blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272635 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2594 2595 2596 2597 [2598] 2599 2600 2601 2602 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6338225 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38955 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:44 PM »

These are gorgeous.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38956 on: July 14, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »

Vegas reading material.

I enjoy an hour before bed with a good book in Vegas, to provide balance to poker, sticky buns & the general Vegas hedonism. Not sure I could manage a month without books either, so it's mandatory to feed my addiction.

This year, I took 5 books, & finished 4 of them.

Flash Boys

Started really well  but tailed off dreadfully. Subject matter was essentially High Speed Electronic (Stock Market) Trading. Faster data communications means that brokers could front-run the market. To get faster data transmission, brokers did 2 things. First, data cable transmits faster if it is in a straight line, so they dug a trench to run a x hundred mile long cable from Manhatten to wherever, but tried to keep it's purpose secret duing comstruction. Then they learned that the nearer the server is to the point of original data, the faster the info is transmitted. Milli-seconds, with computerised automatic rapid trading, make all the difference.  So suddenly, previously abandoned & low-cost buildings near the Stock Exchanges suddenly became worth a fortune, as the Brokers all vied to occupy them.

Then the NYSE & NASDAQ opened up Data Centres well away from Manhattan, & then allowed the Brokers to rent space in that buiding, right next to the servers, to get even faster access.

Really interesting stuff, but the book ran out of steam late on.

4/10.

Interesting you thought it ran out of steam. It definitely dropped the pace a little, but that's partly because the early section is some of the best written prose you will read. It was still one of the best non-fiction books I've read this year. The ending is very creative too.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38957 on: July 14, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »

Vegas reading material.

I enjoy an hour before bed with a good book in Vegas, to provide balance to poker, sticky buns & the general Vegas hedonism. Not sure I could manage a month without books either, so it's mandatory to feed my addiction.

Flash Boys

Started really well  but tailed off dreadfully. Subject matter was essentially High Speed Electronic (Stock Market) Trading. Faster data communications means that brokers could front-run the market. To get faster data transmission, brokers did 2 things. First, data cable transmits faster if it is in a straight line, so they dug a trench to run a x hundred mile long cable from Manhatten to wherever, but tried to keep it's purpose secret duing comstruction. Then they learned that the nearer the server is to the point of original data, the faster the info is transmitted. Milli-seconds, with computerised automatic rapid trading, make all the difference.  So suddenly, previously abandoned & low-cost buildings near the Stock Exchanges suddenly became worth a fortune, as the Brokers all vied to occupy them.

Then the NYSE & NASDAQ opened up Data Centres well away from Manhattan, & then allowed the Brokers to rent space in that buiding, right next to the servers, to get even faster access.

4/10.

Interesting you thought it ran out of steam. It definitely dropped the pace a little, but that's partly because the early section is some of the best written prose you will read. It was still one of the best non-fiction books I've read this year. The ending is very creative too.

Yes, that may be true. I felt it dropped a little subsequently. I must say, I was absolutely transfixed by the early part of the book, but it seemed to lose it's urgency & drama later.

Best non-fiction book you have read this year - have you tried any Bryson stuff yet? With your love of well-constructed writing, I'm quite sure it would appeal. He uses adjectives creatively, &  so well.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38958 on: July 14, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »

Vegas reading material.

Flash Boys

Started really well  but tailed off dreadfully. Subject matter was essentially High Speed Electronic (Stock Market) Trading. Faster data communications means that brokers could front-run the market. To get faster data transmission, brokers did 2 things. First, data cable transmits faster if it is in a straight line, so they dug a trench to run a x hundred mile long cable from Manhatten to wherever, but tried to keep it's purpose secret duing comstruction. Then they learned that the nearer the server is to the point of original data, the faster the info is transmitted. Milli-seconds, with computerised automatic rapid trading, make all the difference.  So suddenly, previously abandoned & low-cost buildings near the Stock Exchanges suddenly became worth a fortune, as the Brokers all vied to occupy them.

4/10.

Yes, that may be true. I felt it dropped a little subsequently. I must say, I was absolutely transfixed by the early part of the book, but it seemed to lose it's urgency & drama later.

Best non-fiction book you have read this year - have you tried any Bryson stuff yet? With your love of well-constructed writing, I'm quite sure it would appeal. He uses adjectives creatively, &  so well.

I was, and remain, a huge Bill Bryson fan as teenager. His travel writing has made me laugh out loud more than pretty much anything I've read.

Unlike almost everyone else in Britain though I found his Small History of Everything really boring and gave up about a third of the way in and haven't read anything new of his since. I might give this or his Shakespeare one a go.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38959 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »

Vegas reading material.

Flash Boys

4/10.

I was, and remain, a huge Bill Bryson fan as teenager. His travel writing has made me laugh out loud more than pretty much anything I've read.

Unlike almost everyone else in Britain though I found his Small History of Everything really boring and gave up about a third of the way in and haven't read anything new of his since. I might give this or his Shakespeare one a go.

I intend to read every one of his books which have so far escaped me, except that one.

Even Alexander Pope - he of "Hope Springs Eternal" & heroic couplets, (whatever they are) described some of the writings attributed to Mr Shakespeare as "hopelessly bad".

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38960 on: July 14, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »

Vegas reading material.

Flash Boys

Started really well  but tailed off dreadfully. Subject matter was essentially High Speed Electronic (Stock Market) Trading. Faster data communications means that brokers could front-run the market. To get faster data transmission, brokers did 2 things. First, data cable transmits faster if it is in a straight line, so they dug a trench to run a x hundred mile long cable from Manhatten to wherever, but tried to keep it's purpose secret duing comstruction. Then they learned that the nearer the server is to the point of original data, the faster the info is transmitted. Milli-seconds, with computerised automatic rapid trading, make all the difference.  So suddenly, previously abandoned & low-cost buildings near the Stock Exchanges suddenly became worth a fortune, as the Brokers all vied to occupy them.

4/10.

Take no notice. "Random out of steam" is just a descriptive metaphor. More of a filler than a fact really.

The older I get, the better I was.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38961 on: July 14, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »

You're such a contrarian Mr Kendall. You will be saying you don't like football next...

His travel writing is an absolute joy. All of it. The Australian one contains one of my dad's favourite lines. He quotes it all the time.

“But don't worry," she continued. "Most snakes don't want to hurt you. If you're out in the bush and a snake comes along, just stop dead and let it slide over your shoes."
This, I decided, was the least-likely-to-be-followed advice I have ever been given.”
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #38962 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »

That reminds me of the old joke of how you attract a rabbit:

Sit perfectly still and make a noise like a lettuce.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38963 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

You're such a contrarian Mr Kendall. You will be saying you don't like football next...

His travel writing is an absolute joy. All of it. The Australian one contains one of my dad's favourite lines. He quotes it all the time.

“But don't worry," she continued. "Most snakes don't want to hurt you. If you're out in the bush and a snake comes along, just stop dead and let it slide over your shoes."
This, I decided, was the least-likely-to-be-followed advice I have ever been given.”

Very good.

The most noticeable thing about Bryson's musings & descriptions is that they are almost invariably understated, which particularly appeals.

I really did think "One Summer" was first-class, in every way.

Football? Well I never bothered to watch the World Cup Final last night, even though I was at home, & on my own. There was a great nature documentary on Nat Geo about hippos & crocodiles, so I watched that instead. I think I more enjoy the off-field drama of football than the game itself. It's all so surreal, the amounts of money sloshing around at the top. It's hard to discuss it on Forums, too, as almost everyone is so parochial. Given the (sporting) choice, I'd prefer Test Cricket, or Golf, I think.

I shall watch the Premier League matches once they start again though, but not with great enthusiasm.

I watched Fishing this weekend, as it happens, which was more enjoyable than you'd imagine. I may take up fishing when I retire, or get put out to grass. 

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38964 on: July 14, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

Very good.

The most noticeable thing about Bryson's musings & descriptions is that they are almost invariably understated, which particularly appeals.

I really did think "One Summer" was first-class, in every way.

Football? Well I never bothered to watch the World Cup Final last night, even though I was at home, & on my own. There was a great nature documentary on Nat Geo about hippos & crocodiles, so I watched that instead. I think I more enjoy the off-field drama of football than the game itself. It's all so surreal, the amounts of money sloshing around at the top. It's hard to discuss it on Forums, too, as almost everyone is so parochial. Given the (sporting) choice, I'd prefer Test Cricket, or Golf, I think.

I shall watch the Premier League matches once they start again though, but not with great enthusiasm.

I watched Fishing this weekend, as it happens, which was more enjoyable than you'd imagine. I may take up fishing when I retire, or get put out to grass. 

You often hear people say fishing is the biggest participation sport in the UK, although I somewhat doubt the maths behind that. It does seem popular with your sort of person though. I can definitely see you hanging out with Dappy http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01355/SNF06BIZN-280_1355752a.jpg
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #38965 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »

Been meaning to recommend a book called Gentleman thief, the recollections of a cat burglar by Peter Scott - since I think you mentioned you like true crime books. A copy can be picked up very cheaply on ebay if you're so inclined.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #38966 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »

I'm guessing you saw a bit of the golf last night Tony as I saw you mention Monty's win on the tft thread. It felt wrong to be rooting against Monty but given what the mentioned Gene Sauers had been thru I just wanted him to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Sauers

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38967 on: July 14, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

+1 to Flash Boys love here - I thought it fair zipped along with just the right balance between facts and explaining the sometimes complicated things and background of the people involved so they became a bit more than just names on a page. The ending was also a brilliant little teaser which immediately had me off on Google.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #38968 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »

"Like a teenage butterfly, drawn to the flame that was San Francisco...."

Ralph Shalston.

I'm sure that moths are closely related to butterflies.

And what's the odd "t" between friends.

I'll continue with the next installment of my Coombe Hill ramblings when I find some inspiration, but The Summer of Love is on the back-burner for now.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #38969 on: July 14, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »

Jeez... Loads to catch up on here!

I thought you might like this video  (if you haven't seen it already)

Pages: 1 ... 2594 2595 2596 2597 [2598] 2599 2600 2601 2602 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: