blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  nice to see some honest people out there
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: nice to see some honest people out there  (Read 8026 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »

sofa,

if you're confident that the guy is genuine then you must cancel your listing, otherwise you'll have one very pissed off highest bidder when you tell him "actually, it's not for sale anymore", and ebay will probably suspend your account.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »

If I was selling my car on ebay, and had it advertised for say £7,500 - and someone said - "I'll offer you £10,000 for it, and I'll transfer £3K into your bank now as a deposit", without even seeing the car in the flesh - I'd be very, very suspicious.

Why don't you stick a £15K (or maybe £20K) 'buy it now' price on ebay, this fella (or someone else) can then make the buy it now bid and the auction closes.  Then you can sort out payment in full (making sure the money has fully cleared in your bank - ask them for confirmation that it is definitely yours and there's no way it can be reversed), or even have the payment made via a 3rd party escrow.

The thing that makes me the most wary on this occasion is his willingness to ship £5K to someone who he doesn't know.  How does he know you're not just going to leave the country with his £5K...Grin

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »

If I was selling my car on ebay, and had it advertised for say £7,500 - and someone said - "I'll offer you £10,000 for it, and I'll transfer £3K into your bank now as a deposit", without even seeing the car in the flesh - I'd be very, very suspicious.

Why don't you stick a £15K (or maybe £20K) 'buy it now' price on ebay, this fella (or someone else) can then make the buy it now bid and the auction closes.  Then you can sort out payment in full (making sure the money has fully cleared in your bank - ask them for confirmation that it is definitely yours and there's no way it can be reversed), or even have the payment made via a 3rd party escrow.

The thing that makes me the most wary on this occasion is his willingness to ship £5K to someone who he doesn't know.  How does he know you're not just going to leave the country with his £5K...Grin

because he too will have a paper trail for the 5k payment.

I'm with Matt on this one. Seems Sofa has done a fair bit of checking but in the end everything in business comes down to whether you trust someone or not. If you do and the money is in the bank it's all good.
Every sale has some sort of risk associated with it (hell every time you trust someone in life there's a risk of them shafting you) and at the end of the day even if you have covered yourself properly and done your homework sufficiently you can still get ripped off but you have to trust people otherwise you wouldn't do a bloody thing.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »

The leaving the country thing was meant to be a joke... Grin

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

If you let the auction go ahead you will have a legally binding contract with the winning bidder...

I also don't think this guy is very trustworthy, he's trying to pull a fast one in one way or another - why didn't he just let the auction run?

He's either trying some kind of obscure fraud or trying to get the van for less than he'd have to pay from the auction imo.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 01:11:33 PM »

Sofa's problem seems to have arisen from accepting this guys offer & placing the 5K in his account (he's now formally entered into a contract with him), BUT the Ebay auction is still running, if the Business sells for more than the 15K he now has 2 buyers, its just more complications, & legally (IMO) on dodgy ground.

Rule of auctions is never accept an offer before the auction ends, if they are really interested they will bid, if not there's plenty of buyers willing to pay a fair price.

I hope it works out Sofa

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 04:17:08 PM »

Sofa's problem seems to have arisen from accepting this guys offer & placing the 5K in his account (he's now formally entered into a contract with him), BUT the Ebay auction is still running, if the Business sells for more than the 15K he now has 2 buyers, its just more complications, & legally (IMO) on dodgy ground.

Rule of auctions is never accept an offer before the auction ends, if they are really interested they will bid, if not there's plenty of buyers willing to pay a fair price.

I hope it works out Sofa
thanks guys for advice,but here its like ive bought an insurance policy,,,,,,,
ive sold it for £15 yeah?
had a $5k deposit of a guy who has trusted me with his money yeah
now if its sells for more than say £20k i will give the guy his   £5k back +a good drink say £2k on top.
all the intrest ive had to add upto nothing and the highest bid could go upto say £12k then im still a winner as he has paid a £5k deposit and still owes £10 when i come home from holiday.....dont forget this guy has had nothing off me,,,no home address or home tel number,,as the thread said there are some trusting people out there........

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »

blimey £2k on top!  Wouldn't bother with that mate, just say sorry, it's £2k cheaper!

Hope it's not too hot on holiday, should have taken the van Cheesy

RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »

Usually when someone makes an offer, you get them to bid that amount and then go through the end the listing early process on ebay. This way it will either outbid any existing bidders, or push the price above what they have offered and you can let it run to a higher price.

As for your insurance policy... what will happen if it sells for £13,000 say and so you are going to sell it to the guy who has given you the deposit, you will have an ebayer who is exepcting your van for £13k and will have to tell him no and this could cause a lot of aggro.

If you really want to let the auction run, I would tell the guy who has sent the deposit that you have changed your mind and that he is welcome to still bid and you will send say £5,500 back for his trouble if he doesn't win. I wouldn't bother with this giving him £1000s!!!

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »

tell the guy who has sent the deposit that you have changed your mind

Never.

The older I get, the better I was.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »

tell the guy who has sent the deposit that you have changed your mind

Never.

indeed...you've made a deal..stick to it.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2007, 11:21:38 AM »

the whole thing stinks mate.
this split the profits business is similar to a way that traders make money at live auctions and very much illegal.

Either get the 15k and pull the listing or give him his 5k back, with the first being the best option.

i've been done on ebay for a couple of expensive items and it sucks, i have bad feedback because someone welched on a deal and i bought other things on the back of that sale.

ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

thanks all for your concerns this is why i put it up to see if it sounds dodggy but the guy got nothing to gain only lose,,,he put £5k in my account i can see it there on online banking,,i go away for a week and then come home,i make sure the
£5k deposit is still in there and then he comes down to pick up item and weigh in the rest,,he really seems genuine as they all do lol,,,,im sure 100% its ok ,,i will let you know...thnx

he can still cancel the bank transfer and it can take upto 1 month to show on your account

Thats not the case, once a chaps payment is in your account it is your cash, End of. The only thing he oculd do would be to approach his bank te request a recall of funds, your bank would then write to you for debit authority which of course you wouldnt give.

Best QM ever

FACT !
erdnase2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »

thanks all for your concerns this is why i put it up to see if it sounds dodggy but the guy got nothing to gain only lose,,,he put £5k in my account i can see it there on online banking,,i go away for a week and then come home,i make sure the
£5k deposit is still in there and then he comes down to pick up item and weigh in the rest,,he really seems genuine as they all do lol,,,,im sure 100% its ok ,,i will let you know...thnx

he can still cancel the bank transfer and it can take upto 1 month to show on your account

Thats not the case, once a chaps payment is in your account it is your cash, End of. The only thing he oculd do would be to approach his bank te request a recall of funds, your bank would then write to you for debit authority which of course you wouldnt give.

I'm not sure what a CHAPS payment is, MrAlex, but cheques can bounce long after the money shows as "cleared" in your account. The common scam used (still is) for me to bid on a £10k on something, and due to paperwork/circumstances/"insert-excuse-here", I'd send a cheque for £15k, asking you to refund the extra £5k once the cheque clears. The money shows up in your account, and you think there's no way you could be scammed as the cheque has really cleared.

Few weeks down the line, the bank cancels the cheque and demands their money back. If course, you don't have the money, or the car, and the buyer is long gone. I was shocked that something like that could really happen, especially if the money has cleared and is showing in your bank account. It's common and it goes on all the time. OP, the whole thing smells fishy, and if I were you, I'd get out. Forget all the "a deal's a deal" stuff.

Erd
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »

I'm not sure what a CHAPS payment is, MrAlex, but cheques can bounce long after the money shows as "cleared" in your account. The common scam used (still is) for me to bid on a £10k on something, and due to paperwork/circumstances/"insert-excuse-here", I'd send a cheque for £15k, asking you to refund the extra £5k once the cheque clears. The money shows up in your account, and you think there's no way you could be scammed as the cheque has really cleared.

Few weeks down the line, the bank cancels the cheque and demands their money back. If course, you don't have the money, or the car, and the buyer is long gone. I was shocked that something like that could really happen, especially if the money has cleared and is showing in your bank account. It's common and it goes on all the time. OP, the whole thing smells fishy, and if I were you, I'd get out. Forget all the "a deal's a deal" stuff.

Erd

A Chaps payment is an electronic same day transfer payment to another account. They are non-refundable and you have to have the funds in the account to make the payment.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: