blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2055 2056 2057 2058 [2059] 2060 2061 2062 2063 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3586874 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30870 on: August 09, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »

Yes, I learned about rose hip the hard way. (You didn't happen to be part of a gang that roamed the streets rubbing rose hips on to small boys during the early 60s did you Trev?)

Did you ever make pea shooters from cow parsley stalks and use hawthorn berries for ammo?

Use to creep up and put the itching powder down the back of peoples shirts obviously I would end up with itching back as well

Pea shooter, we would make them out of old elderflower branches

Talking of old Eldflower branches, you could also take the middle out, stick a match to it, get it smouldering and pretend you were smoking

LOL. We could have been brothers in another life Trev.

Back in the day Gypsy men would make flower heads from elder then dye them and mount them on privet stalks for the women to hawk.

Here's a pic of my daughter Bridie presenting a bunch to some dignitary or other in 03.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30871 on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

We were in Poland last week to attend a ceremony marking the 75th anniversary of the liquidation of the Gypsy camp in Auschwitz.

10 years ago we were the only ones there but this year it was packed.

Below is a picture of the floral tributes sent by various organisations and governments, but the traditional ones made from tissue paper by Mrs Red still got pride of place.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30872 on: August 09, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »

The dogs do this every day in sticky-bud season.
I don't have the heart to stop them.

Wow I thought my wee mutt was bad for them Cheesy She usually finishes the summer looking like she's had a haircut from a blind man, as they get so matted in that  patches need trimmed out.

As for rose-hips my Dad had us out picking them for Mum to make rose hip syrup, soon learned about the itching powder properties Cheesy

Didn't make peashooters like you though, there was an aluminium extrusion factory in town so everyone tried to nick suitable tubes Cheesy

Lol Rod, you're another brother from another mother.

How old is that little dog of yours now BTW? It must be at least 4 or 5.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30873 on: August 09, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »

Mrs Red's memory is excellent and controllable, mine is just a good, but random, which is fun, but not as useful.

Anyway, I am reliably informed that the dignitaries pictured above were the Queen's Lord Lieutenant and his wife.  

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30874 on: August 09, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »

Fab photos, RedDog. You and your family must feel privileged to get to be part of these occasions, even if the circumstances of them aren't pleasant. 

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30875 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »

Fab photos, RedDog. You and your family must feel privileged to get to be part of these occasions, even if the circumstances of them aren't pleasant. 

Thank you Mr T.

This is in no way a criticism, and you being you, I know you wont mind me taking this opportunity to make a point.

Of course we are very privileged to take part, but it is worth remembering that it was we, the Gypsies who campaigned long and hard for what happened to be officially recognised.

It was us who invited the rest of the world to attend, not the other way around.

xx

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30876 on: August 09, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »

I feel terrible now. Please say you don't mind.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30877 on: August 09, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »

Thank you Mr T.

This is in no way a criticism, and you being you, I know you wont mind me taking this opportunity to make a point.

Of course we are very privileged to take part, but it is worth remembering that it was we, the Gypsies who campaigned long and hard for what happened to be officially recognised.

It was us who invited the rest of the world to attend, not the other way around.

xx

That's quite a leap from what I meant, which is a bit annoying. But I understand how strongly you feel about the subject, so I don't take any offence.

I will try again, for the avoidance of doubt and so as to be clear I was neither ignorant nor patronising: I was referring to you personally and your family, for whom these experiences and memories - however they were derived - will be unforgettable and proud moments to share with future generations, long after you have gone.

I had read you sharing these photos and stories because of pride. I think I'm still right on that front. You can certainly correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Again, no offence taken.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30878 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »

Thank you Mr T.

xx

That's quite a leap from what I meant, which is a bit annoying. But I understand how strongly you feel about the subject, so I don't take any offence.

I will try again, for the avoidance of doubt and so as to be clear I was neither ignorant nor patronising: I was referring to you personally and your family, for whom these experiences and memories - however they were derived - will be unforgettable and proud moments to share with future generations, long after you have gone.

I had read you sharing these photos and stories because of pride. I think I'm still right on that front. You can certainly correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Again, no offence taken.

I understood perfectly well what you meant and I selfishly used your nice and well intentioned post to make a point, not to you, but to the public in general.

It was a mistake. I knew it the moment I posted. Please accept my apologies. 

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30879 on: August 09, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »

Thank you Mr T.

xx

Again, no offence taken.

I understood perfectly well what you meant and I selfishly used your nice and well intentioned post to make a point, not to you, but to the public in general.

It was a mistake. I knew it the moment I posted. Please accept my apologies. 

All good.

thumbs up

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #30880 on: August 09, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »

Those tissue flowers made by Mrs Red are amazing!!!
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #30881 on: August 09, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »

Very talented indeed

But no doubt Tom told her how to make them!!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #30882 on: August 09, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »

Very talented indeed

I remember Tom's mum* telling me that she used to make them and seeing Bridie at that age suggests that she might have made those too.

*mam

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30883 on: August 09, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »

Very talented indeed

When I said those flowers were made of tissue I neglected to say it was toiled tissue, which works best because of the way it's layered.

It would also be the most appropriate for where she would stick them if I tried to tell her how to make them.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30884 on: August 09, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »

Very talented indeed

I remember Tom's mum* telling me that she used to make them and seeing Bridie at that age suggests that she might have made those too.

*mam

The ones Bridie presented were wooden flowers and were traditionally made by the men. Paper flowers were made by the women.

Pages: 1 ... 2055 2056 2057 2058 [2059] 2060 2061 2062 2063 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: