blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3123 3124 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 3130 3131 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295918 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46890 on: August 31, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »

thought this might amuse you

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46891 on: August 31, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »

Fabulous anecdote.

As I understand it, when we enter a Foreign Embassy in, say, London, we are effectively exiting the ULK & entering that country.

That leads to all sorts of oddities & anomalies, policing for example, I don't think our police have any jurisdiction within a Foreign Embassy.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46892 on: August 31, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »

One thing that bothered me about the cruise thing was all the queuing to get on & off. I'm fearfully impatient, & tend to get grumpy when I have to queue.  There were to be some 3,500 passengers. That's a BIG queue.

So when we first arrived at the cruise Terminal, the omens were not good.....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:24:40 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #46893 on: August 31, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »

Fabulous anecdote.

As I understand it, when we enter a Foreign Embassy in, say, London, we are effectively exiting the ULK & entering that country.

That leads to all sorts of oddities & anomalies, policing for example, I don't think our police have any jurisdiction within a Foreign Embassy.

It will be out of date soon.  When does the new one open?  Would be funny if the real reason for the move was to own the freehold.

Don't the US own other parts of the UK such as Menwith Hill?  Or is that leased?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46894 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »

Fabulous anecdote.

It will be out of date soon.  When does the new one open?  Would be funny if the real reason for the move was to own the freehold.

Don't the US own other parts of the UK such as Menwith Hill?  Or is that leased?

As far as I know, Menwith Hill is owned by the MOD & leased to the USAF.

Fascinating place, almost surreal to look at.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46895 on: August 31, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »

Anyway, once we got into the Departure Lounge, after doing all the security rigmarole, it was not too bad at all, less than an hour & we were through.

When we arrived, they gave us a coloured card, its a sort of alphabetical queuing system, & they give out 25 at a time, then move on to the next letter. They were calling "P" when we got there, & we were "H", so a lengthy wait looked likely, but it was all pretty quick really. It takes 45 minutes or more to get 400 folks into a Boeing 747, so considering there were 3,000+ of us, pretty efficient really.

A little lady person called the colours out & displayed it on a board. When they eventually reached "G" we were pretty damn excited.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46896 on: August 31, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »

You get a bit institutionalised on these things, go here, go there, queue somewhere else.

As we stepped on board, we got beckoned in front of a photographer, almost as if it were mandatory, & they took our picture, rather embarrassingly.

Gill, who is a bit of a shopaholic - to put it mildly - then went & paid to get the photo made up into a.....tablemat.

So if you fancy eating your dinner off me, we can cut a deal.

Excuse the shadowy smudges on the table mat, it was in a cellophane wrapper which I was forbidden to remove. You get the picture, though.....

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46897 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »

Batting somewhat above the average this season I see.
Well played Wink

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46898 on: August 31, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »

Batting somewhat above the average this season I see.
Well played Wink

Gill is convinced they touched up the photo to remove her wrinkles. Think they added about 2 stone to me, too, the buggers. I'm much more lithe in real life, obv. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46899 on: August 31, 2016, 01:03:27 PM »

There were 2 evening meals, one Saturday, one Sunday.

We avoided the "Black Tie/Evening dress" affair, & just did casual the first night, in what seemed a fairly posh restaurant by our standards.

I had fish stuff.

For commoners amongst you, folk from Dereham & such parts, the round green things are peas, the big round cakey looking thing is crab cake (?), the round brown things are mushrooms, the round white thing is plaice, & the round beige things are spuds.

Not bad, actually, though that crab cake thing was well weird, had a sort of fish flavour to it if I'm not mistaken. Fish & cakes don't mix in my world, tbh.

Gill thought the whole idea of eating on a posh boat was wonderful, & she was in her absolute element.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:15:01 PM by tikay » Logged

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46900 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

We avoided the "Black Tie/Evening dress" affair, & just did casual the first night, in what seemed a fairly posh restaurant by our standards.

I had fish stuff.

For commoners amongst you, folk from Dereham & such parts, the round green things are peas, the big round cakey looking thing is crab cake (?), the round brown things are mushrooms, the round white thing is plaice, & the round beige things are spuds.

Not bad, actually, though that crab cake thing was well weird, had a sort of fish flavour to it if I'm not mistaken. Fish & cakes don't mix in my world, tbh.

Gill thought the whole idea of eating on a posh boat was wonderful, & she was in her absolute element.

Pfft

I've been on a cruise matey boy , i even had Lobster.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46901 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

I had fish stuff.

Pfft

I've been on a cruise matey boy , i even had Lobster.

Rock lobster?

Scary.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46902 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »

To go ashore in St Peter Port, Guernsey, we had to take a little boat thing, it was actually a ship's lifeboat.

Three things can't sink, but boy oh boy, they toss about like a cork in rough water. Quite exciting actually, we felt like adventurers.  

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46903 on: August 31, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »

That thing is called a ship's tender.

"Tender" can mean.....

A railway locomotive tender, the thing that carries the coal & water.

A Ship's tender, which is really a little boat.

The texture of a piece of food, meat usually.

A sore part of the body, such as an injury.

A form of currency. (Paying for something)

A bid for a Contract.

All those different meanings, all spelt the same. How the hell do people from, faraway places ever learn English?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:34:27 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46904 on: August 31, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »

20 minutes later, after much bobbing about on waves, we were ashore in St Peter Port, which is all rather old, quaint, & 1950 ish.

Pages: 1 ... 3123 3124 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 3130 3131 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: