blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 2921 2922 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295930 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #43755 on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »

The convo started with tikay saying he didn't understand why plo wasn't as popular as it should be, I said it was because the rake structure destroyed all customers.  You then revealed that Sky's business plan was to make your mates rich.

Sky's business plan is to make themselves rich.  Hence they have built a trusted global brand and don't need to compete on price hence why they charge top level rake fees in the market place and their business is still growing.  Customers still play because like Tikay says most customers they look to attract are not price sensitive.  This in turn attracts winning players who also pay over the market rate rake levels (even without big rakeback offers like other models did in the past) to play because they can still make a living from the poor level of clients who sky attract.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:18:17 PM by arbboy » Logged
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #43756 on: November 22, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »

Ryanair looking at doing flights to Israel? Sweet. Think easyjet currently do the cheapest returns (about £100), so I'm sure Ryanair will look to significantly undercut them.

A country I'm quite eager to visit, for reasons I'm unsure about.

Best Bitter.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #43757 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »

Customers still play because like Tikay says most customers they look to attract are not price sensitive. 

jfc stop being obtuse - we are talking about plo and they aren't attracting many plo customers and the ones they do, go bust so quickly they don't come back
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #43758 on: November 22, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Meanwhile, the Gill jog jog jogging excitement continues, & she has decided to do the Bushy Park 5k ParkRun next Saturday.

Much excitement.

Bushy parkrun is massive, easily the biggest in this country. Assuming the weather is reasonable there will be about a 1000 runners there.

For comparison I was at beckton parkrun in east London yesterday and there were 24 people there including a certain mr gatso. Admittedly the weather was rotten yesterday and this really affects numbers.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43759 on: November 22, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »

Ryanair looking at doing flights to Israel? Sweet. Think easyjet currently do the cheapest returns (about £100), so I'm sure Ryanair will look to significantly undercut them.

I think I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - those Ryanair Flights to Israel are from Budapest, Krakow & Kaunus, none of which, as far as I recall, are in the UK.

Here's the gumf.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/150707-ryanair-announces-first-israel-flights/?market=en

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43760 on: November 24, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »

i found this interesting

you might too as someone who reads a lot of books on such events, i think

A history of some of the biggest heists, robberies and burglaries in pictures http://goo.gl/zmBx7Z 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #43761 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »

I think I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - those Ryanair Flights to Israel are from Budapest, Krakow & Kaunus, none of which, as far as I recall, are in the UK.

Here's the gumf.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/150707-ryanair-announces-first-israel-flights/?market=en

Tikay giveth, Tikay taketh away.

By Israel, do they mean Jordan?

Flying with Flybe for the first time on Saturday, think it's one of them propeller plane things. Trip report to follow, assuming it has the engine capacity to get off the runway. Back to the comforts of Ryanair coming home on Sunday. I fly in style.

Best Bitter.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #43762 on: November 25, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »

Saw thIs about your idol, and thought you might enjoy.

Spare a thought for poor ole for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair. After arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be €1 please, Mr. O’Leary." Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money. "Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland". "That is remarkable value", Michael comments. "I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be €3 please." O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra €2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you €1." "I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please". Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame". "I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4 for your seat sir". O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another €3." O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager". "I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be €2 please." O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?" "Of course I do Mr. O'Leary." "I've had enough! What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!" "Here is his E-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only €1 per second, or part thereof". "I will never use this bar again". "OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for €1.

Wink

Pretty sure that Sir Michael, who owns Ryanair shares worth €750 million, will cope.

They recently reported another surge in profits, too.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/09/ryanair-profits-to-break-1bn-barrier

He built that business from nothing, inside 30 years.

Everyone loves to pretend to hate Ryanair, but not many airlines - globally - carry more passengers, more punctually, in a more modern airline fleet. Makes you wonder who all these passengers are. 

Their latest whizz is to start flights to Israel, with plans to build a hub there. More moans, more passengers, more money in Michael's pocket.

He'd be in anyone's "Top Ten Businessmen" list, along with Buffett, Jack Welch, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Terry Leahy, Jeff Bezos & co.

Nothing but admiration for them all.

So there.

Mother in law uses Ryanair a few times each year....basically because it's the only airline that flies from the UK into the city where she lives.

Always book her "business class" now , as it earns brownie points and its about £40 one way  Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43763 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »

this picture weas taken in 1977 and i quite like it

can you  name the football ground in the background?

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43764 on: November 28, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »

this picture weas taken in 1977 and i quite like it

can you  name the football ground in the background?

Click to see full-size image.

No, but the Steam Locomotive was a Great Western Region type & class.

It could - probably was - a "Special", (all the geeks leaning out of the window) in which case it could be on any line, but if it were a GWR line, then it has to be one of these I guess;

Cardiff

Swansea

Wolverhampton

Birmingham

I'm gonna take a stab at Cardiff.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43765 on: November 28, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »

correct, one of these

Cardiff

Swansea

Wolverhampton

Birmingham

but not cardiff

My eyes are open wide
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #43766 on: November 28, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »

From that list it looks most like St. Andrews.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43767 on: November 28, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »

correct

saltney (?) railway yard back left

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #43768 on: November 28, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »

correct

saltney (?) railway yard back left

I'm guessing Saltley. That's an area in central Birmingham anyway.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43769 on: November 28, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »

Such a lovely game, imo. Baffles me why 90% or whatever don't play it, but I'd play it every day if I could. And if I could afford to......

Online the rake is just too high, tikay.  On Pstars $100 zoom, the house takes one stack off the table every hour - everyone's starting stack gone after six hour's play.  In lower limits it's as much as 200 big blinds going down the slot every hour! (Even you must admit that deserves an exclamation mark.)  

If Sky set the omaha rake at 5% capped at 1 small blind (and advertised it), I would be extremely surprised if their traffic didn't increase massively.

Do you just mean PLO, or all online poker?

Not sure I agree.

If, let's say, an online poker site halved the rake, would they get double the Margin? I am sure they would not.

If we want to play poker, we have to pay for the service provided, be it Live or Online.

Operators need to make a good ROI as well as players. I suppose it's a question of balance, it needs to be attractive to both players & operators.

Not everyone bothers about the rake, as it happens. A significant number of poker players just love the fun of the game, love a gamble. They don't really expect to make money, they just want to enjoy themselves.

Move the argument across to bookmakers, especially the Online ones. Anyone with half a brain must realise they cannot beat the bookies inbuilt profit margin, & yet Online Sports Betting is a huge market. What % of sports bettors make a profit? 5%? 10%? Does not stop people, in ever increasing numbers, from punting.

People love the buzz they get from gambling, & seem to be happy to pay for it.

I agree with this but the charges are too high in plo.  Your original query was why plo was not so popular online.  The answer is that it is too expensive a form of entertainment. 

I may be missing the point, if so, apologies, why is that different to NLH?

The site doesn't rake in 20 or more big blinds every hundred from a player in NLH. Sites have recognised for years that Heads-up games get raked less because more flops are seen, PLO is exactly the same with the added twist that there are loads of 50/50s on the flop.  So it deserves a different rake structure if it is to be a sustainable game where people pay for entertainment and keep coming back.  My suggestion of a one small blind cap, protects the micro levels and builds a stable foundation where people who study the game can win.

As far as walking away if you don't like it, I have, when I could happily be playing for hours if the rake was lower - you don't play plo cash at all and are making videos about it...... 

Correct - I rarely play PLO Cash Online (whereas I do "Live"), & I do make educational videos about PLO for absolute beginners. I'm not sure what point you are making. 

Anyway, enough toing & froing, it's been a wonderful week, so an going to try & do a bit of an update. 

Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 2921 2922 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: