blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 2186 2187 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3598544 times)
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32730 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:55 PM »

Looking very well built and mature there Red.

Great compilation, one question though- Did Mrs Red hit the stones in the end?

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32731 on: September 16, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »

The second I stopped filming she knocked two off with one shot and the remaining one off with the next

She's a very capable thrower. My mate and I once got on the wrong side of her and had to do a runner. We jumped into my lorry and locked the doors.

Thinking he was safe my mate rolled the window down about six inches to shout abuse. He didn't get the words out before a large tomato, thrown from about 30 yards hit him squarely in the teeth.

The look of absolute shock on his face as he turned to me was priceless.

That was over 30 years ago and I'm still laughing about it as I write.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32732 on: September 16, 2020, 03:07:47 PM »

The second I stopped filming she knocked two off with one shot and the remaining one off with the next

She's a very capable thrower. My mate and I once got on the wrong side of her and had to do a runner. We jumped into my lorry and locked the doors.

Thinking he was safe my mate rolled the window down about six inches to shout abuse. He didn't get the words out before a large tomato, thrown from about 30 yards hit him squarely in the teeth.

I can just imagine it, sounds like my mom with a slipper Smiley

Many years ago i had an uncle (unfortunately died at 56 yo Sad ) who had an amazing ability for throwing stones. The distance he could throw was mind boggling. Anyway one day he was explaining to me that a big old blackbird had just flown in to this tree which was about 40 yards away and stood about 20 yards high. The tree was fully laden with leaves so you couldn't see anything other than a mass of green. He decided to throw a stone to disturb the bird. 5 seconds later the bird dropped out of the tree stone-cold dead. To this day it still I am still in awe.

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #32733 on: September 17, 2020, 04:10:41 AM »

Lovely photos Tom
Good to see you and Mrs Red out and about enjoying yourselves

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32734 on: September 17, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »

I can just imagine it, sounds like my mom with a slipper Smiley

Many years ago i had an uncle (unfortunately died at 56 yo Sad ) who had an amazing ability for throwing stones. The distance he could throw was mind boggling. Anyway one day he was explaining to me that a big old blackbird had just flown in to this tree which was about 40 yards away and stood about 20 yards high. The tree was fully laden with leaves so you couldn't see anything other than a mass of green. He decided to throw a stone to disturb the bird. 5 seconds later the bird dropped out of the tree stone-cold dead. To this day it still I am still in awe.

Great story Mr Bobblehat, it reminds me of a similar one. (I don't think Ive ever told anyone this, but they say confession is good for the soul)

When I was ten or eleven I was helping my dad to clear some scrap iron from an old bloke's cellar when I became the proud owner of an ancient Diana air rifle. The stock was dry and flaky with one or two woodworm holes and the breech and barrel were covered in rust but I was thrilled to bits with it.

On the way home I persuaded my dad to stop at Lakins Toys and Sporting Goods in Darnall and buy me a box of 500 177 calibre pellets. These cost about two shillings (10p) in the late 60s and so would probably have been in lieu of my week's wages.

After oiling the moving parts and cleaning the gun up as best I could I loaded a pellet aimed at a bean tin about three feet away and pulled the trigger.

Thwack! The bean tin rolled over a full revolution. The pellet didn't actually make a hole but it did make a very reasonable dent.

Several weeks and boxes of pellets later I had become quite a reasonable shot, despite the fact that the Diana was woefully underpowered and sans any form of sighting mechanism whatsoever.

Now, here comes the bad part.

One day I was sitting on a milk crate shooting at an invading army of three green plastic soldiers and some Dinky toys when I saw a blue tit fly into a bush way off in the distance. Without really thinking, I sighted down the side of the barrel, aimed a couple of feet above where the bird was to allow for the distance, and fired.

The bird flew away.

I thought no more of it until a couple of days later when I looked out of the trailer window and noticed a blue tit sitting on a strand of barbed wire. It seemed perfectly healthy and happy, except one of it's tiny match-stalk legs had been cleanly severed about half way up.

Everyone has done things they regret, me probably more than most, but that comes pretty high on my list. It still haunts me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:29:57 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32735 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »

Lovely photos Tom

Hi Craig. Great to hear from our Aisia correspondent.

Mrs Red & I have been on lockdown, (well shielding actually, I have a lung condition) for several months, so it was really great to get out and about again.

It looks like cases are on the rise again now though, so our freedom might be short lived.

Plenty to keep me busy at home though. It's hedge trimming time at the moment.

How are things in your corner of the globe?

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32736 on: September 17, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »

I priced a new rear tyre for my scooter - £65, or £105 fitted. Fek that for a game of soldiers.

Got a tyre off eBay for £4 plus £12 postage. Second hand but only done ~ 100 miles, still has the pimples on.

Fitted it myself with the help of a YouTube vid. Took me 2 hours but hey, I don't earn the equivalent of what I saved doing my day job.

I wish I had a motorcycle lift though, I'm too old for scrabbling about on the floor.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32737 on: September 17, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »

Something like this would do. I'll leave out my biggest stocking.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32738 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »

Something like this would do. I'll leave out my biggest stocking.

Surely a man of your calibre could make that?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32739 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »

I'm afraid not Bob.

My best effort would be to dig a hole to stand in and park the scooter next to it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32740 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:21 AM »

So I'm toying with the idea of riding to Bulgaria, Covid and other considerations permitting.

I would be aiming to spend about a month and use air B&B or cheap hotel accommodation, I might consider the odd basha depending on weather and circumstances.

These are the routes that Google has suggested. Input, advice, questions or comment of any kind welcome.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32741 on: September 17, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »

Will I need specific paperwork/permits/carnets for any of the countries in a post Brexit world?

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #32742 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

Lovely photos Tom

Mrs Red & I have been on lockdown, (well shielding actually, I have a lung condition) for several months, so it was really great to get out and about again.

It looks like cases are on the rise again now though, so our freedom might be short lived.

Hi Tom
Everything is fine in China.  After the initial outbreak of Covid and the strict measures of lockdown that were put in place fairly quickly here, we now seem to be living a fairly normal way of life.  Everything is back open except the borders so a lot of foreigners ( expats ) who didn’t come back in time are now locked out and cannot get back at this time. 
The closed borders are frustrating as I like to visit other parts of Asia  every few months for a few days get away , I’m very fortunate as it’s quite inexpensive to do so. This is now obviously not possible.
I was also looking forward to coming back at Xmas to see family and friends but this looks highly unlikely as I won’t be able to get back.
Let’s hope 2021 is a better year for everyone 

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32743 on: September 17, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »

Lovely photos Tom

Hi Tom
Everything is fine in China.  After the initial outbreak of Covid and the strict measures of lockdown that were put in place fairly quickly here, we now seem to be living a fairly normal way of life.  Everything is back open except the borders so a lot of foreigners ( expats ) who didn’t come back in time are now locked out and cannot get back at this time. 
The closed borders are frustrating as I like to visit other parts of Asia  every few months for a few days get away , I’m very fortunate as it’s quite inexpensive to do so. This is now obviously not possible.
I was also looking forward to coming back at Xmas to see family and friends but this looks highly unlikely as I won’t be able to get back.

Craig,

How is Micky Wernick these days? Not heard much about him recently.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #32744 on: September 17, 2020, 07:42:10 PM »

Lovely photos Tom

Hi Tom

Craig,

How is Micky Wernick these days? Not heard much about him recently.

Hi Tony
I don’t  know mate as I have not been in touch for years. I can’t believe  I have been out the Uk over 11 years now . Time flies and all that .
I was  actually wondering the same thing the other day.

Frankie Knight passed away recently which was very sad to learn of but he had been ill for a while

My Dad

Tony Bolto
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 2186 2187 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: