blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:53:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 1554 1555 [1556] 1557 1558 1559 1560 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610776 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23325 on: October 06, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »

Why can't you believe this? Gambling is regulated by a professional body but also has Laws of the land that apply to it.  So when on foreign soil one must abide by the laws of the land and respect the due process.. It's called "Legem terrae" if my memory serves me correctly...  

Read my post again Mr B. What I said was, "I can't believe they would do it without warning".

The older I get, the better I was.
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #23326 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »

Why can't you believe this? Gambling is regulated by a professional body but also has Laws of the land that apply to it.  So when on foreign soil one must abide by the laws of the land and respect the due process.. It's called "Legem terrae" if my memory serves me correctly...  

Read my post again Mr B. What I said was, "I can't believe they would do it without warning".

I did...  Smiley Just thought I'd put some of the Law to use anyway, it's wasted otherwise ...

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #23327 on: October 06, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »

So is Religion taught in a comparative way or biased way in British schools...? In the U.S it was very biased, as was history...

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23328 on: October 06, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »

So is Religion taught in a comparative way or biased way in British schools...? In the U.S it was very biased, as was history...

I wanted to mention the US in the op but I thought the way I presented the question was confusing enough to begin with.

BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #23329 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »

In all seriousness, I would expect the National Curriculum still exists and the Local Authority would then have its own say on application and interpretation.

Some schools obviously are faith-based. I think it would make much less sense if they were obliged to present it as "this might be true or it could all be make believe"

They don't 'have' to, and like I said I'm sure some manage to teach to the national curriculum whilst still skewing their subjectivity in to it.

But,  for example, I taught in a catholic school as part of a teacher training course - they started registration times and assemblies with a prayer; but they still taught an objective religious studies curriculum. My niece's go to a faith school as well and they're similar. I would 'expect' most faith schools follow the same model - although that's only an educated guess; I haven't really got any firm evidence for it.

EDIT: and as celtic just put - it might have changed over time

Wasn't it a case that 90% of Schools in the U.K started assembly with a prayer in the mid eighties? The statistic comes from a report I read on the boom of faith schools in the late 90's can't seem to find it online.

Also there's an argument for race based schools, but not sure if this is the correct blog to start that...

Personally I would like religion to be taught in a comparative way in schools and history to be taught in the same way too...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:09:21 PM by BangBang » Logged

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23330 on: October 06, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

Lips Sealed

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23331 on: October 06, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »

Lips Sealed

Lol.

I wasn't taking sides BTW, I was just wondering if they taught religion as fact.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #23332 on: October 06, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »

Is the big-bang theory and evolution taught alongside religious studies?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #23333 on: October 07, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »

This diary has been dead as a doornail for ages, I'm out of the country for a week and BOOM! it's all going on.

Really enjoyed the last half a dozen pages, lots of interesting topics (except the nuclear stuff, it makes my brains melt. No pun intended.)

@Jon MW, How was the Opera?

On the religion in school topic, my kids have been to both Catholic and C of E primary schools.

Both teach the Bible and God as fact, and worship is a key part of the curriculum, with morning assembly's, daily R.E. lessons, lots of emphasis on Easter etc and plenty of interaction with the local church such as weekly visits from the Reverend / Nuns and extra curricular activities such as 'Diosing' choir or simple plays performed in church by the children.

I have never seen any suggestion that there might not be a God in any of the many primary schools I have attended or when I help out in my children's schools, although nowadays most  teach the kids that some people believe in different Gods and have different ways of worshiping,  Mine have visited Sikh and Hindu temples and have taught me lots about Divali and Hanuka and such.

I find the teachers seem to be a bit vague about the theory of evolution, although they always have dinosaurs as a topic but they teach this alongside Adam and Eve so I would like to know how they get round that one!
I suppose 4 to 11 year olds just take things at face value, and that's okay with me.
They have years ahead of them for contemplating life and the cosmos, and all the crap that goes with it.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #23334 on: October 07, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

This diary has been dead as a doornail for ages, I'm out of the country for a week and BOOM! it's all going on.

Really enjoyed the last half a dozen pages, lots of interesting topics (except the nuclear stuff, it makes my brains melt. No pun intended.)

In general I wasn't really expecting it to change my point of view, I knew I'd like the music (particularly from the cheap seats which apparently is where the best acoustics filter up to) but it turns out that I really got in to the story as well.

So to my surprise I now think that opera is a perfectly good story telling narrative as well as just good tunes.

Despite being really good, there was a bit of poncey opera stuff - at a couple of points people laughed because it was 'meant' to be funny rather than because it actually was, and at the beginning the conductor got a standing ovation just for turning up (!?). They also banned any photography inside any part of the building, which seems excessive outside of the performance and the auditorium.

Click to see full-size image.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #23335 on: October 07, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

In general I wasn't really expecting it to change my point of view, I knew I'd like the music (particularly from the cheap seats which apparently is where the best acoustics filter up to) but it turns out that I really got in to the story as well.

So to my surprise I now think that opera is a perfectly good story telling narrative as well as just good tunes.

Despite being really good, there was a bit of poncey opera stuff - at a couple of points people laughed because it was 'meant' to be funny rather than because it actually was, and at the beginning the conductor got a standing ovation just for turning up (!?). They also banned any photography inside any part of the building, which seems excessive outside of the performance and the auditorium.

Great report Jon, glad you enjoyed it. Just a couple of questions...
Which Opera did you see?
What about the audience, was it all black tie and evening dresses?
How did you find the atmosphere of the whole thing, and were you transfixed or merely diverted?

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23336 on: October 07, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Is the big-bang theory and evolution taught alongside religious studies?
Science and Religion shouldn't be taught in schools together, as they quite clearly contradict each other. I'm firmly in the Science camp. Study of religions which leads to an understanding of how different faiths work, I don't have a problem with.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23337 on: October 08, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »

Cliffs from last week.

Before she went for her op, I removed the wedding ring from Mrs Red's finger. It was exactly 36 years to the day since I put it on there.

A few hours later, I put it on again.  Smiley

Leicester police had a gun amnesty. "Bring in your illegal firearms, no questions asked" they said, so I did, and they grilled me like a kipper.

I went for some acupuncture. A lady told me to remove my trousers and lie on my belly. Then she stuck 8 needles into my left buttock, brought me a hot drink and left me alone for half an hour. When she returned she said "Oh, you didn't drink your coffee". I was tempted to ask her how the Hell I was supposed to drink coffee while lying on my belly with with 8 needles in my arse, but I thought better of it.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #23338 on: October 08, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »

Great report Jon, glad you enjoyed it. Just a couple of questions...
Which Opera did you see?
What about the audience, was it all black tie and evening dresses?
How did you find the atmosphere of the whole thing, and were you transfixed or merely diverted?

Cosi fan Tutte - which is a great start when you read about it beforehand and it gets described as, "Mozarts least liked opera". But that's not because of quality its because of controversy. The plot is basically that 2 soldiers boast about their partners love and fidelity - their older, cynical friend bets them he can prove they're just like all women (i.e. not loving and faithful after all) and in the end he wins his bet. There's a convincing argument that it's a bit misogynist - but on the other hand, it doesn't treat men as being too nice either.

The audience were definitely on the smart side, the 'least' on show was 'smart casual' (tending to be the men) and the women tended to be in the outright 'smart' side. I didn't see any dinner jackets being worn but I was in the cheapest seats so there might have been some further up the scale Cheesy

To start with it was merely diverting - but probably only the first couple of scenes, which also had the couple of occasions where poor 18th century jokes still get laughed at; but it very quickly became transfixed. That was what I suggested was the surprise as I expected it to be no different to just listening to the music and being 'quite good', I was really disappointed at the intermission for example, and really eager for it to get back under way.

The photo I left in the quote is technically of part of the Lincoln Center rather than the opera. But the water and reflections gives it so much symmetry that I couldn't help but sneak it in. Henry Moore sculpture btw.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23339 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »

I've never been to an opera Jon, but your insight has intrigued me so I've added it to the bucket list. The trouble is, my list is letting longer but my bucket is getting smaller.

Henry Moore. I never did 'get' his stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 1554 1555 [1556] 1557 1558 1559 1560 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: