blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Would YOU have played this hand?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would YOU have played this hand?  (Read 4851 times)
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

This hand is very interesting. It's initially a fold pre-flop for me.

On the flop I would probably check raise although I do like Hilm's flat call as well as he's obviously decided if he doesn't hit the flush he's gonna check raise all-in anyway which would represent a very big hand rather than a draw. If Yang checks the turn he gets a free card.

I have to give credit to Yang though. (I presume) he made the right deduction to make a fantastic call, the only likely monster Hilm could have is KJ, KK, 55 or JJ in the hole. I believe if Hilm had KK or JJ he would re-raise Yang's raise pre-flop because he would be out of position post-flop. If Hilm had position he could just call with KK. If Hilm had KJ he probably would have check-raised or bet the two pair as the flop also brought a flush and straight draw. Therefore the only likely holdings are probably trip or a bluff. Putting this together with the fact he's a Scando there is a very good shout for calling. Lose and you take a hit but you're still in, win it and your in good shape to win.
turn check raise always just smells of draw here to me. A massive hand on this flop, like a set or 2 pair or something is mostly protecting itself against a flush draw. Yang is playing maniac poker previously, and knows they know it. Someone hitting big on that flop does not flat call. The turn...how is that helping anyone? The check raise all in is a fear response.
Hilm has failed to put him on a hand properly. If he has a strong top pair, is he really going to fold it after that kind of play, if at all? No, of course not.
Dumbass play, especially with that stack. 'I couldn't let him run over the table'. He was running over the table especially to make you do things like this.

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 04:53:15 AM »

But if he pushes, you lose 1/3rd of your stack because you can't call the all-in.

I don't hate check/calling the flop and turn to be honest. Yang didn't pass many hands so there's little point in trying to blow him out of the pot.

I believe it was Hilm who said that the first time he had sat with Yang was from the final 10. So he wouldn't have had this knowledge. 

But a c/r on the flop is better then a turn r/r all in.  As he can find out if he has the hand that can call his turn shove all in.

If you're going to go all-in here on the flop, a 3-bet is better in my opinion.

I agree, i prefer a 3-bet flop all in to a c/r straight all in on the flop.  I didnt say c/r all in on the flop though.  Just a c/r.
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 11:47:48 AM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

why is that a better play ? still putting 19 million chips in a pot with a small pair and a flush draw , granted its better than the turn push , but its hardly WSOP ME final table quality play is it ?

why even bother with the call in the first place ? he's deep stacked already . why get involved with shit like that.

he was'nt playing an online donkament , it was the biggest game of poker in history , and he made himself look like a fool imo.

There's nothing wrong with shoving it in on the flop. It's pretty much a textbook semi-bluff.

the call pre-flop is terrible and then the rest of the hand is just awful from Hilm.

I suppose though if you are playing for millions of dollars then the pressure can make you do some strange things

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
johnbhoy76

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »

a pre flop fold is better than all of the above.

Nit.

i'd rather be a nit sitting comforatbly and dangerous at the WSOP final table than scratching my head on the sideline after going from first to worst because i fell in love with suited connectors.

If he hit his 14 outer or Yang folded, he'd be sitting even more pretty, with $30 or $40M.  And this discussion wouldn't even be taking place.

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Yeah, yeah, yeah
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »

There's nothing wrong with shoving it in on the flop. It's pretty much a textbook semi-bluff.

Shoving for $19m into a $2m pot? Textbook? ok...
johnbhoy76

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

Shoving for $19m into a $2m pot? Textbook? ok...

OK I'm not advocating shoving all 19million chips in on the flop.

But there's nothing wrong with him betting out big when that flop comes down.

The main point is that he should never have been involved in the hand in the first place. MANTIS01 has outlined far better than me why this was terrible play by Hilm.

Having made a poor call pre-flop he proceeded to play it poorly from there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah
RyG

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »

Some good points here. I think personally i would have binned the hand preflop.Ive generally found players at the level of MTT i play at to check call with a set or two pair on that flop then c/r all in on the turn. Just out of interest do u think yang would have folded had Hilm led out on the flop, yang re-raised and hilm pushed?
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 04:36:37 PM »

Just out of interest do u think yang would have folded had Hilm led out on the flop, yang re-raised and hilm pushed?

Nah, i can't see him folding here.
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »

Some good points here. I think personally i would have binned the hand preflop.Ive generally found players at the level of MTT i play at to check call with a set or two pair on that flop then c/r all in on the turn. Just out of interest do u think yang would have folded had Hilm led out on the flop, yang re-raised and hilm pushed?
Judging by the rest of his play I don't think Yang would have folded.

I do not like the call preflop either. But had the flush or two pair hit against Yang's TPTK, it's pretty likely that you're gonna get paid off, right? Maybe his whole stack. Good implied odds right there.
Maybe a whole lot harder to make these decisions after so much poker, with so much money on it, and the whole world watching.

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »

Regards the post-flop play.

If you are going to put $2m in the middle on the flop....then put $2m in the middle...and be first to do it. I think checking and then calling that amount is a play to avoid here.

Having bet out to a) try and wrestle the pot from a hand like e.g. 10-10 and b) to find out how the land lies, Hilm will be swiftly re-raised. He will then know exactly where he is in the hand and can decide if he wants to risk his whole tournament on a draw?? He will then retire from the hand ruing getting involved with junk but still very much alive.

If he check-calls the $2m and a diamond hits the turn his opponent will naturally shut down and so he wont get paid the value for hitting his card anyway. If a blank comes on this drawing board he will certainly be facing another big bet on the turn...so for me he is just FISHING...there is no leverage to his play...it's just diamond....pleeeeeeease....diamond!!!!!

Check-raising all-in on the turn commits his entire tournament to luck. Why would you do this??

After a gruelling week of relentless poker you arrive in dreamland at the WSOP final table with a healthy stack. After 15 hands you find yourself committing everything hoping for an 8, 5, or diamond with one card to come....I would be horrified!!!

By the way Yang is NEVER going to fold his hand.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

I heard than Yang couldn't fold top pair? I'm calling the flop and then big decision on the turn. I don't mind the way he played it to be honest, disguised and aggressive.  I actually think all three actions are fine on the turn. Calling being the worst, but not completely horrific. Bet 3 bet all in is much better flop play and what I would probably do, though who wants to end their world series with 85s after a loose call preflop.. Call pre flop I also think is fine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:49:51 PM by Tragic » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: