blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 513 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296199 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #7620 on: July 27, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »

A few simple facts.

Now one cared about the Falkland islands before it was pinpointed by Thatcher as a tool to save herself in the Conservative party and increase her popularity with the British public.

Most amusing was the fact they had offered the Argentines SHARED ownership of the islands just 2 years before, such an important colony yet they were willing to divide it's rule.

The military was only dispatched after the US reluctantly agreed. Of course this meant we had to bend over backwards for them. So to keep the US sweet we had to train Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge forces;  followers of the country’s genocidal former leader Pol Pot.

So the irony is that to justify the war on the Falklands  Thatcher starting harping an about human rights of the Argentine government (something they didn't complain about previously for the
military coup in 1976) yet trained known genocidal military to keep the US happy and not to voice opposition to it.

I am not sure what I can say to “God bless Maggie for making the world a safer place”.  It heralded in a period in which war returned to the centre of the system and the world was clearly not safer. Her tough stance on Ireland really worked well?

We have a lot to thank Thatcher for in the Uk. Who needs society after all eh?

Some great points in there for sure. It deffo beat lol doesnt it?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: July 28, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »

A few simple facts.

Now one cared about the Falkland islands before it was pinpointed by Thatcher as a tool to save herself in the Conservative party and increase her popularity with the British public.

Most amusing was the fact they had offered the Argentines SHARED ownership of the islands just 2 years before, such an important colony yet they were willing to divide it's rule.

The military was only dispatched after the US reluctantly agreed. Of course this meant we had to bend over backwards for them. So to keep the US sweet we had to train Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge forces;  followers of the country’s genocidal former leader Pol Pot.

So the irony is that to justify the war on the Falklands  Thatcher starting harping an about human rights of the Argentine government (something they didn't complain about previously for the
military coup in 1976) yet trained known genocidal military to keep the US happy and not to voice opposition to it.

I am not sure what I can say to “God bless Maggie for making the world a safer place”.  It heralded in a period in which war returned to the centre of the system and the world was clearly not safer. Her tough stance on Ireland really worked well?

We have a lot to thank Thatcher for in the Uk. Who needs society after all eh?

Some great points in there for sure. It deffo beat lol doesnt it?

Whoever you vote for Government wins

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: July 28, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »

DTD tonight for the reinstated £100 freezeout Tony ?

I'll take that as a "no" then....

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7623 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »

Don't know why but there's a smell of cheap pork hanging about this thread all of a sudden....ah..it's gone Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:54:07 AM by boldie » Logged

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: July 28, 2008, 10:53:18 AM »

A few simple facts.

a) When did Thatcher ever do anything designed to make herself more popular or keep the Conservatives in power?
b) More importantly losing a war or committing to a long expensive war doesn't make you popular - aren't you drawing conclusions from the result of the action rather than considering whether it was a +EV move to start with?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: July 28, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »

A Weston-Super-Mare resident said she thought she could smell something burning.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »

Note the oddity of W-S-M Pier - if you jump off it, you don't drown.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: July 28, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

Quick question about piers.

Why??

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: July 28, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »

A few simple facts.

a) When did Thatcher ever do anything designed to make herself more popular or keep the Conservatives in power?
b) More importantly losing a war or committing to a long expensive war doesn't make you popular - aren't you drawing conclusions from the result of the action rather than considering whether it was a +EV move to start with?

(a)probably resigning would get my vote, most people would say the right to buy,
(b)when the falklands broke out there was a fierce sense of patriotism in this country,at the time it was hard not to be affected by all this, there where lots of people i knew who where convinced at the time this was a con to boost national pride ,maggie had made us a great country once again, these people where shouted down as being militant,she won a landslide victory at the next election so i don't see how it didn't help there election chances.looking back i think both sides took advantage of the situation to gain political popularity at home,i have always thought history will remember Thatcher for what she was a very cold clever dangerous woman
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: July 28, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »

Piers

Piers have been built for several different purposes, and because these different purposes have distinct regional variances, the term pier tends to have different nuances of meaning in different parts of the world. Thus in North America and Australia, where many ports were, until recently, built on the multiple pier model, the term tends to imply a current or former cargo-handling facility. In Europe however, where ports have tended to use basins and river-side quays rather than piers, the term is principally associated with the image of a Victorian cast iron pleasure pier.

Pleasure piers were first built in England, during the 19th century. At that time the introduction of the railways for the first time permitted mass tourism to dedicated seaside resorts. However, the large tidal ranges at many such resorts meant that for much of the day, the sea was not visible from dry land. The pleasure pier was the resorts' answer, permitting holiday makers to promenade over and alongside the sea at all times. The longest Pleasure pier in the world is at Southend-on-sea, Essex, and extends 2,158 m into the Thames estuary.

Pleasure piers often include other amusements and theatres as part of the attraction. Such a pier may be open air, closed, or partly open, partly closed. Sometimes a pier has two decks.

Early pleasure piers were of wooden construction, with iron structures being introduced with the construction in 1855 of Margate Jetty, in Margate, England. One of the oldest iron piers still remaining is in Southport, also in England and dates from 1860.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7630 on: July 28, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

A few simple facts.

(a)probably resigning would get my vote, most people would say the right to buy,
(b)when the falklands broke out there was a fierce sense of patriotism in this country,at the time it was hard not to be affected by all this, there where lots of people i knew who where convinced at the time this was a con to boost national pride ,maggie had made us a great country once again, these people where shouted down as being militant,she won a landslide victory at the next election so i don't see how it didn't help there election chances.looking back i think both sides took advantage of the situation to gain political popularity at home,i have always thought history will remember Thatcher for what she was a very cold clever dangerous woman

And until Tony Blair started praising her that is exactly how she was remembered.

and right to buy is an outright disaster for the UK housing market.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7631 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »

Why??

Peer pressure from other seaside resorts.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: July 28, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

Southend Pier is uniqie, in that it has it's own Railway, pictured here.

William Heygate was at one time Lord Mayor of London, & it was his idea for a pier to be built at Southend, where he had a residence.

During World War 2, Southend Pier was requisitioned by the Royal Navy, & became "HMS Leigh".

In recent years, Southend, Brighton (West) & now W-S-M piers have all been severely damaged by fire. Wooden-decked structures, severe financial losses from day-to-day operations, & good insurance policies, are key to the reason.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7633 on: July 28, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »

Why??

Peer pressure from other seaside resorts.

Now go hang your head in shame.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: July 28, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »

Not too well today, so have decided to give best, & abandon ship here at Feltham. An early night will solve everything.

I'm back here tomorrow & Wednesday, 2 Shows tomnorrow, one Wednesday, then thats it for a fortnight, I'm on Sky holiday until mid-August. And so, for the firat time I can recall, I'm free to play a poker Fessie - the Luton GUKPT jobbie, at which, all being well, I'll play the whole thing. Happy days.

The outstanding questions & feedback, & PM's, I'll try & answer later, maybe, when I get back to my hotel.

Pages: 1 ... 505 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 513 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: