blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2250 2251 2252 2253 [2254] 2255 2256 2257 2258 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609785 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33795 on: May 14, 2021, 10:02:53 PM »

Sorry about the quality, I snapped these directly from the album. Probably not much to interest you here anyway, mostly just snooker players.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33796 on: May 14, 2021, 10:14:18 PM »

Wow, superb.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33797 on: May 14, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »

Wow Red, were you there as a player? I know you said you played.

It's weird seeing people you know in a different life as it were. I'm friends with a guy through football, and I found out after a few weeks that he was a drummer in a punk/pop band in the 80's. Even looking at pics of him in the band I wouldn't have said it was him. His story of Jimmy Saville and a penguin was hilarious, although maybe helped by all having been on the beer for a while. He's a barman in Glasgow now & I wonder how many of the punters don't know his previous life.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33798 on: May 14, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »

Standout memories of Bangkok.

Willie Thorn visiting every table at breakfast to either pay out or collect on the previous day's bets.

A bloke on the pavement with and ancient treadle sewing machine measured me for a suit in the morning and it was ready in the afternoon. Cost the equivalent of a shirt back home.

A bullock cart and a Ferrari side by side at the traffic lights.

Everyone smiling in spite of obvious privation and poverty.

Street dogs.

A procession of burly marines taking turns to try their luck in the ring with a tiny Thai boxer, getting their ass whipped and their mates howling with laughter.

Dead ducks, each one about a yard long hanging from stalls everywhere.

A scantily clad waitress seeing me looking at her caesarean scar and explaining politely, "Baby come through, my hole too small".

The uproar I caused by trapping some baht under my shoe and thereby insulting the King by putting my foot on a picture of his head.

The girl who had nothing and lived in a packing crate but chased after me to return some money that I had unknowingly dropped.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:45:22 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33799 on: May 14, 2021, 10:44:17 PM »

It's weird seeing people you know in a different life as it were. I'm friends with a guy through football, and I found out after a few weeks that he was a drummer in a punk/pop band in the 80's. Even looking at pics of him in the band I wouldn't have said it was him. His story of Jimmy Saville and a penguin was hilarious, although maybe helped by all having been on the beer for a while. He's a barman in Glasgow now & I wonder how many of the punters don't know his previous life.

No, not as a player, I wasn't nearly good enough but I was friendly with a lot of the players of that era and I was immensely jealous that they were going on such a great adventure without me.

Then one of the players managers had to drop out at the last minute so he rang me and said that if I could get on the flight I could use his hotel room and hospitality. 

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33800 on: May 14, 2021, 10:52:29 PM »

No, not as a player, I wasn't nearly good enough but I was friendly with a lot of the players of that era and I was immensely jealous that they were going on such a great adventure without me.

Then one of the players managers had to drop out at the last minute so he rang me and said that if I could get on the flight I could use his hotel room and hospitality. 

Wow, what a result. Trip of a lifetime back then too.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #33801 on: May 14, 2021, 11:50:00 PM »

Was it Silvino's manager?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #33802 on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »

Standout memories of Bangkok.

A bloke on the pavement with and ancient treadle sewing machine measured me for a suit in the morning and it was ready in the afternoon. Cost the equivalent of a shirt back home.

These memories are fantastic and I really love the photos, especially the one of the woman holding your arm. Did she eventually let go?

There are still a lot of suit shops, but now run mostly by Indians who have a lot more hustle in them. It's all about the art of negotiation with them but can still get a good quality suit and all the trimmings for a very reasonable price. I think a lot of people blindly just say yes because it's cheap relative to where they are from but there's a lot of scope to negotiate them down to what they might charge a local.

A bullock cart and a Ferrari side by side at the traffic lights.

I think I read somewhere recently that the wealth gap in Thailand was the biggest in the world and it's summed up by what you just said. It feels like 99% of the population live month by month, week by week and day by day, but the top 1% control everything and are so rich. It's something I want to avoid really talking about on the forum but we can have a good chat about this in person as I have been so lucky to get to meet and play poker with many of this 1%.

Seeing a ferrari or sports car of that type here is even more impressive because there's a 200% luxury tax on luxury vehicles.

Street dogs.

With Thailand being around 70% Buddhist and even higher in the areas that most foreigners might find themselves (as a lot of the Muslim areas are in in more troubled Southern regions) that life is sacred and thus, as well as struggling with resources, most vets will not Euthanise dogs. There are now some organisations like the Soi Dog Foundation but there are just so many street dogs to tackle the problem.

Thailand in general is a dog loving country though, with the former King who I would say was the most loved Monarch in the world always pictured with many different dogs.

A procession of burly marines taking turns to try their luck in the ring with a tiny Thai boxer, getting their ass whipped and their mates howling with laughter.

When me and Amatay first arrived in Phuket, our landlord was an English guy with a Thai wife. I remember him saying, if you get in an argument with a Thai guy, walk away. Don't think you're bigger or stronger and be brave. While you were at school playing football and hockey, he was probably learning how to fight. Fortunately, I have never had any sort of problem here. People have always been friendly and welcoming and it also takes much much more to push a Thai person to their limit before they resort to violence in general. In nightlife areas I have seen a few foreigners deservedly get smacked by a little dude though. Your average security/doorman is about half the size of what you'd see in Europe.

A scantily clad waitress seeing me looking at her caesarean scar and explaining politely, "Baby come through, my hole too small".

I really love how matter of fact Thais are with all things related to physical appearance, explained perfectly in your little story. In other places, many of these things need to be dealt with so delicately. You may have felt rude or awkward that she noticed what you were looking at but she wouldn't have minded at all.

I remember being at a bar with some friends a few months in to my Thailand trip and talking with a few thai girls. One of them said, 'This is my friend, we call her 'PumPui', it's mean Fat'. I didnt know what to say at all. I immediately felt terrible for the girl. She looked and me and said 'I like eat too much' in such a proud happy way, with a huge smile on her face. Her friends weren't calling her it in a negative way, they just talk so frankly about things related to physical appearance which is such a healthy way to approach it. I gained a lot of weight after I first started to go to Macau and when I came back to Phuket I used to really laugh when Thais that I knew, not even friends but like local barber, or the staff at restaurants I would frequent would say things like 'Oh Cos what happen, you so fat now!?'. I actually love it and it creates an environment where things like Anorexia and eating disorders are far less than elsewhere. That said, there is also an incredible obsession with cosmetic beauty and plastic surgery and such proceedures.

The uproar I caused by trapping some baht under my shoe and thereby insulting the King by putting my foot on a picture of his head.

The King and Monarchy must be respected at all times. I remember being told off by my girlfriend for putting some cash in my shoes while I changed boots to play football. I didn't realise but it's why you never really see Thai's sitting showing the soles of their feet as it is seen as disrespectul. No woman will ever touch the top of a man's head either. Something also considered incredibly rude.

Lese Majeste laws are incredibly serious and saying anything negative about the royal family can land you with a lifetime jail sentence.

There is a National anthem played at 6am and 6pm on tv stations and bus terminals/shopping centres/skytrain stations and people will stand still and silent whilst it is played. Before movies too, the King's anthem is played and everyone within the theatre will stand.

When the last King sadly passed away, there was a whole year of mourning. I remember a few people that I know wearing only black clothing for the entire year.

Even amongst Thai friends where they would welcome my opinion, I prefer not to talk about anything political etc here. I think it's just a bad idea for a foreigner.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #33803 on: May 15, 2021, 07:20:19 AM »

Cos,

Am abso loving this, keep it coming please.

Ask questions, that's the easiest way to get me writing about anything you might want to know about.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33804 on: May 15, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »

I don't usually mind what the weather is like but is it ever going to stop raining? I'm developing webbed feet here.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33805 on: May 15, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »

Was it Silvino's manager?

No but Silvino was going through a messy divorce at the time and I was buying some bits of stuff from him so that they didn't get caught up in the settlement.

I think I've already told the story of the Rolex that my bro-in-law and I stood in on?

I also bought a very nice gold chain that he wore around his neck when he went skint in BK. I paid him £250 for it (which I thought was a bargain) and wore it around my neck.

A few weeks later when he was solvent again he offered me £250 for it back but because that hadn't been part of the original agreement and because several people said how good it looked on me (Ah vanity, thy name is Red Dog) I refused to let him have it back.

Fast forward a couple more months and the gold dip wore off the chain and I was left with an expensive bit of scrap.

Silvino though it was hilarious.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #33806 on: May 15, 2021, 01:24:03 PM »

Great snooker pictures from that amazing sounding trip Tom.  Pretty sure that would have been my first memories of snooker that exact era as a kid and my first time ever watching it live at the Hofmeister World doubles event at Northampton with my grandad.  What year was it Tom? 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:29:18 PM by arbboy » Logged
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33807 on: May 15, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »

Great snooker pictures from that amazing sounding trip Tom.  Pretty sure that would have been my first memories of snooker that exact era as a kid and my first time ever watching it live at the Hofmeister World doubles event at Northampton with my grandad.  What year was it Tom? 

I think it was 93 Arb.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #33808 on: May 15, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »

Cos,

Am abso loving this, keep it coming please.

Me too. Will never get to a lot of places now including here so this is fabulous!

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #33809 on: May 15, 2021, 02:25:00 PM »

Great write up Cos. I love hearing about your life in Thailand. I remember you going and thinking well done you trying a new life and culture. I've really missed my month in Asia because of covid.

I've been to Chiang Mai 3 times and absolutely love it. More layed back, delicious food and super friendly.

I know you're a big Thai fan. How many times have you visited?

Could you ever see yourself retiring here?

What do you dislike about it, if anything? Favourite place you visited? Worst?

Favourite thai food/foods that you'd never had in the UK.

Yes Cos I love Thailand and it's people. I think I could live there but I think the humidity during the hottest time of the year would be too much for Joo to cope with.

Funny enough one of my favourite dishes is the staple Pad Krapow, and make it spicy with the egg on top.

There is nothing I dislike TBH. I really like Chiang Mai. I have visited Ao Nang and Khao Lak several times too. As you will know Khao Lak took the brunt of Tsunami along with Phuket. There is a small but informative museum there. I've stayed at Patong, Karon, Kata and Rawai on Phuket. I would say the worst place I stayed was Rawai, just not much to do there.

On our next visit we are going further north to Chiang Rai.

Bangkok is a marmite place for visitors but I absolutely love it.

Pages: 1 ... 2250 2251 2252 2253 [2254] 2255 2256 2257 2258 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: