blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2199 2200 2201 2202 [2203] 2204 2205 2206 2207 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587815 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33030 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »

When these first came out I had them on toast every morning for about a year.

The older I get, the better I was.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #33031 on: February 08, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »

This is def food nostalgia day.  I think the last time I had those was about 45 years ago, in a b+b in Arrochar, cooked on a camping stove.  My friends had gone home early and I intended to climb to about 1000 feet and put up the tent to wake up to a great view and then go for a long walk in the hills.  It was a sunny day, but it being autumn, the temperature pretty much plummeted in the evening, so I had second thoughts and booked into the b+b.  They had no kitchen service, so the sausages and beans were cracked open and on to the stove.

I assume this is the one, as the attic room windows seem familiar but it now describes itself as "boutique". 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33032 on: February 09, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

As a follow up, this fella features quite a bit in the film, and has just resigned. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/09/eddie-mcguire-collingwood-football-club-president-systemic-racism-report

I just checked and there is 5 months left on iplayer.  I previously said there were only a few days left, but it must have had 6 months left previously and not 6 months from the screening date.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #33033 on: February 09, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »

Fray Bentos used to do a boil in the can steak and kidney pudding. I remember my granny used to occasionally do one for her dinner and she would always give me a taste on the end of a knife. (She ate off a flat bladed, flexible knife, a habit I picked up)

Obviously I took no real notice back then, but I can't remember her piercing it before boiling.

I tried to google it but it's difficult because it's been superseded by a modern version.

I had a friend who's go to meal was a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding with a tin of new potatoes and marrowfat peas and they kept a tin opener about 4 inches long and an inch wide and one end used to punch a triangle shaped hole in the tins which they said was especially for this job. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw one of these type of tin openers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:11:42 AM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33034 on: February 09, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

As a follow up, this fella features quite a bit in the film, and has just resigned. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/09/eddie-mcguire-collingwood-football-club-president-systemic-racism-report

I just checked and there is 5 months left on iplayer.  I previously said there were only a few days left, but it must have had 6 months left previously and not 6 months from the screening date.

I will check this out today Doobs although I have to admit, if it's a racism story I will struggle to watch it.

I used to consume that sort of thing alosg with all the other tough subjects, like cuelty, abuse, poverty, genocide etc, not because I liked it, but because I thought it was my duty to know and not turn a blind eye.

I'm finding it hard lately though, I suppose they just wore me down.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33035 on: February 09, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »

Fray Bentos used to do a boil in the can steak and kidney pudding. I remember my granny used to occasionally do one for her dinner and she would always give me a taste on the end of a knife. (She ate off a flat bladed, flexible knife, a habit I picked up)

Obviously I took no real notice back then, but I can't remember her piercing it before boiling.

I tried to google it but it's difficult because it's been superseded by a modern version.

I had a friend who's go to meal was a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding with a tin of new potatoes and marrowfat peas and they kept a tin opener about 4 inches long and an inch wide and one end used to punch a triangle shaped hole in the tins which they said was especially for this job. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw one of these type of tin openers.

I remember those tin openers, I didn't know what the triangle was for until now though.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33036 on: February 09, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »

I've just remembered these. You can't see it on the picture but the cans were only about 1/3 normal size and contained enough for 3 slices of toast. Delicious.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33037 on: February 09, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »

I had a friend who's go to meal was a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding with a tin of new potatoes and marrowfat peas

That sounds like a cracking meal BTW.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33038 on: February 09, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »

Bob Mortimer cooked a meal of "Tuna and trapped potatoes". It sounded quire exotic until we found out that "Trapped potatoes" were just ordinary potatoes trapped in a tin.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33039 on: February 09, 2021, 01:07:05 PM »

Tinned potatoes are delicious if you slice them up and fry them in a little bacon fat. (Watch out though, they spit like a wild cat)

Pepper well and serve with crispy bacon or a pork chop and marrowfat peas, thick slice of crusty bread and butter optional.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33040 on: February 09, 2021, 01:22:22 PM »

Morning Red

I was flicking through the channels last night and ended up watching Gypsy Eviction - The story of Dale Farm.
It was pretty eye opening to say the least, the lengths they went to and the money spent when you realise that it was really just an extension of a legal site that is still there now.
I was too young to remember when it actually happened, so although it rang a bell the story was relatively new to me.

Made me wonder if you still do your role representing the Gypsy community that you used to talk about?

Hi Stu.

Well I still do, but not so much now to be honest.

I used to attend a lot of cross parliamentary group and minesterial meetings and consultations, it sounds grand but mostly it was just a rubber stamp exercise so that they could say the community was consulted.

I was also the UK representative of the Roma, Gypsy and Traveller Council of Europe but Brexit put paid to that.

I was also a fairly active member on the National Federation of Gypsy Liaison groups but that has now been disabled due to lack of funding. People were giving their time for free and paying their own expenses in the end but that can't go on forever.

Dale Farm was/is an Irish Traveller settlement so I had no real involvement in that other than where blanket policy was created.

At the end of the day there is a need for site provision and no will from local authorities or the population at large to provide.

That's a shame Red

I knew watching last night, that just knowing you and reading some of the things you have talked about on this diary meant I had a very different perspective on the whole thing.

After the program I went on Google Maps and saw what was there now, and your last point was exactly what I was left thinking.

I thought you might be interested in this Stu, it's quite concerning when viewed alongside lack of site provision.

https://www.hja.net/criminalising-a-way-of-life-the-police-powers-and-protection-bill/

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33041 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »

I remember those tin openers, I didn't know what the triangle was for until now though.

One of these?

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33042 on: February 09, 2021, 01:27:10 PM »

That was my standard dinner for many a year, had it literally thousands of times. Life without Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Puddings would be unthinkable.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33043 on: February 09, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33044 on: February 09, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »

One of these?

Click to see full-size image.

The other end of that opener had a little tab to fit under the rim of the can just like the pointy end. I wonder what that end is for?

Pages: 1 ... 2199 2200 2201 2202 [2203] 2204 2205 2206 2207 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: