blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2690 2691 2692 2693 [2694] 2695 2696 2697 2698 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296041 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #40395 on: November 27, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »

Thank you for being a bro, I love you bros, stay awesome, I love you all, mmwaor.

WTF?

I read a piece yesterday that said children are only watching half as much TV as their parents. Good for them. Probably.

It then went on to explain about Video Clips, which, it seems, is what the kids are watching.

Have you heard of "PewDiePie"?

What, you have not? You should have.

He makes "video clips for You Tube.

Each clip gets, on average, 4.5 MILLION views.

He has 30 MILLION followers.

He earns £2.5 MILLION per year from the adverts on his clips.

So I watched a few, & nearly threw up, it's incredibly cheesy.

But it's stuff like that which is helping to lead to the demise of forums.

Love you all bros, you are all so awesome.

I know every generation does not understand the next generations choices for media consumption, but how the hell is that a thing?

There are also people who make a living playing video games and streaming it on YouTube.

Weirdest one has to be this craze of people who make a career of them making videos of themselves opening boxes with iPhones in. Just google 'unboxing'

Until recently my girlfriend made lyric videos for youtube - just the song with the lyrics coming up as they were sang, a bit like karaoke but with the vocals still attached.

Wasn't quite the level he managed but she had 155 million views on her videos before she 'retired' Smiley

Crikey. Did she manage to monetize them?

I wonder what the deal is with copyright there. I guess that's YouTubes problem not hers.

She regularly got offers to put adverts on her channel and in her videos but she refused them because she didn't own the copyright.  ( Sad )

Didn't help - the reason she's stopped is because they started cracking down on copyright infringement, so she's had to pull all her videos to make sure she doesn't get her account banned  - it curiously looks like she now has over 50,000 subscribers on an account with a single video Cheesy (the one left is just saying why everything has disappeared)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40396 on: November 27, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

I am reading "The Hatching of Twitter" at the moment.

It's about how Twitter came into being.

The kid who started it had got his start-up money from google, who purchased his Website, which was (is?) called "Blogger".

Blogger hosted millions of Blogs, which were a new thing back then. Imagine a word without blogs, it's not so difficult, but he recognized that folks like to write stuff, & share it with others.

And he became a zillionaire.

So so simple. Or lucky?

Click to see full-size image.

Just read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcuts-Hackers-Innovators-Accelerate-Success/dp/0062302450

And there is a great story of this girl:

http://michellephan.com/

Who managed to turn videos of her doing make up tutorials into a multi million empire. I have no idea if this PewPooPeeWee fella is any good, but this girl really was and deserved her success. She was really really poor too, which made the story much nicer.  

Thanks Barry.

I have a Meet tomorrow at St Pancras Station of all places (BOOM!), & they have a Foyles there, so I'll see if they have that in stock.

Nice life I have sometimes.

"Can you meet me at St Pancras Staton tomorrow Tony?"

"Err, yeah, think I'll manage that....."

Whenever I visit a Railway Terminus of distinction, or even some airports, I get a tingle in my willy, it's such an exciting thing to me, even after all these years.

I can guarantee I'll be an hour early for that meet.

St Pancras has changed a bit, too, mind. Railway Stations like St Pancras are cathedrals, & it's a disgrace that they are blighted by shops.  Except Foyles, of course.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:11:03 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40397 on: November 27, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »

Have you seen Sheffield station in the last 3-4 years? Or more notably, the immediate surrounding area as you leave it? It's gone from being a shitty dive to being one of the more welcoming places for train commuters arriving in the City.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #40398 on: November 27, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »

See that Frankie Fraser died yesterday, too.

Ever cross paths with him when you were younger, Tikay?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40399 on: November 27, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »

No, never met him. Think I'd wee myself if I did.

I'll be writing some more about him in due course, but I did write a piece about him on Tom's Diary this morning.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=30601.26115

Honestly, Frankie Fraser fascinated me. Not sure why, really.

It's a bit like the seedier side of the gambling world, I always wanted to taste that, see it, but not be part of it.

Anyway, now I have an excuse to post that awesome photo again.

Look at the gait, the swagger, the attitude of Mr Stripey Suit. Wonder what he does in real life? Property Insurance, maybe, just as Frankie used to? Even Frankie's son (the other side of Frankie) has that "attitiude".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40400 on: November 27, 2014, 02:08:15 PM »

Have you seen Sheffield station in the last 3-4 years? Or more notably, the immediate surrounding area as you leave it? It's gone from being a shitty dive to being one of the more welcoming places for train commuters arriving in the City.

Yeah, seen it since they ponced it up, though think it was more than 3 or 4 years ago?

Does not sit well with me really, I think these lovely old stations are often best left "as was", with a bit of grime & wear. It's Sheffield, Yorkshire, after all, & all those fancy fountains & water features ain't gonna kid anyone.

The stations at Doncaster, York, Darlington & Newcastle, with those lovely marbled floors, are all far better imo.

Oddly, the new Kings Cross Station concourse really is a sight to behold, they've done a wonderful job with that, to be fair.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:12:49 PM by tikay » Logged

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #40401 on: November 27, 2014, 11:13:08 PM »

Loved Benn and Eubank , and the Hagler Hearns fights , but my favourite was always "the gifted one "  Kirkland Laing .

http://www.britishboxers.co.uk/2014/09/nottinghams-kirkland-laing-shocks-roberto-duran-in-the-1982-boxing-upset-of-the-year-full-video.html

Such a talented fighter. When he was good , he was very very good.

I sort of missed the whole "Marvellous Marv" era somehow, I invested so much of my life & time at that stage to my work.

I often wish I could turn the clock back, I've done so many dumb things in my time. I wish I was young again, & had no self-doubt. I knew everything when I was young. No, I did.

Is that why you missed out on all of that 1960's music that all of the rest of us were so taken with, such as rock&roll, blues, and soul?

60's music?

No, music was a huge part of my life in the early to mid sixties, not so much late sixties.

I was a Beatles man, through & through, blues & the like was not my thing, just personal taste I suppose.

My musical tastes are very shallow, but that's just how it is. I try to spend 30 minutes on You Tube every night, just watching & listening to the music I like. Beatles, Knopfler, Robbie, Cure, Eminem, Lightning Seeds, Floyd (adore Gilmour), Gwen, Chilis, Aerosmith (I want to be Steven Tyler), The Eagles, especially Don Walsh, that sort of stuff, just mainsteam really. Poor palate in music & food, me, but I enjoy what I enjoy.

What about The Moody Blues? I loved them, especially this number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40402 on: November 28, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

PewDiePie's Youtube throne has been taken, by a woman who shows us children's toys.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/26/youtube-dc-toys-collector-disneycollector
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #40403 on: November 28, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

I have a Meet tomorrow at St Pancras Station of all places (BOOM!), & they have a Foyles there, so I'll see if they have that in stock.

Foyles in StP is no more, it's now a John Lewis.

John Lewis.

In a railway station.

Anyway, there is still a book shop in the station, Hatchards has opened next to Fortnum & Mason.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #40404 on: November 29, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »

Tomorrow afternoon from 1pm, there's an extended interview with Dave Gilmour on BBC 6 music on Tom Robinson's show.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #40405 on: November 29, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »

Loved Benn and Eubank , and the Hagler Hearns fights , but my favourite was always "the gifted one "  Kirkland Laing .

http://www.britishboxers.co.uk/2014/09/nottinghams-kirkland-laing-shocks-roberto-duran-in-the-1982-boxing-upset-of-the-year-full-video.html

Such a talented fighter. When he was good , he was very very god od.

I sort of missed the whole "Marvellous Marv" era somehow, I invested so much of my life & time at that stage to my work.

I often wish I could turn the clock back, I've done so many dumb things in my time. I wish I was young again, & had no self-doubt. I knew everything when I was young. No, I did.

Is that why you missed out on all of that 1960's music that all of the rest of us were so taken with, such as rock&roll, blues, and soul?

60's music?

No, music was a huge part of my life in the early to mid sixties, not so much late sixties.

I was a Beatles man, through & through, blues & the like was not my thing, just personal taste I suppose.

My musical tastes are very shallow, but that's just how it is. I try to spend 30 minutes on You Tube every night, just watching & listening to the music I like. Beatles, Knopfler, Robbie, Cure, Eminem, Lightning Seeds, Floyd (adore Gilmour), Gwen, Chilis, Aerosmith (I want to be Steven Tyler), The Eagles, especially Don Walsh, that sort of stuff, just mainsteam really. Poor palate in music & food, me, but I enjoy what I enjoy.

What about The Moody Blues? I loved them, especially this number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Ralph's link set me off on a reminiscence journey, so many memories of my teens with Keith West, The Casuals, Norman Greenbaum, Marmalade, Procol Harum all featuring.
I ended up with this gem

http://youtu.be/smIF5374bTw

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #40406 on: November 29, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

I'll be writing some more about him in due course, but I did write a piece about him on Tom's Diary this morning.

It's a bit like the seedier side of the gambling world, I always wanted to taste that, see it, but not be part of it.

Look at the gait, the swagger, the attitude of Mr Stripey Suit. Wonder what he does in real life? Property Insurance, maybe, just as Frankie used to? Even Frankie's son (the other side of Frankie) has that "attitiude".

Think I know who the fella on the left is.  I came across him when I worked for a well known UK bookmaker.  It is fair to suggest he didn't get his stripy jacket in the pits of the commodity exchanges.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40407 on: November 29, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »

Think I know who the fella on the left is.  I came across him when I worked for a well known UK bookmaker.  It is fair to suggest he didn't get his stripy jacket in the pits of the commodity exchanges.

I doubt that, too.

I know we should not tell books by covers, but everything about that photo, the context, & the company he keeps tells me he is a not a librarian, & most likely is a tinsy winsy bit sharp.

I'd love to know his name, so I can go googling, but I would not press you for it. 

Curiously, the other fella in the photo, David, (one of Frankie's sons) featured in a "Frankie Fraser Special" on TV last night. Not especially revealing, he idolised his Dad, as you would imagine. It featured an extended interview with Frankie, though, which was most enjoyable.

I have most of the books about Frankie Fraser, but I went looking for some more yesterday, sadly to no avail.

I did see a quote though, which tickled me. Not in what he had done, but how he explained it.

It went something like this.....

Yeah, it's true, I chopped him up, with me chopper, me ax

In another piece, relating to the shooting at "Mr Smith's Club", he admitted shooting a guy. The guy had just shot Frankie, & he was spouting blood everywhere, but he siezed the gun off the assailant & shot him in the head. Trying to justify it, he said...

"Well the bloke had just blown my leg half off, what do you expect me to do, pat him on the back?"

I'm not saying I think that's the way to behave, but it just fascinates me to see light shed on that world of dodgy geezers, & I could read that stuff all day. In a way, it reminds me a little of "Papillon", which was of course "embellished non-fiction" if there can be such a thing.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40408 on: November 29, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »

Tomorrow afternoon from 1pm, there's an extended interview with Dave Gilmour on BBC 6 music on Tom Robinson's show.

Thanks Tal.

By coincidence, BBC 4 had two shows on last night.

Pink Floyd, a Miscellany

Just what it says, a miscellany from their various records, videos, & live appearances.

The Making of "Wish You Were Here"

A repeat, but well worth another watch. Dave Gilmour is not your average rock star, not at all, but he gave forth on all sorts, & he speaks extremely well. If you did not know the history, you'd never think he was a very successful musician. Most enjoyable.

For those interested, well worth a look on "Catch Up TV" or the BBC i-player thingie.

Fame & fortune seems to fit well with Gilmour.

Much of the interview with Gilmour was conducted on this rather pretty boat, which is moored on the Thames at Hampton, just 200 yards from where I am living in London. The boat is a recording studio, & is where DSOTM was recorded. Which is fascinating.....

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:58:26 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40409 on: November 29, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

Sandwiched between those two Floyd shows on BBC4 last night, was a real gem of a programme, a sort of filmed history of Jim Marshall, he of "Marshall Amps". Not sure, but I think it was called "Making it Loud".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification

Might even be a better watch than the 2 Floyd Shows, in many ways Jim Marshall & his Amps, which we see so often "stacked", was a huge part of music, especially rock, in the last 50 years.

Do try & watch it, it featured interviews & footage of all sorts.

Pages: 1 ... 2690 2691 2692 2693 [2694] 2695 2696 2697 2698 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: