blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621560 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3180 on: January 28, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »

Just watched The Big Short with Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt and others.

Would highly recommend a watch if anyone wants a better simplistic understanding of how the global financial crisis occurred

Watching it this weekend and relieved to hear its going to dumb down for a dummy like me.

Accurate description, very enjoyable movie and perfectly takes a complex topic and makes it palatable for a mainstream audience.

Have you seen "Too big to fail" and "Inside job"?

Both films about the same crisis and both equally as good or better than The Big Short in my opinion. Too big to fail is a pure film with no commentary, Inside job is pure documentary with ongoing commentary from Matt Damon. The Big Short is kind of a halfway house between the two I suppose.

Actually watched Inside Job the day after Big Short. I was amazed all the people in it agreed to be interviewed.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »

Just watched The Big Short with Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt and others.

Would highly recommend a watch if anyone wants a better simplistic understanding of how the global financial crisis occurred

Watching it this weekend and relieved to hear its going to dumb down for a dummy like me.

Accurate description, very enjoyable movie and perfectly takes a complex topic and makes it palatable for a mainstream audience.

Have you seen "Too big to fail" and "Inside job"?

Both films about the same crisis and both equally as good or better than The Big Short in my opinion. Too big to fail is a pure film with no commentary, Inside job is pure documentary with ongoing commentary from Matt Damon. The Big Short is kind of a halfway house between the two I suppose.

Actually watched Inside Job the day after Big Short. I was amazed all the people in it agreed to be interviewed.

Yeah some of them came across really badly. It would be interesting to see the full interviews though as I can't help but think they picked out the best bits for the film.

It's one of those films that I really think everybody needs to see just to get an idea of how crappy the whole thing really was. A few people have made ridiculous amounts of money and they're apparently quite useless. The whole Greenspan/Summers thing is unreal. How did they not see what was happening?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 30, 2016, 08:51:44 PM »

Just saw the new Star Wars film, really enjoyed it, solid 8+/10
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: January 31, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

Watched a few movies this weekend

Dirty Grandpa (dont ask why) shameful why De Niro is in this is beyond me (money obviously).
Not funny joke about child abuse the particular low. Left way before the end dont bother on any level 1/10

Breakdown typical English gangster film starring Fairbrass, not to bad but nothing original 6.5/10

The Big Short worth watching not in same league as Too Big To Fail and Inside Job and another one i have seen that i cant recall the name (will post if i remember). Agree with EvilPie 6/10

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:40:52 PM by horseplayer » Logged
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Spotlight this week (hopefully) anyone seen it yet? seems well regarded
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 31, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Spotlight this week (hopefully) anyone seen it yet? seems well regarded

My old man has, and thought it was very good.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3186 on: January 31, 2016, 05:46:03 PM »

Looks awesome I will also be watching this week
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 31, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615147/

Remembered it! Margin Call best of the lot imo. 99 Homes is also good but not really the same thing

Thanks Marky will try and review after
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:02:29 PM by horseplayer » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 31, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »

Concussion- Will Smith play a doctor who uncovers the disease as a result of long term head impacts in American football, the NFL wants to cover it up. True story apparently....

Decent watch, worth a look 7.5/10
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: February 10, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

We saw a preview of this in London on Monday. The story is identical to Pride & Prejudice apart from the logical consequences of a Zombie Apocalypse replacing the Napoleonic wars.

I saw a fairly snobby review in the Telegraph where the journalist said he got a small bit of enjoyment from trying to work out which bits they were going to inject zombies into, but I think that revealed he had completely the wrong mindset for enjoying this film. It isn't a film you should see as another re-make of P&P, because if you do then any parts that have been amended or added are going to detract from the original. But if you approach it as a Period RomZomCom then the parts provided by Austen are more more likely to help it come across as unusually classy (for the genre).

My fiancee had the best background for an unbiased view as she has never read the book or seen any film or TV adaptations and she thought it was a great zombie film spoiled by some less fun romantic bits. I would say it was very entertaining but not necessarily worth a trip to the cinema for. I'd go for 6.5/10 and say wait for the small screen, but definitely worth watching.

Click to see full-size image.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »

We saw a preview of this in London on Monday. The story is identical to Pride & Prejudice apart from the logical consequences of a Zombie Apocalypse replacing the Napoleonic wars.

I saw a fairly snobby review in the Telegraph where the journalist said he got a small bit of enjoyment from trying to work out which bits they were going to inject zombies into, but I think that revealed he had completely the wrong mindset for enjoying this film. It isn't a film you should see as another re-make of P&P, because if you do then any parts that have been amended or added are going to detract from the original. But if you approach it as a Period RomZomCom then the parts provided by Austen are more more likely to help it come across as unusually classy (for the genre).

My fiancee had the best background for an unbiased view as she has never read the book or seen any film or TV adaptations and she thought it was a great zombie film spoiled by some less fun romantic bits. I would say it was very entertaining but not necessarily worth a trip to the cinema for. I'd go for 6.5/10 and say wait for the small screen, but definitely worth watching.

Looks wicked...

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »

seems to be some interesting aspects to this film

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »

Deadpool

I was really looking forward to this but with all the media hype and promo videos I was beginning to get a little worried that they had shown all the good bits. I was foolish, there are plenty of good bits left to see. I was a tiny bit confused also that Ryan Reynolds had actually played the character Wade Wilson previously in the X-Men Origins Wolverine film, I think Marvel would like everyone to forget this though. BTW this didn't detract at all.

Anyhow, great film slight departure from the normal Marvel offerings. Morena Baccarin in stockings, stunning (one for the Homeland fans). Great Stan Lee cameo (WAL). Quite a bit of action, loads of lols and a few boobs thrown in too. Ed Skrein was a decent enough bad guy. As with pretty much all Marvel films don't leave until after the credits have rolled up.

Ah! The element of surprise
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: February 20, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »

DEAD POOL
Really enjoyed it. Best "Super Hero" film I've watched in a long time. Action and violence was suitably adult, supporting cast put in a fair shift, villain was solid, humour was pitched just right, the 'breaking the fourth wall' stuff was good, and the steps into the real world were funny (eg, when professor X was referenced, he asked "Stewart or McAvoy, I get really confused" or mentioning studio budget when only two minor X Men characters were at the mansion).

Above all, main character was very enjoyable. A refreshing change from the usual super hero types. Really looking forward to a sequel and also hopefully seeing Deadpool showing up in X Men / Avengers films.

8/10 (only because I feel there was quite a bit in there that the comic book fans would get that non-comic book readers will miss)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:35:10 PM by AdamM » Logged
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: February 20, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »

Agree re: Dead Pool, a cut above the massively overhyped Kick-Ass. Ryan Reynolds always top class.

Triple 9 - just confusing.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: