blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 09:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273399 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 835 836 [837] 838 839 840 841 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6411896 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12540 on: April 03, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »

A quick punctuation question. Correct grammar seems to get discussed on this thread sometimes so I thought I'd hijack rather than start a new topic for something so dull.

I've just posted on another thread something along the lines of:

I thought to myself "How can they do that?"

My question is, should I be using quotations for thoughts or are they just for speech?

If I shouldn't use quotes then what should I be using instead if anything?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12541 on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

A quick punctuation question. Correct grammar seems to get discussed on this thread sometimes so I thought I'd hijack rather than start a new topic for something so dull.

My question is, should I be using quotations for thoughts or are they just for speech?

That's fine, though you need a comma after 'myself'.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: April 03, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »

Yes you should use quotes, but I'd probably go for single quotes rather than double in this instance.

ps - any questions on grammar and the like, I'm your woman - spent 14 years writing very dull reports that had to be spot on!  I know i'm rubbish on here (leaving out caps etc) but that's just rebellion I think!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:34:22 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12543 on: April 03, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »

There's no real difference between single and double quotes - you only need to use specific ones if you're using nested quotes.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: April 03, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »

Use quotes, always, please. It's just better. Correcter. More corrector.....

HM The Queen-Ness would write thusly.....

Philip has been rude again, so one thought to oneself, "it's too much", &, you know, one thinks it is.

Single or double quotes? - see Andrew's latest reply.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: April 03, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »

Yes you should use quotes, but I'd probably go for single quotes rather than double in this instance.

ps - any questions on grammar and the like, I'm your woman - spent 14 years writing very dull reports that had to be spot on!  I know i'm rubbish on here (leaving out caps etc) but that's just rebellion I think!

We know - it shows!

Bad grammar jumps off the page. 

Like you, I get a bit lazy on here, but it's bad really.

My training was always this - write the piece first, then read it through, smarten it up, fettle it, faff about with it, as you would a vase of flowers, until it's "just so". Then ask, "Am I proud of this?".

If yes, fine, if not, fettle some more.

My pet loathing is sentences that begin with lower case letters, but even worse, those that begin, "me and John", or even worse, "John and me".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: April 03, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »

Bubbles..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: April 03, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

Philip has been rude again, so one thought to oneself, "it's too much", &, you know, one thinks it is.

Forsooth, the exalted one doth level thy readers.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: April 03, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »

would of, should of and whatever people write instead of they're is my pet grrrrr

but capitalization for the majority of posts in poker forums where the poster is not a typist is lol waste of time imo

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:49:08 PM by byronkincaid » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: April 03, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »

would of, should of and whatever people write instead of they're is my pet grrrrr

but capitalization for the majority of posts in poker forums where the poster is not a typist is lol waste of time imo

"would of, should of" - it's unlikely that those who write that realise it's wrong. Or, to be fair, care.

"their", "there", "they're", & "theyre", as above.

Blame the Schools, & Parents.

Capitalization? Yes & no. It's a waste of time, yes, but if we say that, then it opens the door to a general reduction in standards, & who knows where that may end? Then we abandon commas, paragraphs, all the things that embellish the written word.

I suppose I could be called a grammar snob, and I am, but I'm wholly tolerant to those who genuinely struggle with it & never berate publically. I spent 7 years helping those with literacy issues, on an entirely voluntary basis, as part of a wider scheme in Derbyshire, some years back, & I was very proud of what I helped do there. But not as proud as those who, quite quickly, mastered the art of writing properly, which was a novelty to them. They had not been taught, the system abandoned them, but now they felt as if they belonged. At the age of 13, I learned to read, & was so proud, I went around telling everyone, "I can read!", & they were thinking - I could see it - "so what, you are 13 ffs?". But they never imagined, for a moment, the sense of achievement I felt.

I think it's fair to say that most take your line - "why bother with capitalization?" for example, which is wholly different to not knowing.

bolt fascinates me - he can write "textbook" if he wishes, but he writes sloppy higgly piggly, & it comes across brilliantly.

I think we'd better move on, to poker, F1, or hydraulic back-actor excavators, or something, before everyone falls asleep.

What are your plans for Easter?

We don't see enough of you in Live Poker. Get out more.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »

I just received this 'photo, by e-Mail. Whatever are they trying to tell me?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »

I just received this 'photo, by e-Mail. Whatever are they trying to tell me?

Is that The Shreddies' new logo ?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12552 on: April 03, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »

"would of, should of" - it's unlikely that those who write that realise it's wrong. Or, to be fair, care.

I blame the internet poker forums which frown upon posters criticising lazy illiteracy in others' posts.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: April 03, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

I blame the internet poker forums which frown upon posters criticising lazy illiteracy in others' posts.

What a great expression - sums it up really. Can write right, won't write right.

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: April 03, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »

We don't see enough of you in Live Poker. Get out more.

Unfortunately poker is just a job now and not really fun anymore and if I do rough figures the numbers don't really work out for travelling to live comps. I have asked twice what a decent ROI for live comps is but nobody answers so as a total guess lets say I'm 200% ROI at a £100 comp in Luton that starts at 8pm.

I'll have to leave the house at 6pm latest to get there on time and say on average I get home at 4am that's 10 hours to win £200 less £20ish petrol and say £10 food and drinks and there are tips as well so round it down to £15 an hour. Plus negatives like wear and tear on the old jalopy and staying up all night which screws up my routine with school runs and gyms etc.

So financially it's not worth it. There is a social thing of course but while (whilst?Smiley ) I have been on a couple of really fun tables a lot of live players just seem to like talking about bad beats all night. I could play live cash after the comp but getting 20 hands an hour when you're used to 600 is really tedious I have found.

So really it's not worth me going out of the door for less than a £300 comp probably, that APAT one was perfect with added value and no juice, but there are still issues with sick variance and wtf bankroll do you need? 100 buyins? £30K?

I keep on saying next year I'll play the full GUKPT, maybe one year I'll actually get round to it Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 835 836 [837] 838 839 840 841 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: