blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 12:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 620169 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: March 31, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

Grand Budapest Hotel

Need to change my view that all Wes Anderson films are just shite. Even nirvana 'got' this one. Sound recommendation from he'm.

Solid 7/10

Yah, yah, likeable watch

sola virtus nobilitat
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2821 on: March 31, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

I was really looking forward to 12 Years A Slave after rave reviews and zomg critical acclaim including 9 Academy Award nomiations. However, it simply isn't THAT good and I felt rather deflated after sitting through a somewhat mediocre production. I often feel the controversial subject matter of movies can inflate the praise heaped upon them by critics and this film is a prime example. Watch Roots if you want a top slavery flick or Django for a more light-hearted but equally first rate watch. In reality it was just ok.

Totally agree, I was utterly bored through pretty much the whole film.  I'd been looking forward to watching it and heard so many positive things from lots of different people.  FWIW I also felt that the lead actor's performance was not "Oscar worthy" he just looked confused for the entirety of the film.

Every Oscar that this film wins, I feel will be "stolen" from the cast of American Hustle/Dallas Buyer's Club.

Saw 12 Years a Slave on Friday and I do have to agree - nowhere near as ZOMG as reviews lead me to believe.

I think part of the problem is the source material. "I wasn't a slave, then I was a slave, I got treated badly (ldo)" and as we know the book was written by the guy and was called '12 Years a Slave' rather than 'Slave For The Rest of My Life" so we already know how it ends.

Fassbender and Ejiofor are both excellent, and it's the scenes between them that are best as you have the contrast between uncontrolled rage and rage that has to be suppressed but the rest was just a bit meh. Some nice direction (such as the hanging scene where the shot is held for just so long) but, for me, not as good as Shame.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2822 on: March 31, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

Other films I saw this weekend (did my back in at the gym so spent most of it on the sofa watching films)

We Need To Talk About Kevin - mesmerising film, really unsettling, brilliantly directed. Tilda Swinton is amazing.

World War Z - toilet, absolute toilet. The only good bits were the mass zombie rushes which basically looked like they were out of a computer game. Riddled with plotholes and people doing just stupid things because that's what the plot demands. Feels like it was edited with a machete.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2823 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »

In fact, the real redeeming feature of World War Z is that without it, we wouldn't have had the World War Zimmerman episode of South Park.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

Have realised I made a mistake with the name of the actress I singled out for particular praise in A Long Way Down. Her name is IMOGEN Poots, rather than Isobel. She's the one on the right, here:

Mark Kermode's job is safe for another week. The Winkleman will sleep soundly, but she was never in any danger.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:15:07 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: April 01, 2014, 01:34:30 AM »

Other films I saw this weekend (did my back in at the gym so spent most of it on the sofa watching films)

We Need To Talk About Kevin - mesmerising film, really unsettling, brilliantly directed. Tilda Swinton is amazing.

World War Z - toilet, absolute toilet. The only good bits were the mass zombie rushes which basically looked like they were out of a computer game. Riddled with plotholes and people doing just stupid things because that's what the plot demands. Feels like it was edited with a machete.

It had Brad Pitt, and surely the script, plot, characterization, supporting cast, any form of editing or direction, acting etc is irrelevant when his abs are on the screen? I mean, if they weren't enough, there's his charisma and the occasional million dollar special effect?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: April 01, 2014, 04:06:07 AM »

A Long Way Down

Film adaptation of a Nick Hornby novel. You know what you're getting. BBC Film. Ditto.

The concept? Four people meet at the top of a tower, each intending to jump off. We learn about what led them to get there and it's a classic model, reminiscent of the Wizard of Oz about how and where they go from there.

It isn't going to win every award going, but it is a genuine, charming way of touching on a deeply dark and emotive subject. I've seen some reviews criticising it for being superficial and not exploring the issues more. I think that's missing the point. It doesn't make itself out to be Dallas Buyer's Club and it doesn't give its characters any real room to tell you about everything that's wrong. We get enough of a window to get the idea and that has to do.

Aaron Paul from off of Breaking Bad shows us he can tackle a troubled soul of a different breed. Toni Collette has the most difficult issues to deal with and she copes with a beautiful sincerity that must touch even the most manly of souls. Pierce Brosnan is not my favourite actor in the world but he plods along without doing any damage. Isobelle Poots is becoming one of my absolute favourites. You might remember her from 28 Weeks Later. She takes the easy comedic points with a beguiling dryness and portrays her role as the unloved daughter with sensitivity and real heart. I hope she gets more work in bigger roles.

My own take of it was that the script was the biggest problem. I've not read the book, so don't know how close it was to the original and don't know how constrained they were with what they were allowed to do. Would seem unfair to hold the cast to account for the failings of the material they were given.

It is a film that does enough in every department but not much more in any. A good way to spend a couple of hours, though.

7/10

Had no idea this was out.  Have read the book which is enjoyable in a very Nick Hornby specific kind of way ie not challenging, you are never going to rave to friends about it but you read it in a couple of days.  Film sounds exactly the same like most of the adaptations of his books.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »

+1 on We need to talk about Kevin, very disturbing film.

-1 on Snow Piercer - Idea was pretty unique and it Started well, but then it turned into an absolute farce. Also some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

Watched a film called 'what Maisie knew', Steve Coogan and Julian Moore. A must watch for the parents of this world. Depicts the life of a child whose parents are recently separated. 8/10

corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2828 on: April 01, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »

+1 on We need to talk about Kevin, very disturbing film.

Really enjoyed this film. Thought it was beautifully shot and all the Kevins at various ages were really good too, as was the mother.

Anyone seen Noah yet? I'm hoping to find the time to go watch over the next couple weeks. Love aronofsky.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »

Anyone seen Noah yet? I'm hoping to find the time to go watch over the next couple weeks. Love aronofsky.

A friend didn't like it because the story strayed too far away from the actual events.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2830 on: April 01, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »

A friend didn't like it because the story strayed too far away from the actual events.

I had high hopes for Noah but I think it's a bit of a washout.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2831 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »

snowpiercer was ok, watchable but nothing to write home about 6/10
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

The Best Offer was great, thanks!
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: April 02, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »

We need to talk about kevin was great. thanks again