blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 2007 2008 [2009] 2010 2011 2012 2013 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296069 times)
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #30120 on: September 28, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »

That people like red Ferrari's ?

No no, not at all Ray!

ALL Ferraris should be red, who on earth would want any other colour. HAS to be red.  A yellow Ferrari is so so common.

Not a subscriber to this. Crass V8 Ferraris maybe. If I ever had a spare 5 figures, I'd have myself one of these, in this colour:

Click to see full-size image.

Nice refined 575M V12 GT. Lovely. Start at about 50k these days. Positively cheap.
That does look nice. Don't the other Ferraris owners call that a poor mans Ferrari tho?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30121 on: September 28, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

No no, not at all Ray!

ALL Ferraris should be red, who on earth would want any other colour. HAS to be red.  A yellow Ferrari is so so common.

Not a subscriber to this. Crass V8 Ferraris maybe. If I ever had a spare 5 figures, I'd have myself one of these, in this colour:

Nice refined 575M V12 GT. Lovely. Start at about 50k these days. Positively cheap.
That does look nice. Don't the other Ferraris owners call that a poor mans Ferrari tho?

Not that I know of. It was ~£150-180k when new, more than the contemporary V8 model (360/430) so I'd be surprised.

Or am I being trolled? Smiley

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30122 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

No no, not at all Ray!

Not that I know of. It was ~£150-180k when new, more than the contemporary V8 model (360/430) so I'd be surprised.

lol no not at all. £50k through me. Must be quite a few year old?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30123 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »

No no, not at all Ray!

lol no not at all. £50k through me. Must be quite a few year old?

Produced 2002-5. Be a while before it hits classic status. Thankfully not as old or rare as the last 250GTO to sell (for $35m). And that was lime green!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30124 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

I have just learned that a word you use to avoid swearing (fiddlesticks, shucks, dang...), it is called a minced oath.

Language. Bloomin brilliant, ain't it?!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30125 on: October 01, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »

I have just learned that a word you use to avoid swearing (fiddlesticks, shucks, dang...), it is called a minced oath.

I learned that last week, can't remember where, I presume it must have been QI.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30126 on: October 01, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

It's just such a wonderful way of phrasing it. Straight out of Wodehouse (NWA's less popular album)

BTW loving the George Costanza avatar. I use the 10 tips for not having to do any work wherever possible.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30127 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »

Only Connect, last night. Connecting Wall, examples were Darn, Freak, Shoot, and Dickens (which apparently substitutes for Devil).

Not that I'm a sad stalker of Victoria Coren or anything.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30128 on: October 02, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »

Only Connect, last night. Connecting Wall, examples were Darn, Freak, Shoot, and Dickens (which apparently substitutes for Devil).

This is indeed where I saw it. Just chose some other examples Smiley

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #30129 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »

You say that as though it's somehow wrong.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30130 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »

It was also on QI. It's the only place anyone learns anything these days. It was Coren who said it though. Presumably she learned it on Only Connect...
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30131 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »

What's with Tikay and Red not posting so much in the diaries at the moment. I do like to be educated on blonde Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30132 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »

Very!

I had never heard of "Minced Oath" previously, in fact I was pretty sure the expression was false. I was very wrong. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath

It seems, more precisely, to mean a non-swearing way of swearing. "Darn" for "Damn", "ruddy" for "bloody".

It is a bit odd, because I very much dislike to see "written" swearing, I think it comes across terribly, but I'm 100% fine with the minced oath versions.   

Chompy, for example, & much as I diss his dreadful tipping & pokering ability, is a bright guy - VERY bright, bright enough to live well without ever doing a proper days work, uses "farking" instead of "fucking". Infinitely better, imo.

We do not, of course, need to swear to insult anyone, either. Now & then Methuselah Minor or Red will want to express a view strongly, but they do it with beautifully chosen words, an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove. It's an absolute delight to see & read, too, almost a pleasure being attacked by them.

It is a generation gap thing of course, readily conceded, but swearing is still a no-go in so many parts of society, & I'm very glad about that. Newsreaders on TV, & for the most part, swearing on TV generally is not deemed acceptable. It's not acceptable in parts of business, either. I must have attended hundreds, if not thousands of Board Meetings as a Company Director, & I doubt I ever heard the word "fuck" once.

Next door, as part of our message, we do not allow it, either. Which causes a deal of mocking from some, but it does not seem to have harmed the business one iota, quite the opposite in fact. If I ever uttered a genuine profanity on the TV Show, I'd not wait for the message from upstairs, I'd just clear my desk & walk. And yes, I DO swear in the real world, but I think life has to be sub-divided into little compartments, where the rules are different.

I swore on a Live stream once, deliberately, though misguidely perhaps, different compartment, different rules. Of course I got some right stick for it, & I suppose rightly so, but it's hard to explain this compartment thing to those who don't want to understand. 

It's widely known that I love LilDave to bits, be in no doubt, I do, I think his crusade to make the poker world a better place, more enjoyable, less abuse, dissing & mocking, a GAME we ENJOY, is the greatest thing, & I hope to enjoin with him on that somehow. But, here's the thing.....

I have a "Sky Poker facing" Twitter feed, set up by the business for no other reason than for me to promote the business. And I try to mix it up a bit, dilute the % of spam with readable blogs & little anecdotes or stories that are not spam. 

So I started spamming Dave's Blog (& others), which did the blogs no harm at all, as I have a few thousand followers. But..........I had to stop doing it, because of the amount of profanities contained - it was not on message for us.  (I know Dave will understand what I'm saying, & I say it openly, not behind his back).

So, (I got there eventually), yes, language is THE most wonderful thing, & the great thing is that we all see it so differently. It will always be so, too.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30133 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »

As this is a different compartment.......here's Lil Dave's latest blog.

See, there is a difference. Wink

http://lildaveslife.blogspot.co.uk/

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30134 on: October 02, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »

Very!

I had never heard of "Minced Oath" previously, in fact I was pretty sure the expression was false. I was very wrong. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath

It seems, more precisely, to mean a non-swearing way of swearing. "Darn" for "Damn", "ruddy" for "bloody".

It is a bit odd, because I very much dislike to see "written" swearing, I think it comes across terribly, but I'm 100% fine with the minced oath versions.  

Chompy, for example, & much as I diss his dreadful tipping & pokering ability, is a bright guy - VERY bright, bright enough to live well without ever doing a proper days work, uses "farking" instead of "fucking". Infinitely better, imo.

We do not, of course, need to swear to insult anyone, either. Now & then Methuselah Minor or Red will want to express a view strongly, but they do it with beautifully chosen words, an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove. It's an absolute delight to see & read, too, almost a pleasure being attacked by them.

It is a generation gap thing of course, readily conceded, but swearing is still a no-go in so many parts of society, & I'm very glad about that. Newsreaders on TV, & for the most part, swearing on TV generally is not deemed acceptable. It's not acceptable in parts of business, either. I must have attended hundreds, if not thousands of Board Meetings as a Company Director, & I doubt I ever heard the word "fuck" once.

Next door, as part of our message, we do not allow it, either. Which causes a deal of mocking from some, but it does not seem to have harmed the business one iota, quite the opposite in fact. If I ever uttered a genuine profanity on the TV Show, I'd not wait for the message from upstairs, I'd just clear my desk & walk. And yes, I DO swear in the real world, but I think life has to be sub-divided into little compartments, where the rules are different.

I swore on a Live stream once, deliberately, though misguidely perhaps, different compartment, different rules. Of course I got some right stick for it, & I suppose rightly so, but it's hard to explain this compartment thing to those who don't want to understand.  

It's widely known that I love LilDave to bits, be in no doubt, I do, I think his crusade to make the poker world a better place, more enjoyable, less abuse, dissing & mocking, a GAME we ENJOY, is the greatest thing, & I hope to enjoin with him on that somehow. But, here's the thing.....

I have a "Sky Poker facing" Twitter feed, set up by the business for no other reason than for me to promote the business. And I try to mix it up a bit, dilute the % of spam with readable blogs & little anecdotes or stories that are not spam.  

So I started spamming Dave's Blog (& others), which did the blogs no harm at all, as I have a few thousand followers. But..........I had to stop doing it, because of the amount of profanities contained - it was not on message for us.  (I know Dave will understand what I'm saying, & I say it openly, not behind his back).

So, (I got there eventually), yes, language is THE most wonderful thing, & the great thing is that we all see it so differently. It will always be so, too.

Really interesting post. I think swearing can be absolutely f***ing fantastic and a gift to language. But it has to be used in the right context and not to the exception of other words. When someone simply replaces every other word with f*** it's not really the swearing that's offensive to me it's the absence of any real communication. It's just noise.

I don't see any reason ever to intentionally offend people, so in a context where people are offended by swearing then simply don't use it. But in a modern world, and even a modern workplace, to get overly offended by the way people speak seems as silly as insisting people strap bits of material around their necks to look smart. Oh wait, we still do that...
Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 2007 2008 [2009] 2010 2011 2012 2013 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: