blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 1729 1730 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3611112 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25875 on: November 08, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

Das Boot.

I spent a couple of hours here yesterday. Oh God, how I love army surplus stores, and this one is a doozy.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/home.

I was going to buy a pair of British army infantry boots, but I tried one on and it felt like I was putting my foot into a bucket of spanners. No wonder the army marches on it's stomach.

They're getting a consignment of German paratrooper boots in next week. perhaps they will be better.

The older I get, the better I was.
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25876 on: November 08, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »

We've been invited to take part in the Cenotaph parade again this year, (Such an honour) so we're traveling down to London later today.

I wonder if we'll get a chance to see the poppies. Has anyone been? Is it so busy as to make it a misery?

Was absolutely jammed when I passed last week. Early morning best time if you can.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25877 on: November 08, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »

Berlin last night

25 years on, a line of lights re-creates the Berlin wall

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25878 on: November 08, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

We've been invited to take part in the Cenotaph parade again this year, (Such an honour) so we're traveling down to London later today.

I wonder if we'll get a chance to see the poppies. Has anyone been? Is it so busy as to make it a misery?

Was absolutely jammed when I passed last week. Early morning best time if you can.

Cheers Mr T. Can't do early tomorrow though, we have to be down Whitehall at sparrow fart so that we can get our credentials examined before the RSM's whip us all into the correct formation.

All you is fit for, is to ponce a bout.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25879 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »

Berlin last night

25 years on, a line of lights re-creates the Berlin wall

We visited Berlin a couple of years ago, It's a wonderful city. A double row of cobble stones, which runs unbroken even by new buildings, mark where the wall used to stand.

Checkpoint Charlie is also preserved for prosperity. It's really worth seeing.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25880 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »

Spent some time looking into motorcycle wet weather gear yesterday too,which reminds me to ask how booder is progressing and wonder if he has any advice on the subject?

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #25881 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »

Das Boot.

I spent a couple of hours here yesterday. Oh God, how I love army surplus stores, and this one is a doozy.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/home.

I was going to buy a pair of British army infantry boots, but I tried one on and it felt like I was putting my foot into a bucket of spanners. No wonder the army marches on it's stomach.

They're getting a consignment of German paratrooper boots in next week. perhaps they will be better.

The German Paratrooper boots are very popular with the Bush Craft lot - just best to get them from a place with a lot to try on - think they do different widths as well as sizing.

Best boots I've ever had are Altbergs http://www.altberg.co.uk/, not cheap by any means - but really comfortable - they recommend you go see them so they can get your foot size perfect... they also do old fashioned motorcycle boots.

One on my 'one day, if I come into a lot of cash list' are the old fashioned herd's boots, or fell boots they're sometimes called:

Nosebleed price stakes to me though http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/268r-hill-boots.html

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #25882 on: November 08, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »

If anyone is interested India, or just fancies watching a beautifully observed gentle comedy for a couple of hours, there is a film on channel 4 at 9pm called 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.

I can guarantee  that at least 10% of the people on this forum will absolutely love it.
I really liked that film.

The_nun

View Profile
« Reply #25883 on: November 08, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »

I shall be watching with eagle eyes tomorrow.

The_nun

View Profile
« Reply #25884 on: November 08, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »

For what reason did police men stop the folk on bikes Tom?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25885 on: November 08, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »

For what reason did police men stop the folk on bikes Tom?

To take money from them. I noticed that they also 'taxed' beggars too.

We saw one guy in a market square, apparently crippled, pulling himself along inch by inch on a kind of home made over sized skateboard. I put a 100 rupee (£1) note into his begging bowl. A few moments later, a police man picked up the bowl, took the note and replaced it with a 50 rupee one.

Both parties seemed comfortable with the arrangement.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:59:12 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The_nun

View Profile
« Reply #25886 on: November 08, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

Good grief.

The_nun

View Profile
« Reply #25887 on: November 08, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »

How long was your trip? Also I know you said you hired a driver but did you sleep in the same area or where ever you chose to stop?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25888 on: November 08, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

How long was your trip? Also I know you said you hired a driver but did you sleep in the same area or where ever you chose to stop?

10 days. We had a string of pre-booked hotels and we spent just one or two nights in each.

Knowing what I know now, I would have stayed for a month. Transport, accommodation and food is incredibly cheap, and English is widely spoken.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25889 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

While I was on the hotel roof, I spotted a McDonald's in the distance. I told Mrs Red about it and we decided to go and check it out.

Crossing the road is virtually impossible if you don't know how to do it. The traffic never stops. Fortunately, we had been chatting to a well traveled Australian Sheela over breakfast and she explained the technique.

"Just step right out in to the road" She advised. "Then keep going until you reach the other side. The drivers will calculate your trajectory and altered their speed so as to pass in front of, or behind you".

"What ever you do" She grabbed our forearms over the table and warned us with absolute solemnity, "don't change speed or direction once you've started because the buggers will run straight over you".

We put her advice to the test. It felt suicidal and went against all out instincts but it worked like a charm. Everything missed us, sometimes only by a fraction, but it missed us. Mrs Red screamed all the way, and tried to stop altogether when a truck carrying a year's supply of the world's smelliest, most unrecognizable vegetables seemed destined to flatten us. But I had a hold of her hand and I dragged her across.

Truth be told, I screamed a little bit too .

Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 1729 1730 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: