blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272576 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 3753 3754 [3755] 3756 3757 3758 3759 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6326877 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56310 on: February 25, 2023, 01:23:56 PM »

So how was 2022 for you Tony?

Hi Vinni,

The short answer is that, in many ways, it was one of the best years of my life as I got all sorts of self-inflicted problems sorted out, & it felt great. Beating adversity, even when it's self-inflicted, is the best feeling ever.

If you want a longer answer, just say, & I'll bore you all to bits. Don't blame me if it's a yawn-fest though.  

And how about you, & the family? You still with Team Galfond?

I almost wish I’d not said anything now, as it’s kind of hard to explain without sounding all pretentious, but I’m committed now, so I’ll try.

As I said, I got all sorts of personal stuff sorted out. I’m terrible with doing paperwork, domestic husbandry & stuff, I sort of let problems develop. In late 2021 I had moved back to Derbyshire, well overdue for all sorts of reasons, & the next job was to get the house sorted, which I did, & then I got stuck into getting my personal affairs in order. I had all manner of things I needed to sort, & I attacked them all & cleared everything. Did it all myself, too. Boy, that felt so good. And suddenly, I was in good shape, no worries, everything was cool. It felt very odd, bit it was - & is - glorious.

And then I woke up one morning & had one of those epiphany things. I mean, it was staring me in the face, but life races past & you don’t realise. All of life’s great challenges – school, getting an enjoyable job/career that pays enough to live comfortably, buying my first car, buying a house, paying - & paying off – the mortgage, etc etc, are all in the rear-view mirror. Every box ticked. And with that came the realisation that I no longer have any worries or stresses, my health is OK, & I have enough money to get by comfortably. I’ve arrived in Easy Street!

But I’m in my mid 70’s, & we only live so long, so it’s time to chill, no worries, no stresses, & just enjoy every day. I mean literally. Enjoy every day. I’m a born whittler, if there’s nothing to worry about I find something. And since then, I really have enjoyed every day. I get up at 7am, go to bed at 2am & enjoy every minute in between. If there’s Live sport on telly, mainly football, golf, horse racing, I watch it, & have a little “interest” bet. Dooobsy, our resident actuary, said to Tom a few weeks ago that the average lifespan these days is around 85 years. Deduct a few years for 50 years of smoking & a dodgy lifestyle, & I might well still have a good few years yet. So I decided I’d make a conscious effort to enjoy them. And woe betide anyone who tries to stop me. Time to be selfish, do what I want, when I want.

I did have a few worries, but I’m jumping ahead now. Gill was unwell for much of last year, but she’s fine now. And my Contract at Sky was up in January of this year. Why would they still want to employ someone of my vintage? I did not need the job financially, but I wanted it. Badly. I love working, always have done. But they did, a new Contract was offered (& accepted with indecent haste, in case they changed their mind) from 1st February this year for 12 months, so that’s me sorted until early 2024, health permitting. (I began 2022 with COVID, & ended it with a dreadful bout of bronchitis, but in between no other issues at all).  A few weeks ago they told me I’ve got the Vegas gig again too. BOOM. I’m in my 17th year with Sky now, it’s a miracle really. I’d retired from proper working in 2004, & suddenly it’s 2023. And what a 19 years they were.

Anyway, back to last Spring/Summer. Now my idle mind started wandering.

TBC…
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 01:27:43 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #56311 on: February 25, 2023, 02:43:29 PM »

Fabulous news, tikay.

Stay happy.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56312 on: February 25, 2023, 03:19:35 PM »

Still living the dream!

Onto the 2030s  Cool

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56313 on: February 25, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »

Fabulous news, tikay.

Stay happy.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56314 on: March 04, 2023, 03:20:04 PM »

Sorry I haven't made it down, but hope the weekend goes well, and give Adz a dig from me Grin

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #56315 on: March 04, 2023, 05:18:42 PM »

Loving the life update Tikay well done you. Loving you getting the Vegas gig again. Will Gill be taking some time in Vegas with you? Best of luck and good health.

I'm 10 years behind you but a similar dilemma.

Having been self employed for 40 years I can now afford to retire (although not as many bank vaults as full as you  Grin), but it's hard to give up all together. I went semi retired 2 years ago as a compromise but I'll have to bite the bullet soon so I have time for even more travelling than I already do. So hard when you've enjoyed doing what you do.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #56316 on: March 04, 2023, 11:21:23 PM »

Fabulous news, tikay.

Stay happy.

Just fabulous

xXx

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56317 on: March 05, 2023, 12:45:08 AM »

Loving the life update Tikay well done you. Loving you getting the Vegas gig again. Will Gill be taking some time in Vegas with you? Best of luck and good health.

I'm 10 years behind you but a similar dilemma.

Having been self employed for 40 years I can now afford to retire (although not as many bank vaults as full as you  Grin), but it's hard to give up all together. I went semi retired 2 years ago as a compromise but I'll have to bite the bullet soon so I have time for even more travelling than I already do. So hard when you've enjoyed doing what you do.

Thanks Kev. There's a lot more of the update still to come, I've been a bit all over the shop but I suppose I've just been busy enjoying myself. I'll try & get back on what I'm up to when I get back home, I've been in Brighton since Thursday & won't be home until later on Monday.

Met all sorts of old familiar faces down in Brighton, I'll put a couple of photos up shortly & let's see who recognizes them both.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56318 on: March 05, 2023, 12:49:29 AM »

The gentleman nearest the camera was a long established Brighton regular, & I believe he was a blonde for a while, & if my memory is correct, some of his blonde writings were somewhat controversial.

Name that man.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56319 on: March 05, 2023, 12:54:40 AM »

This handsome young man (quite well-regarded & well known himself) approached me for a photo to send to someone in the world of poker who has made the headlines in the last few days & who asked for the 'photo. (Long boring story there).

And as it happens, he used to be a Dealer at Brighton a long long time ago.

Name that man.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56320 on: March 05, 2023, 01:30:40 AM »

The gentleman nearest the camera was a long established Brighton regular, & I believe he was a blonde for a while, & if my memory is correct, some of his blonde writings were somewhat controversial.

Name that man.

El Sid!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 01:34:01 AM by Marky147 » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #56321 on: March 05, 2023, 01:33:28 AM »

This handsome young man (quite well-regarded & well known himself) approached me for a photo to send to someone in the world of poker who has made the headlines in the last few days & who asked for the 'photo. (Long boring story there).

And as it happens, he used to be a Dealer at Brighton a long long time ago.

Name that man.

I do recognise this chap, but my memory fails me this time.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56322 on: March 05, 2023, 09:23:22 AM »

I know who that is.
Can't remember his name though...

The older I get, the better I was.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #56323 on: March 05, 2023, 12:21:44 PM »

Nick walsh?

Good news on the skypoker gig. Hopefully youll have time to enjoy Vegas too

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #56324 on: March 05, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »

Nice to hear you’re well physically and mentally Tony
I’m younger at 64 and closed my business after 35 years and carried on with the courier work , it’s not very well paid ,but it gets me out n about and I get to see a lot of the country that I haven’t previously
My favourite area is Glastonbury down to Dorchester such beautiful rolling countryside is it Wessex / Thomas hardy country ?
Closely followed by the Lincolnshire wolds - anywhere inland from Grimsby to skegvegas 😂
My delivery area is a bit smaller now it’s Blackpool/ Preston across to Newcastle and more or less anywhere south of there out of Peterborough area
Scotland and Wales are scenic too but a bit far
Like you I still enjoy working- weirdly ?
Pokers taken a back seat ,after two hours my boney bun hurts as do hips n knees so it’s slots with Denise now with the odd poker session usually in vegas ,where we are going a bit earlier this year to avoid the heat of June / July
We’ve done a Caribbean cruise for the first time for both of us in February and whilst we enjoyed it there’s no rush to book another
It’s now a bit of work till end April then Malta for a week then home for a week then vegas 7 th may to 10 th June

Nice to hear from you again
Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 3753 3754 [3755] 3756 3757 3758 3759 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: