blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 3361 3362 [3363] 3364 3365 3366 3367 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296139 times)
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50430 on: September 02, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »

Here's a fascinating photo that was sent to me by K4Suited, as he had some difficulty uploading it. 

He will be along later to comment.

Click to see full-size image.

Aha! Thanks Iktay.

Being aware of our leader's fascination with most things engineering, I thought there'd be some interest in the black & yellow robot at the front of this aircraft. Up until recently, all aircraft at LHR were pushed back from the stand by a tow and driver, and a walking guide who held a 'stop-cable' in case of a need for an emergency stop, since the tow driver's visibility is severely restricted from the cab of the tow. With advanced technology, BA have begun to adopt these robots which are remote controlled from a better vantage point. Fewer people on the ground, fewer accidents... Oh, and smaller manpower costs.

I hasten to add that I've not done a ton of research on this, since I was just trying to get this pic up whilst it was fresh on my phone. So I'll start investigations in preparedness of any questions coming in.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50431 on: September 02, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »

I'm not particularly for or against Will Kassouf generally, we exchange the usual pleasantries when we cross paths, & I don't dislike him, but I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than endure sharing a poker table with him for hours on end.

The jury remains out on whether he is "good for poker", but I'd bet good money that John Hesp has been better for poker in the UK than Mr Kassouf. There IS a "Hesp Effect", & it's positive. I'd need a lot of convincing that Will Kassouf has been genuinely "good for poker". 

Meanwhile, feel free to enjoy - or not - this 8 minute hand which should have taken 30 seconds.

I've shared a table with Kassouf once or twice, my strategy is not to respond to his taunting in any way because when I do I start to lose my composure, so I stay silent and try to decide how to play my hand.

The trouble is, because I don't speak at all the dealer keeps making that little karate-chop motion in front of me and saying, "Your turn Sir" every 10 seconds, so the I have to tell the dealer that I know it's my turn and that I'm thinking, which of course gives Kassouf more ammunition.

It's a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

The older I get, the better I was.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50432 on: September 02, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »

I'm not particularly for or against Will Kassouf generally, we exchange the usual pleasantries when we cross paths, & I don't dislike him, but I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than endure sharing a poker table with him for hours on end.

The jury remains out on whether he is "good for poker", but I'd bet good money that John Hesp has been better for poker in the UK than Mr Kassouf. There IS a "Hesp Effect", & it's positive. I'd need a lot of convincing that Will Kassouf has been genuinely "good for poker". 

Meanwhile, feel free to enjoy - or not - this 8 minute hand which should have taken 30 seconds.

I'm ambivalent about Will. I know him quite well; we're not drinking or playing buddies, but I got to know him over a long weekend in Gibraltar when we were there for the SuperStack comp. He's certainly not got an inflated ego, I just think he's lost sensitivity of where "banter" becomes mocking. If I recall correctly, one of the hands on his 2016 WSOP journey involved flopping set over set against a very quiet, humble Chinese (?) gentleman and rather than show some respect he kept chirping all the way to the river. I found that a painful watch. In the same way, he continues what he calls "banter" in the face of an opponent who is clearly not happy and struggling to not grab WK by the throat.

Despite all this, I honestly feel that he's a decent guy, and would no doubt extend a helping hand whenever asked. Good for the game? It depends on the definition, really. If it simply means bringing more people into the game and raising interest in it from outside the game's natural boundaries then I guess it's a yes. Is Hesp a far nicer person/a than WK? Definitely. All IMO of course.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #50433 on: September 02, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »

One thing about him is he hasn't changed in the slightest in the 9 years since i first played with him.  Fair play to him for that.  He used to never fold 29off in 2008.  I have seen him bust out of a live MTT 5 bet shoving 29 off because he never folds it.  He used to say '9 high like a boss' back then when he won with it.  This isn't some act for TV.  He has just always been like this.  He still uses all the same verbal 'material' he did back then.  The only thing he really needs to do to reinvent himself is some new material speech wise as he has been using the current stuff nonstop for ten years.

Hesp is definitely 100 times better for the game than Will.  Hesp will bring way more long term losers into the game than Will, who will appeal to the kids and nerds more who could become good at the game.

He is a terrible blackjack player as well.  Literally clueless about how to play.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:00:53 PM by arbboy » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50434 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »

I'm ambivalent about Will. I know him quite well; we're not drinking or playing buddies, but I got to know him over a long weekend in Gibraltar when we were there for the SuperStack comp. He's certainly not got an inflated ego, I just think he's lost sensitivity of where "banter" becomes mocking. If I recall correctly, one of the hands on his 2016 WSOP journey involved flopping set over set against a very quiet, humble Chinese (?) gentleman and rather than show some respect he kept chirping all the way to the river. I found that a painful watch. In the same way, he continues what he calls "banter" in the face of an opponent who is clearly not happy and struggling to not grab WK by the throat.

Despite all this, I honestly feel that he's a decent guy, and would no doubt extend a helping hand whenever asked. Good for the game? It depends on the definition, really. If it simply means bringing more people into the game and raising interest in it from outside the game's natural boundaries then I guess it's a yes. Is Hesp a far nicer person/a than WK? Definitely. All IMO of course.

It's the mocking that is the problem. Nobody wants to be mocked on a poker table (or a forum for that matter) so they just abstain eventually. And that is why Hesp is a zillion times better for poker & the poker ecology than Will.

Will is not a bad bloke, no, I agree, he's fine. Very good player, too. But he is one of those types who gets his kicks from belittling others, which is an awful trait to have. Belittling & mocking others means more to him than winning. If he could sort that, he'd be fine, & probably good for the game.

IMO, obv.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:13:30 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50435 on: September 04, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »

Stuart Grindle from Doncaster won "Best Lawn, 2017" recently for his pride & joy.

He spends 30 hours per week tending it, & has done so for over 40 years now.

It all seems a bit silly in some ways, all that time over a bit of grass. I expect he thinks the same about poker players though, as we sit behind a screen night after night tipping & tapping, & getting all upset with those who beat us.

Worth noting that for the final cut, Stuart uses a hand pushed 14 blade Ransomes Certes mower.

Red-Dog used to have a wonderful old mower, too, but he threw it in the skip & got a new fangled one.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50436 on: September 04, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »

Here's a fascinating photo that was sent to me by K4Suited, as he had some difficulty uploading it. 

He will be along later to comment.

Aha! Thanks Iktay.

Being aware of our leader's fascination with most things engineering, I thought there'd be some interest in the black & yellow robot at the front of this aircraft. Up until recently, all aircraft at LHR were pushed back from the stand by a tow and driver, and a walking guide who held a 'stop-cable' in case of a need for an emergency stop, since the tow driver's visibility is severely restricted from the cab of the tow. With advanced technology, BA have begun to adopt these robots which are remote controlled from a better vantage point. Fewer people on the ground, fewer accidents... Oh, and smaller manpower costs.

I hasten to add that I've not done a ton of research on this, since I was just trying to get this pic up whilst it was fresh on my phone. So I'll start investigations in preparedness of any questions coming in.

Nice looking piece of kit that.

By "robot" I assume you mean that it is "remote-controlled" by a bloke in the Office upstairs?

Tugs usually have large wheels, to aid traction when pushing such heavy kit, but that robot must have miniature wheels. How that work?

I have always been rather fond of those "tugs" (is that the correct term?) that push the aircraft back off the stand. Perfectly functional with no nod to fashion or aesthetics. Beautiful in their ugliness, you might say.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50437 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »

How cool is this one?

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #50438 on: September 04, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »

That is a beautiful lawn.

On Kassouf, doubt anyone outside poker would have been attracted to poker because of him. The old grandad finalling might have brought some in.

Enjoyed some vicarious moments watching kassoufs run last year because it was exceptional. Everything else since is just so dull.

On a personal level, I'd speak to him if at a table but I wouldn't walk one yard to listen to a wave of quite mental soundbites and cliches and have someone assail my senses talking at me rather than engaging with me.

The whole good for bad for poker thing is really abstract I think. I don't give a mosquitos nadge either way

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50439 on: September 04, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »

That is a beautiful lawn.

On Kassouf, doubt anyone outside poker would have been attracted to poker because of him. The old grandad finalling might have brought some in.

Enjoyed some vicarious moments watching kassoufs run last year because it was exceptional. Everything else since is just so dull.

On a personal level, I'd speak to him if at a table but I wouldn't walk one yard to listen to a wave of quite mental soundbites and cliches and have someone assail my senses talking at me rather than engaging with me.

The whole good for bad for poker thing is really abstract I think. I don't give a mosquitos nadge either way

I suspect the mosquito would hold a different opinion. None of us want to feel emasculated.

The older I get, the better I was.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50440 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-airports-get-their-codes?mbid=social_facebook

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50441 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »

Bet you know them all off by heart. Wink

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50442 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »

Just seen two fabulous photos on the BBC News website;

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #50443 on: September 04, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »

As an out and out fun player I would rather chew my own head than spend one second of my life with that tool.

It's the mocking that is the problem. Nobody wants to be mocked on a poker table (or a forum for that matter) so they just abstain eventually. And that is why Hesp is a zillion times better for poker & the poker ecology than Will.

Will is not a bad bloke, no, I agree, he's fine. Very good player, too. But he is one of those types who gets his kicks from belittling others, which is an awful trait to have. Belittling & mocking others means more to him than winning. If he could sort that, he'd be fine, & probably good for the game.

IMO, obv.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #50444 on: September 04, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »

One thing about him is he hasn't changed in the slightest in the 9 years since i first played with him.  Fair play to him for that.  He used to never fold 29off in 2008.  I have seen him bust out of a live MTT 5 bet shoving 29 off because he never folds it.  He used to say '9 high like a boss' back then when he won with it.  This isn't some act for TV.  He has just always been like this.  He still uses all the same verbal 'material' he did back then.  The only thing he really needs to do to reinvent himself is some new material speech wise as he has been using the current stuff nonstop for ten years.

Hesp is definitely 100 times better for the game than Will.  Hesp will bring way more long term losers into the game than Will, who will appeal to the kids and nerds more who could become good at the game.

He is a terrible blackjack player as well.  Literally clueless about how to play.

Can take or leave Will.. not a fanboy like some..always say hi to him and.. Having played with him often he used to rile me something rotten but just stick my earbuds in now and let it all wash over my head.. I think his most annoying trait is to play every single box of a blackjack table for £5..thats just being a dick

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Pages: 1 ... 3359 3360 3361 3362 [3363] 3364 3365 3366 3367 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: