blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Was there a better play, or is this non-gettoffable?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was there a better play, or is this non-gettoffable?  (Read 3337 times)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »

e d
Can I just say I'm not a fan of Skalie's call of your preflop raise, most of the time he'll face an unfavourable board OOP, some of the times he does hit a set you'll have missed with AK/AQ anyway, or will be looking at an Ace or King high board with QQ or JJ. If he hits his set he has to get your whole stack for it to be profitable, I just don't think that between 9/1 and 10/1 is enough for this.

This reply is also to Rookie, who makes essentially the same point.

Well, if you just confine your thinking to pot odds, yes, it's a horrendous call against me - of all people - with 4-4. But I believe he was thinking other things, naughty things. I mean, if he puts me on AK & it comes raggy taggy, he can get me off, in fact he probably thinks he can get me off anything with a stop & go. Which, as it fell, he did not need to, as he hit.

But if we confine our thoughts to him actually hitting his 4, yes, a bad call, but like I say, I believe he had mischief in his mind. Which is partly why I fell for his Push.

His hand is telegraphed already as mostly likely a medium pair though. Even if he check/calls you on a rag flop, you put another good bet on the turn he'll have to fold.

Well yes, but I see it MUCH wider than that.

He may just have had a Stop & Go in mind? He knows my game pretty well, we play Online together a fair bit, & he pretty much has my number as a grinder & bullet-dodger.

Your preflop raise however represents huge strength, a tight player raising an utg limper should send the vast majority of hands scurrying for the hills. I don't see why he would lead out here with any hand, knowing that you were going to bet, and if he did lead out, I'd raise to find out how strongly he thinks his Sevens or Eights are.

He may well lead out here, knowing I am likely to fold to strength with most hands. And , of course, he never put me on a hand as strong as A-A, & he reverted to Plan B when he hit his set.

Say he leads out for 2k or 2.5k, you make it 6k with AK. Is he going to put his whole tournament on the line with a medium pair against a tight player who has shown strength both preflop and and on the flop with an overcard there as well? If he pushes with a set and we have AA/KK, well nh, wp and gg. He can't really flat call our raise with a medium pair because he knows he might have to face more bets down the line and unless he spikes on the turn the board will most likely get nastier. If he pushes and we have AK, we pass, but he hasn't gained our full stack meaning his initial call was wrong in the first place. Even if he does flat-call, we'll see the river for free (or conceivably push turn) and could still luckbox out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:12:54 PM by NoflopsHomer » Logged

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »

hitting a 9-1 shot

wrong, it's 7.5-1

It's actually 12% or 8.3333-1 to flop a set...but for argument's sake let's just say it's unlikely.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »

you do realise that a 1 in 8.5 chance = 7.5-1 right?
skalie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 06:51:30 PM »

WOW its amazing how much people try to over analyse situations in this game. The fact is some things are unavoidable and this situation TIKAY did nothing wrong and I don't see how he gets away. And to be fair If I was as loose and some people think then people shouldn't be folding those hands too me. If every situation was avoidable then you would never lose a tourny.

Ok that said. here was my thinking.

Firstly I was a little on tilt cos prior to this hand someone had insisted I turn over my cards after I HAD MADE A CALL on someone else and then tried to muck my cards. This guy was not even in the hand.
Secondly the beer was starting to taste pretty good I was ready to gamble in order to try and kick on or get drunk. Its not that I wasn't taking the event seriously but the blinds were getting big and patience was not on my mind. I called purely to hit my set, sorry tikay, but I knew you could not get away after such a big bet if I hit the flop and indeed you did have a big over pair. However I didn't expect you to bet out holding AK AQ ect unless you'd hit.

Soon after I lost a monster pot (ak v JJ) which had I won would have given me more than enough chips to really open up. I do at times gamble to get, as Scotty N puts it, 'DANCING CHIPS'

As for playing the hand 44, I shouldn't even have limped UTG with it. I know I shouldn't have called Tonys raise, but the fact is we don't always do the right thing. I played badly Tony got unlucky. Simple really.
Sorry there is not a more sophisticated reason for the play.

SKAL

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 08:18:22 PM »

He may just have had a Stop & Go in mind? He knows my game pretty well, we play Online together a fair bit, & he pretty much has my number as a grinder & bullet-dodger.

how can he have a stop and go in mind when you are first to speak in every round of action?

He was UTG, I was mid-pos.

MISREAD!!! Cheesy

Apologies squire, saw the words AA and blinds next to each other and though you were in the blinds Sad

sponsored by Fyffes
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: