blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2413 2414 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 2420 2421 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334173 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #36240 on: December 18, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »

Zimmer frame for Eskimos?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
ExiledDub

View Profile
« Reply #36241 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:54 AM »

Was walking through Waterloo this Monday changing from a mainline train to the Waterloo and City line when I hear an announcement for a train departing to Hampton Court.  Couldn't help but chuckle and think of the travel question.  Stopped and asked one of the LU guys you find at the ticket barrier and asked him what other line only has two stations...he looked back as if I had asked him for his wallet and then said "this one"...yeah thanks you've been a great help.

#nobodytellmeI'llworkthisouteventually
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36242 on: December 19, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

What's your thoughts on people like Ronnie Biggs/ Bruce Reynolds/Buster Edwards?

How about the Krays/Frankie Fraser type characters?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36243 on: December 23, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »

Thanks Adam.

Best thing about this time of year are (is?) these photo galleries, I love them to bits.

If anyone sees any, please post links to them.

I thought this photo was wonderful, though in a thoroughly dreadful way. Perfect framing by the photographer, too.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36244 on: December 23, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

Zimmer frame for Eskimos?

Not quite ready for that yet, Ralph....

They had a Caption Competition for the 2nd photo on last night's Show, & one of the winners was.....

"Tikay gets pulled by a bird for the first time in years"

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36245 on: December 23, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »

Was walking through Waterloo this Monday changing from a mainline train to the Waterloo and City line when I hear an announcement for a train departing to Hampton Court.  Couldn't help but chuckle and think of the travel question.  Stopped and asked one of the LU guys you find at the ticket barrier and asked him what other line only has two stations...he looked back as if I had asked him for his wallet and then said "this one"...yeah thanks you've been a great help.

#nobodytellmeI'llworkthisouteventually

Have you not sussed it yet?

Plenty of clues in the thread.

If you wish, I'll Post a photo which I took on the trip in a day or two which may help.

Remarkably, I asked the same question on Thursday's Show, during the 2 hour Sky Sports simulcast, & we had more viewer interaction about it than on any other Show in 7 years.

We also had NINE people who got the correct answer very quickly. Must be a soft site, I guess.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #36246 on: December 23, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »

Could you imagine if you'd simulcast on Stars, tho?

sick Q
Timebank has been activated
How cn u call w/that?
Whats a train?
Chop?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36247 on: December 23, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »

Top work Patrick, & same comments as I made to Adam, I love these annual galleries.

I do so like it when you are constructive, too, if you don't mind me saying so. I suppose we were all angry young men once. Long, long time ago in my case.

Another great gallery, but I'm curious about the photo below. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure the very same photo featured in several of the 2012 photo galleries, in fact there was some controversy over it. Maybe I'm just confused.

Anyway, thanks, & if you see any more, please post links.

I think the Boston Globe do one each year, very high quality too. Bongo used to post a link to it every year, but we no longer hear from him. People come, people go, we soon forget. Unless they are a hero, or troll, (trolls are heroes now, I gather) of course.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:50:51 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36248 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »

Could you imagine if you'd simulcast on Stars, tho?

sick Q
Timebank has been activated
How cn u call w/that?
Whats a train?
Chop?

Superb!

The word "sick" as used these days still baffles me, I have no idea if it means "good" or "bad", it seems to mean both.

Had a sick beat last night.

Stayed in a sick Villa in Vegas

Think I'd like to buy the whole world a thesaurus for Christmas.

I wont million.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36249 on: December 23, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »

What's your thoughts on people like Ronnie Biggs/ Bruce Reynolds/Buster Edwards?

Nice attempt to kick start my tumbleweed diary Vincent. You know my weaknesses.

I'm just so busy - happily, very happily - busy right now, so many fun things happening in my life, it's non-stop action.

UKPC pretty much occupies me full time, & I'm doing a ton of stuff for Ch 861 these days. 

"Fred" is almost a full time occupation just to try & keep up to date.

I am playing a lot of online poker lately, too (by my standards, anyway), almost every night, & even making money consistently. Who'd have thought?

Guess I need to cull some of my various interests, I simply can't cope these days. I probably get 25 PM's every day, too, between here & next door. And I love getting then, really, but I just get overwhelmed by trying to keep up with replies.

Anyway, I'll reply to your clever question next.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36250 on: December 23, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »

First, the "Great Train Robbery" characters.

Might just be the news story which enthralled me more than any other in my life.

There was no internet or roling news channels back then. I had not long learned to read, & I purchased every newspaper, every day, to scour them for news about the robbery.  

Later, as the various books came out, about the robbery, & the characters involved, I purchased evey single one, & I still have them all, some 40 odd years on.

I can recite all the names even now, without reference to google. Hussey, Field, Wisbech, Edwards, Reynolds, Wilson, Goody, Cordrey, Welch, Hussey, & of course Biggs.  Biggs sort of became a media hero, probably because of his prison escapes & travels, but he only played a small part in the robbery, & was not terribly bright.  

I've no idea why, but I sort of admired all of them to a greater or lesser degree, they were - yes, this was how I saw them at the time - heroes. When we are young, everyone is a hero, & we spend the rest of our life culling the list endlessly as we slowly figure out how life works.

Most of them were lifetime villains, spending more time in prison that out.  Quite why I'd admired such peopole is somerthing I don't understand, even to this day. But I did.

For those interested, there is a wiki Page which is pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)

One guy was paid his cut - £10,000 - in ten shilling notes! Can you imagine trying to spend that lot without arousing suspicion? He was supposed to torch the farm, to remove all evidence, but he did a runner, & spent the rest of his time evading capture & inevitable roughing up by the other gang members.

Tremendous story, but proved beyond doubt that crime does not pay, very few of them enjoyed the money, or retained their liberty.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:53:27 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36251 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »

That's a really good one, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Again, I have all the books, the lot, on the Krays. As the years go by, I like them less & less.

Frankie Fraser, on the other hand, is a whole different thing. It's not widely known that he was involved in the Great Train Robbery, but he was brighter than the average bear, & escaped detection. 

If I had to name 10 folks I'd like to meet before I do my clog-popping thing, Mad Frankie might just make the cut.

His book, "Memoirs of a Life of Crime", is amongst my all-time favourite books, & I've just re-read it for the umpteenth time.

He was a proper wrong 'un, & spent most of his life behind bars. And yet I almost idolise him.

Go figure, because I can't.

He lives in a care home these days, & was recently handed an ASBO after arguing with a fellow resident.

Anyone recognize the film star in this photo?

If ever a face said "don't fuck with me" it was this one.

Here he is, 88 years old, at the funeral of his old mucker, Charlie Richardson. No idea who Mr Stripey Suit is, but I'd love to have the nerve to wear a suit like that. He is probably a librarian, florist, or an actuary. You never can tell with these quiet sorts.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #36252 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

There was a good two part drama on the BBC last week about the Great train robbery Tony. Think you would enjoy it if you can find it on Iplayer.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36253 on: December 23, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »

There was a good two part drama on the BBC last week about the Great train robbery Tony. Think you would enjoy it if you can find it on Iplayer.

Yes please Phil, would love to see that.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #36254 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »

Does anyone else see Jim Broadbent as a policeman and think of Chief Inspector Slater?

Even when he was in Hot Fuzz, I kept expecting him to ask about van Kleef's diamonds.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 2413 2414 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 2420 2421 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: