blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 647 [648] 649 650 651 652 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334867 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9705 on: October 19, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »

Don't be in a rush to win every pot you play, i can't believe this is me telling you that, anyway so you raise with AK and miss, just give it up, wait for the next time. When you do hit in a 6 way pot chances are someone else has hit as well so you will get paid nicely

Me? In a rush in a 2-dayer? You jest!

But if I play A-K 6 handed, & hit, & someone else hits, the chances are they'll have hit more than one Pair. If I have 5 players behind me, I just can't fire at it. I only want 1 oppo with that hand. Alternatively, I can play it passively, & see what develops, which is my usual preferred option versus a table of calling-stations.

So, I had to adjust my play - which I found quite difficult. But good fun, & challenging. And in doing so, I ran 20k up to 56k in 3 Levels. And back down to Zero in 10 minutes.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
wormster

View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: October 19, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »

I adored Duxford tikay, we spoke about it a while ago if you remember.

My best bit was the WW2 American collection in the sloping roof hall.

Cracking day out.

When we were on the train the other day I couldn't help but notice you peer out and crane your neck as we passed the RAF Museum Hendon. Another good place to visit given a spare half a day..especially for the Lancaster bomber.

A quick question for you Tikay. What do you think of the Dambusters mission. I mean that from an engineering aspect with Barnes Wallis & the "bouncing bomb"  & the sheer bravery it took 617 Squaron to fly those HUGE Lancaster Bombers low in to a well defended target.

I only ask as a few weeks ago I was playing golf at Silvermere Golf Course where the 17th & 18th play over the lake where Wallis did somes tests for the bomb.

After trying to explain the concept to my american mate (surprise surprise he had never heard of the dambusters!), I took the time to read up on it again on the internet & it's fascinating stuff.

Amazed by the whole thing. The genius of the idea, so far-fetched most thought it was stupid. And the bravery of the pilots.

Never, have so many, been so grateful.......or something like that.

Can you imagine Wallis going to see some RAF suit & I saying "I've got this idea...."

And it wasn't just about getting the bomb to spin at the right revolutions & letting it bounce into the dam. The bomb had to STOP bouncing just before the dam wall so that it would sink to the bottom & then explode, thus destroying the dam wall. I think 617 had several runs at it before getting it right. Boy's own stuff really.

Wasn't it also a total waste of time, energy and life, though ?

I'm scaping up vague memories of stuff long since read ( I think he invented a 'Tallboy' bomb which was equally as amazing but not as famous ), and if I remember rightly the Dambusting raid cost fortunes in time and money to develop the bomb, convert the 'planes, and train the crews.

Then the raid itself cost the lives of many of those brave men.

And the 'Krauts' only went and repaired the damage within a week or so.  Not fair at all.

Just reading up on it and you're right that the Germans repaired the damage, in about a month. And the loss of life for 617 was around 40%!.

While some would say that the raid didn't actually do much it had a huge affect on the farmland in the area, which was a major source of food for Germany. It also proved a valuable moral booster for the folks back in Britain & it gave "Bomber" Harris the idea of "Earthquake Bombing" which used Wallis' "Tallboy" bomb.

And it was made into a brilliant film with one of the most memorable theme tunes!

And of course there was this:  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qKHc-U2FNHk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: October 19, 2008, 04:03:05 PM »

I adored Duxford tikay, we spoke about it a while ago if you remember.

My best bit was the WW2 American collection in the sloping roof hall.

Cracking day out.

When we were on the train the other day I couldn't help but notice you peer out and crane your neck as we passed the RAF Museum Hendon. Another good place to visit given a spare half a day..especially for the Lancaster bomber.

A quick question for you Tikay. What do you think of the Dambusters mission. I mean that from an engineering aspect with Barnes Wallis & the "bouncing bomb"  & the sheer bravery it took 617 Squaron to fly those HUGE Lancaster Bombers low in to a well defended target.

I only ask as a few weeks ago I was playing golf at Silvermere Golf Course where the 17th & 18th play over the lake where Wallis did somes tests for the bomb.

After trying to explain the concept to my american mate (surprise surprise he had never heard of the dambusters!), I took the time to read up on it again on the internet & it's fascinating stuff.

Amazed by the whole thing. The genius of the idea, so far-fetched most thought it was stupid. And the bravery of the pilots.

Never, have so many, been so grateful.......or something like that.

Can you imagine Wallis going to see some RAF suit & I saying "I've got this idea...."

And it wasn't just about getting the bomb to spin at the right revolutions & letting it bounce into the dam. The bomb had to STOP bouncing just before the dam wall so that it would sink to the bottom & then explode, thus destroying the dam wall. I think 617 had several runs at it before getting it right. Boy's own stuff really.

Wasn't it also a total waste of time, energy and life, though ?

I'm scaping up vague memories of stuff long since read ( I think he invented a 'Tallboy' bomb which was equally as amazing but not as famous ), and if I remember rightly the Dambusting raid cost fortunes in time and money to develop the bomb, convert the 'planes, and train the crews.

Then the raid itself cost the lives of many of those brave men.

And the 'Krauts' only went and repaired the damage within a week or so.  Not fair at all.

Sadly, you are 100% correct, but that spoils the romance of the story!

Really, it was a "morale thing" rather than a worthwhile & effective ploy. Still well clever though.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: October 19, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »

Congrats to Simon "Mother Hen" Trumper, on another nice score for his Stakers.

Everyone who staked him at The Vic, & now Thanet, is nicely ahead, & what's more, can feel part of the Tourney, as Simon keeps everyone fully informed with Tourney Reports.

Good stuff, & exactly how Live Staking should be conducted.

Nice one, Mother.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: October 19, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »

Busy busy at Feltham today, so I arrived early. The drive down was lovely, the roads (M1, M25, M3) quiet, the October sun shining, & all is well with the world.

I have 3 things to do today.

5pm - A "pre-record". This is one of those, hopefully humorous, intros we do sometimes at the top of the Show. In fact, we are doing an intro & an out-ro, both of them for a Show we are recording at 6pm for Transmission on Wednesday.

I did one of these earlier this week, it was a Ringo-Starr "Peace & Love" spoof. Mr Crow wrote & asked me what it was all about. We must try & be a little less subtle.

I can't do a "reveal" about what this intro & outro will be about, but here's a clue.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: October 19, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »

Then, at 6pm, we do a 1 hour recording, DP & myself, which will air on Wednesday evening I believe. I recorded one for Tuesday evening on Friday. Confused? I am.

And at 9pm, it's the Sunday Showdown, & tonight I get an easy night, as I'm one of two "Guest" players - Norman Pace is the other, & we both play "The Open", as a sort of inter-Presenter/Analyst last-longer. So I get to sit down all night, just as well after I walked so far yesterday & my legs are now killing me.

I can't believe I get paid to do these sort of things, but I do, so I'd best go & rehearse the Intro & Outro now. It's actually quite a difficult ask, but we'll sort it somehow. Red Arrows......

wormster

View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »

Busy busy at Feltham today, so I arrived early. The drive down was lovely, the roads (M1, M25, M3) quiet, the October sun shining, & all is well with the world.

5pm - A "pre-record". This is one of those, hopefully humorous, intros we do sometimes at the top of the Show. In fact, we are doing an intro & an out-ro, both of them for a Show we are recording at 6pm for Transmission on Wednesday.

I did one of these earlier this week, it was a Ringo-Starr "Peace & Love" spoof. Mr Crow wrote & asked me what it was all about. We must try & be a little less subtle.

I can't do a "reveal" about what this intro & outro will be about, but here's a clue.

Are you going to run on the set with blue smoke coming out of your arse? Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: October 19, 2008, 04:50:58 PM »

Are you going to run on the set with blue smoke coming out of your arse? Smiley

Rumbled.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: October 19, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »

Yes well done Simon. I was talking to him last night and he was very pleased to be at the second consecitive final table of a £1000 entry tournament.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: October 19, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »

It's the future...

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: October 20, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

sewn in?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: October 20, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

Is there any other way?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: October 20, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

wouldn't know m8
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »

I thought it looked rather fetching.

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #9719 on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »

I thought it looked rather retching.

FYP.

(retching /retch·ing/ (rech´ing) strong involuntary effort to vomit.)
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 647 [648] 649 650 651 652 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: