blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2692 2693 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 2699 2700 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296228 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40425 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

I considered three posssible replies.

1) Ha, yeah, agree.

2) I suppose you could look at it that way.

3) I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Probably best to go with 1), it's safer that way.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40426 on: November 30, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Judas Priest- a very fine British Metal band.

Cymru am byth
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #40427 on: November 30, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »

Judas Priest- a very fine British Metal band.

Interesting interview with Mr Halford, including all the most famous things to be discussed:

http://www.maximumfun.org/sound-young-america/brutal-metal-holiday-special-rob-halford-judas-priest-and-until-light-takes-us

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Gamblor21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40428 on: December 04, 2014, 08:12:25 AM »

What are your thoughts on the news? Tremendous growth and big valuation.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/04/sky-m-a-skybet-idUKKCN0JI0HI20141204

Hear me knocking... Let me in then!
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40429 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »

In before its AmayaStars all over again. Petition for Thewy to be removed as Team pro etc.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40430 on: December 04, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »

Jokes aside, £800 million - wow.

I went to the SkyBet offices in Leeds once, they were amazing. It was like a blokes paradise, like something out of Maxim.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40431 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »

Amazing, isn't it, how quickly it has grown, from such small beginnings in 2000? And the whole thing only exists because of the Internet.

I know you do some work with SkyBet, so you have a decent understanding of the Business. On balance, I'd say it is pretty exciting. The Reuters Press Release was just a 3 or 4 liner, but the Staff all received a lengthy & very detailed missive from the Suits first thing today, & all the Staff are being briefed face to face later this morning. The whole atmo in the office is "it's party time" to be honest.  

For me personally? Well at my age, I don't need to worry too much about the long term future of the Business, or how it will affect me one way or another, but yeah, it all seems good.

Nothing stays the same for long these days, does it?

totes emosh (I do love that) as Tighty might say.

How are you, anyway, Big Man? I trust the February UKPC will be graced with your considerable presence again? Some astonishing news on that will be made known very shortly, too, & I've had the most incredible week sorting out additional UKPC bits & bobs as a result.

Exciting times, & I do know I'll not be dying of boredom any time soon.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:45:52 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40432 on: December 04, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »

In before its AmayaStars all over again. Petition for Thewy to be removed as Team pro etc.

Very good, very good. Might have to get on The Ambassador's case, too.

I'm afraid I have a bit of a disconnect on this whole inability for poker players to understand that businesses operate for one reason, & one reason only - to make money. That's the same whether it be a supermarket or a gaming site. They exist to make money. They don't exist, as such, to "care" for anyone, unless it better serves their purpose. 

In fact, it goes a step further. Any Company which makes the same profit as last year is deemed to be failing, even if that is a huge sum. So the treadmill requres - DEMANDS - that all Businesses make more money than last year. The resistance to that notion, or inability to grasp it in an unemotive way, just astonishes me.

I don't expect poker players to LIKE it, of course not. But I would have thought they'd understand how business works, whether we like it ot not. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40433 on: December 04, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »

Jokes aside, £800 million - wow.

I went to the SkyBet offices in Leeds once, they were amazing. It was like a blokes paradise, like something out of Maxim.

It's serious money, yes.

It used to take decades, centuries even, to build big manufacturing businesses which make things.  

Now, a business which has never, & will never, "manufacture" a thing grows to that size in the blink of an eyelid, relatively.

That Office in Leeds, yeah, doubt I've ever been in a more exciting or "laddish" office environment.

Not a single person wears a suit & tie, either, incred!

There must be 50 or 100 giant TV Plasma screens adorning the walls, all of them perma-tuned to Sports Channels.

The Meeting Rooms are all themed after Vegas Hotels, too - Bellagio, Miirage, etc.

On the floor on the central "space" is a giant roulette wheel, weirdest thing I've ever seen, must be 10 yards in diamater.

There are pool tables, breakout areas, coffee machines, restaurants, all sorts.

Think the average age of the Staff must be about 25. They all call me "Grandad".

So yeah, quite an environment for a young man to work in, though I'm not sure it'd suit me.

They used to be in a little office in Harrogate. About 3 years ago they took one floor of a huge office building in Leeds. A year later, they took another floor, & this week, they have moved into their third "new" floor of the place. The rate they are growing is astonishing, & it shows no sign of slowing down yet.

The new owners, CVC, already have Gaming Interests, as you know, so I imagine it opens up a range of options.

Incidentally, they even have a giant photo of me in the Leeds Office. Think I'm the photo next to Jamie Redknapp. Above him, prolly.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:20:30 AM by tikay » Logged

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #40434 on: December 04, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »

Scary to think what 365 must be worth if sky bet is worth £800m. Think Denise will be soaring up the rich list even further next year.

More or less likely to have a sky bet account last more than two bets with this change of ownership?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40435 on: December 04, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »

Scary to think what 365 must be worth if sky bet is worth £800m. Think Denise will be soaring up the rich list even further next year.

More or less likely to have a sky bet account last more than two bets with this change of ownership?

Yeah, BetEveyDay is a stunningly successful operation, by any standards, much to admire there.

No idea as to whether you, a recognized "sharp", would get a better deal. I'd think it unlikely, myself. If it were my Business, I'd not let you bet with me, for sure! Why would I, when I can make money far easier from others? Don't answer that, this is a peaceful thread.....Wink

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #40436 on: December 04, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

Yeah, BetEveyDay is a stunningly successful operation, by any standards, much to admire there.

No idea as to whether you, a recognized "sharp", would get a better deal. I'd think it unlikely, myself. If it were my Business, I'd not let you bet with me, for sure! Why would I, when I can make money far easier from others? Don't answer that, this is a peaceful thread.....Wink

I will answer briefly in a peaceful manner and obviously it doesn't just apply to skysweat but the majority of firms.  Too tired to argue!  Your answer makes no sense but is typical of the 'corporate' bookies of the modern world as Skybet do still see my money but they don't realise it's my money so can't do anything about it with confidence as it's on a 'losers' account.  Also by doing this i have to bet bigger to give the account holder a 'drink' to get me on.  Skybet obviously pay for this drink via the ev from the increased bet size placed.  Usually they will also give us a free bet as well for opening the new account.  Therefore it's a lose lose for skybet as they still get my bet and also don't know it's my bet which they could 'follow' with a degree of confidence and make some money the other side of.  Pro gamblers will always find a way to get on.  Making it harder for us just costs firms more money in the long term both directly and indirectly.  Increased costs of any business will always be passed on to the customer.  In this case it is just the other way round as the firm's are the pro's customer.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:40:25 PM by arbboy » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40437 on: December 04, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »

I will answer briefly in a peaceful manner and obviously it doesn't just apply to skysweat but the majority of firms. Too tired to argue!  Your answer makes no sense but is typical of the 'corporate' bookies of the modern world as Skybet do still see my money but they don't realise it's my money so can't do anything about it with confidence as it's on a 'losers' account.  Also by doing this i have to bet bigger to give the account holder a 'drink' to get me on.  Skybet obviously pay for this drink via the ev from the increased bet size placed.  Usually they will also give us a free bet as well for opening the new account.  Therefore it's a lose lose for skybet as they still get my bet and also don't know it's my bet which they could 'follow' with a degree of confidence and make some money the other side of.  Pro gamblers will always find a way to get on.  Making it harder for us just costs firms more money in the long term both directly and indirectly.

Not buying that.......

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #40438 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »

Late night watching nba on bt sport then the college stuff from Moon's selection as i hadn't seen Duke play yet this season so didn't want to miss out.  Early 11am start for the morning dogs.  Not much sleep!!  Busy day Thurs for me.  So no arguing!
Gamblor21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40439 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »

Amazing, isn't it, how quickly it has grown, from such small beginnings in 2000? And the whole thing only exists because of the Internet.

I know you do some work with SkyBet, so you have a decent understanding of the Business. On balance, I'd say it is pretty exciting. The Reuters Press Release was just a 3 or 4 liner, but the Staff all received a lengthy & very detailed missive from the Suits first thing today, & all the Staff are being briefed face to face later this morning. The whole atmo in the office is "it's party time" to be honest.  

For me personally? Well at my age, I don't need to worry too much about the long term future of the Business, or how it will affect me one way or another, but yeah, it all seems good.

Nothing stays the same for long these days, does it?

totes emosh (I do love that) as Tighty might say.

How are you, anyway, Big Man? I trust the February UKPC will be graced with your considerable presence again? Some astonishing news on that will be made known very shortly, too, & I've had the most incredible week sorting out additional UKPC bits & bobs as a result.

Exciting times, & I do know I'll not be dying of boredom any time soon.  

Yes I was actually up visiting Skybet on Monday to meet with some of the trading management team. I met the Poker head honcho as I was leaving my meeting and he was asking if I was going to the UKPC. I might be in Australia in Feb so if the diary permits I'll be there. Try and make the Omaha easy for those who work for a living!

The 15x EBITDA is huge, though shows it is growing at a brilliant rate. They are one of the only firms who seem to be getting it right across the full product range.

Hear me knocking... Let me in then!
Pages: 1 ... 2692 2693 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 2699 2700 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: