blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2253 2254 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 2260 2261 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609658 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33840 on: May 26, 2021, 06:55:07 AM »

What does it mean when a seemingly normal and in context word is set within those square brackety things?

Example:

"Your wrists are locked in place by metal restraints, and [the] same applies to your ankles."

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #33841 on: May 26, 2021, 07:58:44 AM »

What does it mean when a seemingly normal and in context word is set within those square brackety things?

Example:

"Your wrists are locked in place by metal restraints, and [the] same applies to your ankles."

There might be other ways you could use it but the only convention I know of is that it means the person didn't actually say the bit in the brackets, the person quoting them adds it to make it clearer.

e.g.
They actually said
"Your wrists are locked in place by metal restraints, and same applies to your ankles."
but the person quoting them writes it as

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33842 on: May 26, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »

Example:

There might be other ways you could use it but the only convention I know of is that it means the person didn't actually say the bit in the brackets, the person quoting them adds it to make it clearer.

e.g.
They actually said
"Your wrists are locked in place by metal restraints, and same applies to your ankles."
but the person quoting them writes it as

Ah, thank you Jon. That makes perfect sense.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33843 on: May 26, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33844 on: May 26, 2021, 01:46:09 PM »

Well I got it cut but it was tough going. The poor old mower whined pitifully and shuddered like a man in an ague.

Tom - do you do the quick crossword in the Guardian?

I ask because I'd never heard of the word ague until yesterday, when it was one of the answers in that day's puzzle.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33845 on: May 26, 2021, 01:54:33 PM »

Well I got it cut but it was tough going. The poor old mower whined pitifully and shuddered like a man in an ague.

I ask because I'd never heard of the word ague until yesterday, when it was one of the answers in that day's puzzle.

I'm glad it's not just me that had never heard of the word. Alas, I don't do the Guardian crossy, so I had to use google. Most impressed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33846 on: May 26, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »

Something on my facebook today

The grisly origins of Caxton Gibbet

Did you know that Caxton Gibbet is named after a medieval practice of execution? A gibbet was a gallow-type structure where the dead or dying bodies of criminals were hung in a cage on public display as a warning to other potential offenders. At Caxton Gibbet, most criminals were still alive when they were suspended in the gibbet cage and left to die from thirst, starvation and exposure to the weather. This was unusual as at other locations criminals were already dead before being ‘gibbeted’. Fortunately the structure we see on site today isn’t the original.

Wikipedia says this isn't conclusive, but medieval people in positions of power were right wankers, so i am not so sure (It seems Dominic Cummings has the same view of the current incumbents).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caxton_Gibbet

The site has been improved by a drive through McDonalds, which isn't something that is often said.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33847 on: May 26, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »

In a word, no, so just a coincidence Andrew.

I'm not particularly good at them but I do like crosswords, especially cryptic ones but for some reason I rarely do them.

Someone, (I forget who) said, "It's hard to believe in coincidence, but it's even harder to believe in anything else.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33848 on: May 26, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »

Something on my facebook today

The grisly origins of Caxton Gibbet

Did you know that Caxton Gibbet is named after a medieval practice of execution? A gibbet was a gallow-type structure where the dead or dying bodies of criminals were hung in a cage on public display as a warning to other potential offenders. At Caxton Gibbet, most criminals were still alive when they were suspended in the gibbet cage and left to die from thirst, starvation and exposure to the weather. This was unusual as at other locations criminals were already dead before being ‘gibbeted’. Fortunately the structure we see on site today isn’t the original.

Wikipedia says this isn't conclusive, but medieval people in positions of power were right wankers, so i am not so sure (It seems Dominic Cummings has the same view of the current incumbents).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caxton_Gibbet

The site has been improved by a drive through McDonalds, which isn't something that is often said.

Excellent!

I'm currently listening to The History of the World in 100 Objects on the BBC Sounds app. I can highly recommend it.

BTW- I love drive through McDonalds. (Breakfast only) The tea is first rate and comes free with a breakfast that costs less than Tony pays for a posh coffee.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33849 on: May 26, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »

Hey, I wonder if the bloke who compiles the quick crossword in the Guardian reads blonde?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33850 on: May 26, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »

Cable-car crash.

I understand what happened now. The cable that tows the car snapped allowing it to roll backwards along the main support cable. As it gathered speed the emergency brake should have deployed but it had been deliberately disabled due to regular malfunctions.

The car hit a pylon doing approx 100kph and was catapulted free of it's moorings.

Heads will roll for this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57252289

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33851 on: May 27, 2021, 09:51:54 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33852 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:01 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/199098633470668/videos/215125216889433

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33853 on: May 27, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »

Isn't nature wonderful.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33854 on: May 28, 2021, 03:51:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2253 2254 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 2260 2261 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: