blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:12:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3728 3729 3730 3731 [3732] 3733 3734 3735 3736 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6320580 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55965 on: June 03, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »

You sorted your Vegas schedule yet ?

Ha, no, not yet. Don't plan to play much this year, but I really ought to take a look at what suits my dates. In surprising news - very surprising news - I finished 21st of 423 for £610 at SPT Glasgow last weekend. Don't ask how many bullets I had though....

Had one of the weirdest experiences of my entire poker journey too. There were 2 Day 1's, & I carried a stack of 62,000 (25 Bigs) from Day 1A. Played again on Saturday, Day 1B, so if I went through, I surrender the smallest stack of the two. When they called "last 5 hands", I had 46,000. Well that's no good, so I needed a double up or bust, as 46,000 would be surrendered, & I was freerolling. So I moved all-in pre-flop for five consecutive hands with all sorts of junk - 6-2, 7-3, etc. Never got called once, but ended up with 72,000. Can honestly say it was one of the the most exciting 15 minutes I've ever had at the poker table, and the weirdest thing was that I was praying for a call each time, despite my ultra modest holdings. It just felt so wrong to get it in that bad and yet want a call.

Hope you & the family are all OK David.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #55966 on: June 03, 2022, 12:45:46 PM »

What the hell is this?

Retired city banker invests £12k and ends up with £8k and sues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61676208

The Woodford fund ended up as a shambles, but he is hardly a naive mug investor, it only seems to be part of his investments and it doesn't even seem much of a loss?  

Bankers seem to be naturally greedy. Hardly seems worth the effort, but it probably keeps him awake at nights. I wish £4,000 was the biggest loss I've suffered in share dealings in dodgy outfits.

Well that is it, bankers massively lacking in self awareness.  I lost more than that in banks in the financial crisis and thinking my banking shares were down 90% in total at one point (one was -100%).  Even though RBS put out terribly misleading statements, I mostly put it down to my own stupidity.   

I do think it is way too easy to say bankers, fund mamagers should have realised X could happen, when before X happpened, pretty much nobody was saying banks will go bust if X happens.  Like I work in insurance, so we look what will happen if there is a pandemic, what happens with high inflation, what happens in share crashes.  We do this a lot. 

I dare say nobody calculated what would happen if we have a pendemic, causing a lockdown, causing a share crash and then a massive surge in inflation, but interest rates will stay really low.  It is just a series of things you'd never put together.  Easy to say this could happen now, as we have just seen it, but the imagination doesn't stretch that far.  FWIW It really hasn't been that bad.    Mortality in the elderly isn't bad, most companies and shares recovered, and borrowing is still fairly cheap.  It could have bernway worse and "impossible" to predict.

Congrats on the min cash Tikay.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #55967 on: June 03, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »

if youre playing vegas ill have 1%

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55968 on: June 03, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »

What the hell is this?

Retired city banker invests £12k and ends up with £8k and sues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61676208

The Woodford fund ended up as a shambles, but he is hardly a naive mug investor, it only seems to be part of his investments and it doesn't even seem much of a loss?  

Bankers seem to be naturally greedy. Hardly seems worth the effort, but it probably keeps him awake at nights. I wish £4,000 was the biggest loss I've suffered in share dealings in dodgy outfits.

Well that is it, bankers massively lacking in self awareness.  I lost more than that in banks in the financial crisis and thinking my banking shares were down 90% in total at one point (one was -100%).  Even though RBS put out terribly misleading statements, I mostly put it down to my own stupidity.   

I do think it is way too easy to say bankers, fund mamagers should have realised X could happen, when before X happpened, pretty much nobody was saying banks will go bust if X happens.  Like I work in insurance, so we look what will happen if there is a pandemic, what happens with high inflation, what happens in share crashes.  We do this a lot. 

I dare say nobody calculated what would happen if we have a pendemic, causing a lockdown, causing a share crash and then a massive surge in inflation, but interest rates will stay really low.  It is just a series of things you'd never put together.  Easy to say this could happen now, as we have just seen it, but the imagination doesn't stretch that far.  FWIW It really hasn't been that bad.    Mortality in the elderly isn't bad, most companies and shares recovered, and borrowing is still fairly cheap.  It could have bernway worse and "impossible" to predict.

Congrats on the min cash Tikay.

Min cash? MIN CASH? Behave.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55969 on: June 13, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55970 on: June 18, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »

Hi David,

Hope all is well at home.

Sorry for delayed replies, not enough hours in the day.

redsimon asked too,  so I'll reply properly in next post.

Before I do though, a couple of nice photos I spotted on Twitter yesterday.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55971 on: June 18, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

OK, so Vegas, in reply to booder & redsimon.

I'm only there 11 days in total, 9 days net of travelling, punctuated by three days on which I'll be working so can't play.  

That leaves 6 days, & I was hoping to find some nickel & dime stuff Downtown, but so far, I've not been able to find anything that suits.  (PLO8, PLO, Big O, Hi-Lo Stud, up to, say, $300 a pop).

But I did find one WSOP jobbie - Event 72, starting July 7th.

2022 WORLD SERIES OF POKER
EVENT #72: $1,500 MIXED OMAHA (TWO RE-ENTRIES)
Pot-Limit Omaha Hi-Lo 8 or Better; Omaha Hi-Lo 8 or Better; Big O (5 Card
Pot-Limit Omaha Hi-Lo 8 or Better) (7 HANDED)

It runs parallel with Day 2 of the WSOP Main, so that may affect number of entries.

So I plan to play that, all being well.

As it happens, a long-standing blonde friend, right out of the blue, surprised me most pleasantly by sending me a PM saying he'd like to take "up to 50%". (He's a regular customer). He did add that he was keen not to tread on anyone's toes, so if anyone else wanted some, he was cool with that & would buy less, as appropriate. Another blonde mate wants a little action, too.

So yes, if you were daft enough to want a little action, you'd be very welcome, ditto redsimon, & anyone else who may be interested.  

So the details would be as follows. I've used today's exchange rate of $1.22.

On that basis, if I have done my maths correctly;

1% = £12.30

2% = £24.60

2.5% = £30.75

5% = £61.50.

If those rates fluctuate, feel free to adjust accordingly.

There are some wealth warnings though;

I've not played "Live" (other than SPT's) for three years, & fair to say, I've probably not aged well, mainly thanks to a savage encounter with Mr COVID.

Can't promise any Stu Rutter style updates, it will just be my usual.

You are almost certainly waving goodbye to your investment.

That being said, I am ridiculously excited, & will be playing anyway.  

My Bank Details are unchanged from previous years.  

I MAY play some other bits & pieces if I can find any, but that would not be part of the stake, as there's no certainty of what, when & how much & so it makes it awkward.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:01:44 PM by tikay » Logged

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55972 on: June 18, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »

Budget for 2 re-entries imo
Hopefully you can find another couple of tournies.

Have never staked you to make a profit , its just my way of giving back to you in thanks for all the pleasure blonde has given me over the years.

Squeezing your updates are a real joy ,especially the Scoopio's.

Have a great trip.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55973 on: June 18, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »

Have never staked you to make a profit , its just my way of giving back to you in thanks for all the pleasure blonde has given me over the years.

Have a great trip.

Ha, bless you David, thank you.

Re-entries? I should have mentioned that - I'm afraid I won't be taking any re-entries at $1,500 a pop, that's way too steep for me.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #55974 on: June 18, 2022, 01:46:20 PM »

Hi  Tony, if there is any left could Newportlad and myself have 1% each, I'll send both over when confirmed please.

Thank you ever so much

xXx

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #55975 on: June 18, 2022, 02:05:02 PM »

5% please Mr T, feel free to reduce it need be.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55976 on: June 18, 2022, 02:12:42 PM »

Have a great trip.

Ha, bless you David, thank you.

Re-entries? I should have mentioned that - I'm afraid I won't be taking any re-entries at $1,500 a pop, that's way too steep for me.

IMHO for what it is worth you should definitely budget for one re-entry or you will be playing at a huge(r) disadvantage. Wink

As you know I am not a fan of re-entries but this is essentially a limited rebuy tourney and needs to be played as such.

Doobs?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55977 on: June 18, 2022, 02:15:11 PM »

How did Andrew Lloyd-Webber get into that last Ascot pic or is he a lookalike?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55978 on: June 18, 2022, 02:18:36 PM »

I'll have 5% of each bullet if you promise to gamble it up on the first one and not play scared/tight/cautious/ etc

Doesn't necessarily have to be used but I think it would help.

I know you finding the rest of what you don't sell might be a lot so just sell more! You're not there for long and at 82 or whatever you are, well, you know...

xx

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55979 on: June 18, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »

PS, never staked you before, so don't miss this rare opportunity of burning my money!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 ... 3728 3729 3730 3731 [3732] 3733 3734 3735 3736 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: