blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  "In the Well" with Riverdave
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "In the Well" with Riverdave  (Read 62091 times)
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »

Sounds like you've been a pokerist for a few years now.

How did you get started, and what were your early experiences in terms of where / type of games etc...

Also, how long did it take to become a winning player?

Great thread btw.

Well i mentioned previously i was a bit of an all round degen before i discovered poker and it was surfing the Ladbrokes website that led to me discovering poker. I used to do my wages every month on various forms of gambling and i quickly discovered the biggest game on the site as it was then $50/$100 fixed limit holdem. I now know i was playing with the likes of Ram, Eric123 and Christer Johannson on a regular basis as a complete novice. Obviously i got schooled and did my cobblers although i did enjoy some decent runs too. I managed to discover NLH sit and go's on there and seemed to do quite well and eventually discovered Pokerstars still in it's infancy. It took me a while to get into MTT's stacking off far too easily at first but eventually i started to get some results. I guess it must of taken me 2 years to turn it round and recoup all the money i did during my poker education. 2 big results in Blackpool gave me a decent bankroll and 4 months later my contract with BP finished and i found myself with little motivation to look for more work. That was 3 1/4 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:16:09 AM by riverdave » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »

Last day for questions tomorrow, many thanks to Dave for doing this. Run good in Vegas!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

How much money is enough?

if you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why

whats your worst/biggest bad beat

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »

can u keep a diary on here for this years wsop please?
Pelham Boy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »

"The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock 'n' Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I'm right and you're wrong!" John Peel.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »

nods, would be great Dave!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2008, 05:04:57 AM »

How much money is enough?

if you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why

whats your worst/biggest bad beat

I've answered the money and the biggest bad beat questions earlier in the thread.

I'd love to try living in Vegas as my live cash game results are far more consistent and less swingy than online, and you have such a choice of regular action i think it would be very healthy for my bankroll. I might tire of other aspects of America though namely the people and attitudes.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2008, 05:07:23 AM »

nods, would be great Dave!

I have thought about doing a blog before and actually set one up but decided against it as i thought i wouldn't be disciplined enough to keep it up. However i will try and give it a shot for a 6 week period, i can't promise epics of Tikay or Rob Yong proportions but i'll try and give an update every few days of what i've been up to.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »

I'm not like a lot of poker players who only report their wins and today started off with a real sickener dropping $20k to Roland on $100/$200 PLO HU a sick $16k pot where i had a PP and flush draw on the flop against his continuation with no pair no draw that backed into a flush was followed by me calling him down in a strangely played similar sized pot with bare aces that were no good. The real problem with this was lack of discipline though and i should of swallowed after 2 pullps instead of reaching for numbers 3 and 4.
This left me $2k on the account after cashing $10k off yesterday and after a decent break and more sleep i came back refreshed. Currently sitting with $48k in the account largely thanks to running $2k on $25/$50 cap up to $10k and $4k on $50/$100 cap up to $31k. I've run pretty good whilst being in the well hope it doesn't stop tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:29:19 AM by riverdave » Logged
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

Exceptional thread Dave, a really good read. I hope you find the time to blog whilst in Vegas, good luck out there. 

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:29 AM »

Best well so far IMO, fascinating to read.

Also running good while in the well isnt a new theme, moomin ran well winning a few comps, but whats new there, lol only joking if he reads this. Also when I was in the well i came 3rd in stars 1k and won tilt 30r on same day.

In short, being in the well = $$$$$$$$$$$$

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

Really excellent well Dave, thanks for the very insightful answers and I hope your good form continues.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »

Best well so far IMO, fascinating to read.

All the wells have given me plenty to think about but this one is fascinating, to say the least, I've never understood how someone can spin up from such a short amount (relatively) to such a huge one and I now have to reconsider my entire attitude to grinding a roll up and moving up levels slowly. Thanks very much for this one.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »

If you could pick any 10 players to sit down at a winner take all cash game who would you pick? and how much would you be comfortable buying in with? and at which location would you most prefer to play it at?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

How does your notion of the value of your 'poker money' compare to the value of the same amount of money in the real world?

Does a tenner falling out of your pocket annoy you less than it did before you played big money poker as a tenner is so insignificant to the amounts you usually spin up to?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: