blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2028 2029 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 2035 2036 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3604805 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #30465 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »

Definitely goldfinches today and they seem to be in pairs - such beautiful little birds.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30466 on: June 04, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »

Definitely goldfinches today and they seem to be in pairs - such beautiful little birds.

Lovely.

In winter they are often seen in bigger groups collectively known as a charm of goldfinches.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30467 on: June 04, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »

This video of John Noakes climbing Nelson’s Column popped up on my fb page today. There’s quite a debate about Health & Safety but watching it again was compelling.

https://www.facebook.com/100865096953196/posts/806010613105304?s=771157725&v=e&sfns=mo

Noakes risked his life every other show Dave, but back then we just assumed that if it was on the telly it must be OK.

Presenters were allowed to get killed, but they couldn't drop their aitches.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #30468 on: June 04, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »

This video of John Noakes climbing Nelson’s Column popped up on my fb page today. There’s quite a debate about Health & Safety but watching it again was compelling.

https://www.facebook.com/100865096953196/posts/806010613105304?s=771157725&v=e&sfns=mo

Noakes risked his life every other show Dave, but back then we just assumed that if it was on the telly it must be OK.

Presenters were allowed to get killed, but they couldn't drop their aitches.

The contrast between his ‘voice over’ voice on this compared to his voice in the action is amazing

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30469 on: June 04, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »

I suppose overall health and safety is a good thing but it's squeezed all the fun out of a lot of stuff.

When I was a boy we used to walk on the railway lines, swim in the reservoirs, follow the combined harvester with a whippet waiting for rabbits to bolt, search the golf course for lost balls and sell them to the players, go shooting with catapults and air rifles, and help ourselves to a drop of milk from a churn at the end of a farm lane.

Do you remember these David?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #30470 on: June 04, 2019, 01:08:51 PM »

No googling

What is the most numerous bird in the world?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30471 on: June 04, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »

No googling

Pretty sure anyone who watched Attenborough's "Life of Birds" won't need google for that.

Here's a clue;

Here's another clue - it's not an elephant.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #30472 on: June 04, 2019, 01:17:53 PM »

No googling

Rachel Riley?
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #30473 on: June 04, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »

I suppose overall health and safety is a good thing but it's squeezed all the fun out of a lot of stuff.

When I was a boy we used to walk on the railway lines, swim in the reservoirs, follow the combined harvester with a whippet waiting for rabbits to bolt, search the golf course for lost balls and sell them to the players, go shooting with catapults and air rifles, and help ourselves to a drop of milk from a churn at the end of a farm lane.

I remember them all well Tom but you forgot birds nesting ( before it was banned)

I remember once going into an old farmer/taxidermist kitchen and he was just cracking 8 pheasant eggs and 4 partridge eggs into a frying pan

My father requested I took all waterhen eggs back for him to eat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30474 on: June 04, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »

I remember them all well Tom but you forgot birds nesting ( before it was banned)

I remember once going into an old farmer/taxidermist kitchen and he was just cracking 8 pheasant eggs and 4 partridge eggs into a frying pan

I've got to say I've never eaten a waterhen's egg Trev, but I probably wouldn't like them cos I don't like duck eggs.

We used to make little tin-can braziers to fry eggs on.

In the winter we made them with long wire handles over the top so we could carry them with us. They would smoulder merilly away until you swung them around your head and then the air rushing through would make them burn like crazy. We used to call them winter warmers.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30475 on: June 04, 2019, 02:09:30 PM »

No googling

Pretty sure anyone who watched Attenborough's "Life of Birds" won't need google for that.

Here's a clue;

Here's another clue - it's not an elephant.

I know everything about this bird, except what it's called.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #30476 on: June 04, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »

red billed quella (sp?)

and it isn't the right answer....
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30477 on: June 04, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »

red billed quella (sp?)

Yeah, that's it.

...isn't it?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #30478 on: June 04, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »

I've got to say I've never eaten a waterhen's egg Trev, but I probably wouldn't like them cos I don't like duck eggs.

We used to make little tin-can braziers to fry eggs on.

In the winter we made them with long wire handles over the top so we could carry them with us. They would smoulder merilly away until you swung them around your head and then the air rushing through would make them burn like crazy. We used to call them winter warmers.

I was told that an old ayrshire saying indicating that you didn't think much of someone was "I would'nay show him last year's bird's nest"

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #30479 on: June 04, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »

red billed quella (sp?)

Yeah, that's it.

...isn't it?

no
Pages: 1 ... 2028 2029 2030 2031 [2032] 2033 2034 2035 2036 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: