blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2118 2119 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 2125 2126 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587659 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31815 on: November 03, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »

I dislocated it 6&1/2 days after having it fitted. Apparently they are vulnerable until you rebuild the muscles and tendons.

The pain was excruciating,

I bow to the stories from the older guys about pancreatitis and dodgy eyes though. At a mere 65 I guess I have those things to look forward to.

Oi!! I'm 50 today, that makes me feel old enough!! 

Pancreatitis was caused by an overindulgent lifestyle and a touch of genetic bad luck.

Lol Rod. It's official, you're an old fogey.

Happy birthday.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #31816 on: November 03, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »

I'm totally fascinated by the actual physical and mechanical side of this. Indeed, until I read your poignant and inspirational post about the mental aspects I thought the mechanics would be the most interesting part.

How long does your battery pack last?
Do you have a plug socket on your body or is there a lead hanging out?
If you lost power, would your heart cope for a while on it's own?
Do you have a pulse as we know it?
Do you have a reflection?
Do you get fed up of silly questions?

[/quote]

Last one first, I'm loving extending my 15 mins of fame :-)

A lead from the implanted device exits through my abdomen - it's a bit off to the right. This lead connects to a controller that can't be adjusted on the age of device I have. I can wear that controller clipped on my belt (e.g when playing golf) or, most commonly in a manbag slung over my shoulder. The lead just kinds of exits between the shirt and trousers and into the manbag. The controller can then be powered 2 ways - when mobile it hooks up to 2 quite big batteries (also housed in the manbag) and they give something like 16 hours of power when new and over a couple of years go down to around 12 hours.

I have 4 sets of the 2 batteries and a charging station. You are supposed to take a spare pair of batteries and a spare controller with you all the time. I'm quite blase now and if I'm going to a local pub or local shops I don't religiously take spares with me - I have a spare set when I go to work and, eg when I went to Paris for a days business a few weeks ago I took all the spare batteries with me just in case of any delays.

At night you can plug the controller into a power module that is plugged in to the mains normally and has it's own battery power too. This also has a monitor that shows the rate of flow, the VAD speed etc. It's a continuous flow device running at 9400 rpm and so I have a barely perceptible pulse from the residual heart function I have. Initially I carried a letter round explaining the lack of pulse so if I had any issues and medics came along, they don't presume your dead just because there's no pulse.

I used to wonder about how long if it breaks down but never really checked - I did some googling and it's not uncommon for people with other serious issues to have the device switched off - apparently people die from between 1 and 26 hours once the machine is off.  If the controller breaks or anything stops working it alarms so notionally you can change the controller - swift detachment from the lead and re-attachment of the spare. I guess if the bit inside breaks down mechanically then things aren't going to go to well for you. When batteries are low an alarm sets off, on a handful of occasions I have got my timings wrong or forgotten to change batteries in the morning. Cue a load of beeping around midday and a swift departure from my desk to the car to change batteries, beeping all the way.

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31817 on: November 03, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »

Amazing.

I can wear that controller clipped on my belt (e.g when playing golf) or, most commonly in a manbag slung over my shoulder. The lead just kinds of exits between the shirt and trousers and into the manbag. The controller can then be powered 2 ways - when mobile it hooks up to 2 quite big batteries (also housed in the manbag)

Where do you put the batteries when golfing?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #31818 on: November 03, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »

Amazing.

I can wear that controller clipped on my belt (e.g when playing golf) or, most commonly in a manbag slung over my shoulder. The lead just kinds of exits between the shirt and trousers and into the manbag. The controller can then be powered 2 ways - when mobile it hooks up to 2 quite big batteries (also housed in the manbag)

Where do you put the batteries when golfing?

Imagine a gun slinger - I have 2 battery holders that also clip left and right of the belt and the leads from controller to batteries kind of trail around beneath the shirt

sola virtus nobilitat
engy

View Profile
« Reply #31819 on: November 03, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »

Fascinating reading, I love your attitude to it all as well nirvana
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31820 on: November 03, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »

Yep incredible attitude!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31821 on: November 03, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »

I just get more agog with everything he writes.

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #31822 on: November 03, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

Glen, do you still smoke cigarettes?
engy

View Profile
« Reply #31823 on: November 03, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »

Agog. What a word, used to work with a bloke who used to come up to you and say things like expunged, discombobulate, agog, what great words.
I used to have to go and look them up as I never knew what 90% of the word he said to me meant Smiley
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31824 on: November 03, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

Agog. What a word, used to work with a bloke who used to come up to you and say things like expunged, discombobulate, agog, what great words.
I used to have to go and look them up as I never knew what 90% of the word he said to me meant Smiley

I love words.

I can't wait to hear what I'm going to say next.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31825 on: November 03, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »

I often have to look words up but I always end up learning something other than just the basic information.

Ralph and Tal are great wordsmiths and regularly have me thumbing my virtual dictionary.

Tony's diary taught me that a train isn't the same as a locomotive and cement isn't the same as concrete.

Glen used the word 'Risible' in a reply to me a couple of years ago. I looked it up and I've been waiting for an excuse to use it in Tony's diary ever since.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31826 on: November 03, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

When, if ever, did you last have OXO as a drink?

They used to sell loads of it in the West Midlands Snooker Hall in Worksop and you could get it in most transport cafes. I used to have it regularly, it was great with a dash of pepper.

Sometimes we would have it as a snack with a slice of bread broken into it. 'OXO pobs' my Mam called it.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31827 on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:51 PM »

Speaking of wordsmiths, I'm going to miss old Bercow as speaker. He used to come out with some corkers.

I was looking for a pic of him and stumbled upon one if him and his wife.

Is she particularly tall or is he a bit vertically challenged?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31828 on: November 03, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »

Reminds me of one of the old circuit players. He pronounced his name 'Ronnie de Bollocks' but I've no idea how he spelled it.

He always had a some or other leggy blonde towering over him.

Tony will know his proper name. I think they went to Russia together and got arrested.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31829 on: November 03, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »

Speaking of wordsmiths, I'm going to miss old Bercow as speaker. He used to come out with some corkers.

I was looking for a pic of him and stumbled upon one if him and his wife.

Is she particularly tall or is he a bit vertically challenged?

The latter Tom, he is famously short. Think Celtic, plus a bit.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 2118 2119 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 2125 2126 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: