blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 2076 2077 ... 2341 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3603315 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31080 on: September 05, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

Nice kids too.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #31081 on: September 05, 2019, 07:47:42 PM »

Is it just me or does this crap happen to everyone?

Not just you,I thought it was just me that had this kinda crap!

Lol. Nothing is straightforward is it?

To be honest though, although I like to have a moan it doesn't bother me in the least.

First world problems and all that.

It’s not just you, but that job would have been abandoned or adapted once it got to the point of having to chop the old board into pieces so it could be removed.
If I managed to get past the point of drilling out a grub screw.

The Iveco refused to start a week or two back. It’s a longish story because it starts with the indicators not working. I had left the keys in the ignition after I had found the indicator unit and replaced it. (£220 for a new one, £24 for a used one from my local friendly breaker) when I tried to start it, nothing happened. I exhausted my knowledge of truck electrics/mechanics pretty quickly. I charged the batteries but that didn’t help. Turning the key just resulted in very quiet clicks from the relay. Had I damaged something whilst swapping the indicator unit? Had the batteries being run down damaged the ECU? They had only dropped to 12.0v so that felt unlikely.

Nope, by coincidence the signal wire to the starter motor had failed. A new one was run alongside the loom and cable-tied neatly in place and all is currently good.
Till the next bit breaks.

PS - I didn’t work all that out on my own. I called out a mechanic who identified the fault and fixed it. But I watched and talked to him and although I am not kitted out to do a lot of what he did, I did learn stuff that will no doubt be useful next time there’s an issue.

Not easy for laymen like you or me to identify a fault like that David. Be in no doubt though, you will benefit from watching and asking questions rather than going indoors and leaving him to it.

Absolutely. I’ve learnt a huge amount over the last two and a half years, from watching people in the flesh, and from YouTube. But I wish I could find a workshop manual for for a 1995 75e15. Maybe then I could learn a bit more.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31082 on: September 05, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »

To be honest though, although I like to have a moan it doesn't bother me in the least.

It’s not just you, but that job would have been abandoned or adapted once it got to the point of having to chop the old board into pieces so it could be removed.

The Iveco refused to start a week or two back. It’s a longish story because it starts with the indicators not working. I had left the keys in the ignition after I had found the indicator unit and replaced it. (£220 for a new one, £24 for a used one from my local friendly breaker) when I tried to start it, nothing happened. I exhausted my knowledge of truck electrics/mechanics pretty quickly. I charged the batteries but that didn’t help. Turning the key just resulted in very quiet clicks from the relay. Had I damaged something whilst swapping the indicator unit? Had the batteries being run down damaged the ECU? They had only dropped to 12.0v so that felt unlikely.

Nope, by coincidence the signal wire to the starter motor had failed. A new one was run alongside the loom and cable-tied neatly in place and all is currently good.

PS - I didn’t work all that out on my own. I called out a mechanic who identified the fault and fixed it. But I watched and talked to him and although I am not kitted out to do a lot of what he did, I did learn stuff that will no doubt be useful next time there’s an issue.

Not easy for laymen like you or me to identify a fault like that David. Be in no doubt though, you will benefit from watching and asking questions rather than going indoors and leaving him to it.

Absolutely. I’ve learnt a huge amount over the last two and a half years, from watching people in the flesh, and from YouTube. But I wish I could find a workshop manual for for a 1995 75e15. Maybe then I could learn a bit more.

A workshop manual is worth it's weight in gold. Was one ever produced Dave?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31083 on: September 05, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »

Yup.

I admire all of the Royal Family, what shit jobs they all have, but I've got nothing on Gill who reads every written word about them & watches all the Royal Family stuff on TV. She's a particular fan of Princess Meghan, or whatever her name is. I dare not tell her about Katie Hopkins, who I saw described today as Hatie Cockpins.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31084 on: September 05, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »

I tried to take an outside tap apart the other week as it was dripping.  I figured that it was a washer one rather than a cartridge.  So having briefed myself on youtube of the various issues, I then had a similar issue to you with one screwhead, caused by a mixture of age, rust and bad screwdriver technique.    It didn't help that it was a ridiculously hot day.

Eventually sweaty and defeated, I just unscrewed the whole tap from the pipe and went to screwfix to get a new one

Think it was less than a fiver for the whole damn tap assembly, and a couple of quid for enough tape for several taps.   In twenty years time when it goes again, I need to remember this.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #31085 on: September 05, 2019, 08:09:29 PM »

Yup.

I admire all of the Royal Family, what shit jobs they all have, but I've got nothing on Gill who reads every written word about them & watches all the Royal Family stuff on TV. She's a particular fan of Princess Meghan, or whatever her name is. I dare not tell her about Katie Hopkins, who I saw described today as Hatie Cockpins.

I'm sure the Reverend Spooner would approve.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31086 on: September 05, 2019, 08:46:51 PM »

I tried to take an outside tap apart the other week as it was dripping.  I figured that it was a washer one rather than a cartridge.  So having briefed myself on youtube of the various issues, I then had a similar issue to you with one screwhead, caused by a mixture of age, rust and bad screwdriver technique.    It didn't help that it was a ridiculously hot day.

Eventually sweaty and defeated, I just unscrewed the whole tap from the pipe and went to screwfix to get a new one

Think it was less than a fiver for the whole damn tap assembly, and a couple of quid for enough tape for several taps.   In twenty years time when it goes again, I need to remember this.

Amazingly, I had a similar problem and used the same solution.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31087 on: September 05, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »

Blimey! That's 5 years ago.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31088 on: September 05, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »

By their very nature, and like their namesake, grub-screws live down holes with their heads below the surface, there is no way to get a hold of them so I had to drill it out.

Always a bugger to use a drill flush to a wall,invariably drill at an angle.You did good.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31089 on: September 05, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »

By their very nature, and like their namesake, grub-screws live down holes with their heads below the surface, there is no way to get a hold of them so I had to drill it out.

Always a bugger to use a drill flush to a wall,invariably drill at an angle.You did good.

Yeah Boo, I did have to drill at a bit of an angle and because I obviously didn't want to drill the threads out I had to use a thinner bit to allow for the off-kilter hole.

On the plus side the grub-screw was made of brass so it was easy to drill and the husk that was left behind after the bit had passed through was soft enough to coax out of the threads using an old dart as a probe come lever.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31090 on: September 05, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »

Here, slightly out of focus is the husk of the grub-screw with it's off-kilter hole.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #31091 on: September 05, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »

A workshop manual is worth it's weight in gold. Was one ever produced Dave?

I believe so. At least, there have been rumours of it’s existence. Some people even claim to own one.
Download sites promise much, but deliver nowt.

Somewhere, possibly in a small moorland village sits an old wizened mechanic with an eidetic memory, sadly he is unable to speak and the arthritis in his hands renders him incapable of writing or drawing. Someday we shall find him and restore his voice and dexterity. “Produce the workshop manual for an Iveco 75e15” we’ll ask. He will laugh hysterically and say “Fools, no such book exists” or something.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31092 on: September 06, 2019, 05:23:21 AM »

Can't sleep. Been awake since 2pm so got up, made a cup of tea and put the telly on.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31093 on: September 06, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

Now I can sleep.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31094 on: September 06, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »

Now I'm tired out and cranky. What obstreperous things people are.

Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 2071 2072 [2073] 2074 2075 2076 2077 ... 2341 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: