing.

Teeks - saw yesterday that Vegas was hitting 46 degrees during the day, which scarcely even seems like it could be a real thing. I do hope you are rationing your sunbathing with the honeys down at the pool accordingly.
Pompeynick

View Profile
« Reply #49144 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

In no particular order,

Man walking on the moon
Organ transplants / medical advancements
Fall of Berlin wall and subsequent freedom of eastern block countries
The overcoming of apartheid and rise of a multi racial South Africa under Nelson Mandela. ( it could have been a bloodbath)
9/11
Falklands
Princess Diana
Advancements in computing/internet ( I remember saying to a teacher in my first computer studies lesson that this would never catch on, as I could only get the screen to show Syntax error)
Varied ways in which natural disasters remind us that we are puny in the face of real power ( Eruption of Mt St Helens, Tsunami, Droughts, Tornados etc)
Lockerbie bombing
Probably lots that I am unable to recall
Pompeynick

View Profile
« Reply #49145 on: June 21, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »

In no particular order,

Man walking on the moon
Organ transplants / medical advancements
Fall of Berlin wall and subsequent freedom of eastern block countries
The overcoming of apartheid and rise of a multi racial South Africa under Nelson Mandela.
9/11
Falklands
Princess Diana
Advancements in computing/internet ( I remember saying to a teacher in my first computer studies lesson that this would never catch on, as I could only get the screen to show Syntax error)
Varied ways in which natural disasters remind us that we are puny in the face of real power ( Eruption of Mt St Helens, Tsunami, Droughts, Tornados etc)
Lockerbie bombing
Probably lots that I am unable to recall

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #49146 on: June 21, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

Sounds like some worrying stuff, Doobs.

Glad you've got to the bottom of it, and hopefully it will not cause too many problems going forward.

I remember when I was in the mob, they thought I was narcoleptic, because I fell asleep standing up when were in the middle of DOST.

I'd just done a month on the piss, as I was part of the summer duties crew alongside, and was just tired. I told the ship doctor this, but they had me chucked on a boat back to Devonport, and sent to Haslar for sleep tests Cheesy

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #49147 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »

My friend from Phoenix has one of these sleep masks and says how much better he feels after using it
He was 300 lbs but has been on a Cambridge type diet for the last 12 months losing 65lbs
Says he still uses it and swears by it ,on a vegas trip he forgot it n said he felt awful tired etc .
I'm a similar size n snore like a rhino ,he says I should try one ,the mrs says it would be like sleeping with Darth Vader !
stick with it mate if you can see the results
I was in bed by 830 pm last night as I was tired ,maybe u need one ??
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #49148 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »

Diana
9/11
7/7
Boxing day Tsunami
Brevik (sp)
Jimmy Saville and the subsequent trials/convictions
Invasion of Iraq under Blair
London riots

Edit to add the missing Malaysian Airlines plane
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:56:30 PM by hhyftrftdr » Logged

Best Bitter.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #49149 on: June 21, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »

A few that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

JFK
Sharon Tate
Idi Amin
The Six Day War

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49150 on: June 21, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

Bracelet hunting tonight Teeks ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49151 on: June 21, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »

Bracelet hunting tonight Teeks ?

In exactly 1 hour, to be precise, Mr Meh.

I paid in last night, & asked if I could be given a "better" seat as I had poor eyesight. That sure worked.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:04:09 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #49152 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »

Look out for Paul fowler an ex luton player trying his luck in this today ,
He's tall n ginger
Chompy might post a photo
God luck today
Lol I pad good luck too Smiley
We are by the pool again
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #49153 on: June 21, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

Your wish is my command. Here he is with Aussie Vic, who's checking his pulse mid-Luton comp

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49154 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »

In seat 1 to my seat 2 is none other than Tim Hi Diddly Hi Flanders.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 3273 3274 3275 3276 [3277] 3278 3279 3280 3281 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: