blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 3123 3124 [3125] 3126 3127 3128 3129 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6322231 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #46860 on: August 23, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »

I discovered a few weeks ago that one of my regular golfing companions' father was an engine driver on the Midlands circuit.

Let me know if there are any questions you'd like to ask him.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #46861 on: August 23, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »

As a long distance rail commuter I'm slowly turning into a train geek by osmosis. We only have two types of train on the Midland Mainline - HSTs or the newer Meridians. I used to prefer the HSTs for the (relatively) massive seats but the ride quality is now horrific. Maybe it's the rails but the bouncing is ridiculous - I actively avoid them now.

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46862 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »

Do trains have seats?
Is the train just the bit at the front or locomotive and carriages?
You need to come ride the Bittern line, not sure the rolling stock would excite you, but its great view with some stunning destinations.
Oh my, I'm at it now.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46863 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »

Do trains have seats?

Bit late to be asking that now Jeremy.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46864 on: August 23, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »

Do trains have seats?

Bit late to be asking that now Jeremy.

Real life lol

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
stumpythefish

View Profile
« Reply #46865 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:09 PM »

Im a train driver and love it unfortunately not long after I passed out we got new trains called 143s .If you can imagine a bus on train wheels no suspension,a gearbox that ofton got stuck in 1st max speed 20 but best of all cable breaks after about the 3rd break application on your journey the brakes became virtually  non existant Sad

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46866 on: August 24, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »

thought you might like this

sky from the sky

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJfN5U7jMXt/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46867 on: August 25, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »

World's largest aircraft Airlander 10 crashes during test flight http://dailym.ai/2bgJ3vs 

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46868 on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »

I discovered a few weeks ago that one of my regular golfing companions' father was an engine driver on the Midlands circuit.

Let me know if there are any questions you'd like to ask him.

The "Midlands circuit", you say, Ralph?

It sounds a little elitist, & it probably is, but if we are steeped in railway history, we develop a bind to "our" particular line or region & we tend to poo poo all the "lesser" lines.

I was lucky in that Dad was on the GWR - "God's Wonderful Railway" - so I am unreasonably aloof when it comes to lesser lines.

I took the train to Bristol on Tuesday, & back up to London yesterday, & had THE most wonderful 2 journeys. I took a ton of photos, & I'm afraid I may have to post them all if time permits. I was like a schoolboy with his Ian Allen trainspotters book. Which is a bit juvenile, all things considered, but I really don't care.

Ian Allen Trainspotters books, circa 1960, were the best thing ever. The idea was to "spot" every locomotive, & then cross them off in our little book. Happy days. Now I go to Paddington Station & all I see are warning signs for Pokeman players. Bleurgh.  But if it keeps kids out of trouble, & gets them out & about in the real world, away from the telly & internet games, all good I suppose.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46869 on: August 25, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »

As a long distance rail commuter I'm slowly turning into a train geek by osmosis. We only have two types of train on the Midland Mainline - HSTs or the newer Meridians. I used to prefer the HSTs for the (relatively) massive seats but the ride quality is now horrific. Maybe it's the rails but the bouncing is ridiculous - I actively avoid them now.

I noticed that on MML, but I believe it is down to poor PW (PW = the track) maintenance, rather than the class 3 rolling stock. I was pleased to see that Class 3 Slam Door stock has been given the green light to stay in service for another 30 years or more, which is wonderful news.

The GWR Main Line has hundreds of Class 3 carriages, & they are in great nick. Sadly, electrification beckons, so we will say goodbye to them quite soon.

For those dying to know how to recognize Class 3 stock, it's the slam door coaches, like this......   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #46870 on: August 25, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

I noticed that on MML, but I believe it is down to poor PW (PW = the track) maintenance, rather than the class 3 rolling stock. I was pleased to see that Class 3 Slam Door stock has been given the green light to stay in service for another 30 years or more, which is wonderful news.

The GWR Main Line has hundreds of Class 3 carriages, & they are in great nick. Sadly, electrification beckons, so we will say goodbye to them quite soon.

For those dying to know how to recognize Class 3 stock, it's the slam door coaches, like this......   

What does the PW stand for?

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46871 on: August 25, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »

Do trains have seats?
Is the train just the bit at the front or locomotive and carriages?
You need to come ride the Bittern line, not sure the rolling stock would excite you, but its great view with some stunning destinations.
Oh my, I'm at it now.

Fascinating question.

Trains have seats, yes.

A train is defined as the loco AND the carriages. The loco without carriages is just that, a loco, ditto carriages. Put them together & you have a train.

These days of course we have dual-direction (loco at each end) "sets", so locos as such are dying out.

Here's a Class 43, it has one of these locos at each end, so does not need a turntable, & only works as a set. 

They were built between 1975 & 1982, & of the 197 built, 194 remain in service to this day, which is quite something, that's over 40 years in some cases. And still purring along nicely.  (The missing 3 were all destroyed in major accidents, oddly, all 3 were on the GWR, including the Paddington & Southall rail disasters).

They are designated as "Bo Bo", which means 2 bogies with 4 axles in total, all powered. When they have 6 bogies, all powered, that is designated as "Co Co".

Fascinating stuff, eh? 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46872 on: August 25, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »

What does the PW stand for?

Permanent Way, usually called "PW".

Essentially, it's the track, but railway folk always call it the PW, or "Way". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_way_(history)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46873 on: August 25, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »

Im a train driver and love it unfortunately not long after I passed out we got new trains called 143s .If you can imagine a bus on train wheels no suspension,a gearbox that ofton got stuck in 1st max speed 20 but best of all cable breaks after about the 3rd break application on your journey the brakes became virtually  non existant Sad

Do you live & work up North, then? Far as I knew, they only operated in the North, &, latterly, the South West.

They all have to be removed from service soon I think due to (lack of) accessibility.

Dreadful things, & certainly not suitable for southerners or posh folk, oh no.

I think Maureen (The Nun) is a guard on these, for Arriva, or Northern Rail.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46874 on: August 25, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

thought you might like this

sky from the sky

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJfN5U7jMXt/

Grand photo, that, though why it fascinates to see our place of work from the sky I'm not entirely sure.

All those buildings (with one exception) belong to Sky. The exception is the building at the bottom, centre, which is Gillette House & Gillette Corner.  Once it was a beautiful building, but it's just a shell now. That stretch of the wonderfully named "Great West Road" is full of art deco architecture, mostly ruined now by ugly street furniture & new buildings.

The multi-coloured building (top middle) is just a multi story car park which has been dressed with cladding to "make it look nice".

The big building at the very top stands on what was, until 2 years ago, the Harrods Repository.

The estate is monstrously huge, & to this day, I still struggle to grasp what all the staff there (6,000 I believe) do. It has 10 or 12 restaurants, maybe more. It's like a fortress to get in & out, its all guarded by turnstiles which are operated by Staff Passes. Arrive there at 0530 to find your pass has expired is a pretty demoralising experience, let me tell you, no amount of talking or flannel will get you in.   

Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 3123 3124 [3125] 3126 3127 3128 3129 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: