blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617779 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: October 21, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »

LOL!

Might have to see this

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3421 on: October 21, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

LOL!

Might have to see this

Sounds like this
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: October 23, 2017, 02:12:52 PM »

Blade Runner 2049

Ok a fajita Friday I have been looking forward to for a long time.. first off let me state i'm a huge fan of the original and re watched it Thursday prior to the big event.

Time has moved on and new improved obedient replicants are common place.. K ( Ryan Gosling ) is a Replicant Blade Runner.. the best there is and has plenty of work, as it seems lots of those naughty Nexus models with the new lifespan are still running around.  K is drawn into searching for a child that is believed to be the product of a replicant birth that if true would change the world forever. As he delves further into a very murky world it seems there are forces out there that don't want K to succeed.

What follows is a moody, visually spectacular tour de force that i'm sure will wet most Blade Runner fans pants. Some of the special effects and shots of sweeping vista's are nothing short of breathtaking. We move from Dystopian rain drenched cityscapes as in the original to arid wastelands on to my particular favourite, a dust covered radiation filled Las Vegas..deserted, eerie and yet strangely beautiful.

The film moves slowly, some may feel too slowly, but personally I felt it was necessary to fully immerse the viewer in the vision that is the Blade Runner universe. The story is punctuated with moments of fast, visceral violence and then settles back into moving along like a sullen teenager.

I won't give any spoiler details.. save the story is relevant to the original..makes many nods, referances and visuals to the classic.

I can't deny I really enjoyed.. i knew I would if they even managed to come close to the original. Some may not be as free with their praise.. as said it moves slowly. I think Gosling does a decent job to be fair.. coming across as sad and lost.. going through the motions..doing his job and being satisfied with a virtual companion that is more life like that can generally be expected. Harrison Ford obviously makes the film what it is..bridging the past with the present. He reprises the role effectively for satisfaction and just the odd sardonic quip was enough to have me swooning.

Maybe a touch long but they certainly did a good job

8.5 Fajitas

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: October 23, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »

Flounced out of both Bladerunner and Snowman, both tez. Raymond Briggs must be fumming.

Happy Death Day is nothing new but decent for it and Ms Rothe pretty incred.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: October 24, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »

Flounced out of both Bladerunner and Snowman, both tez. Raymond Briggs must be fumming.

Happy Death Day is nothing new but decent for it and Ms Rothe pretty incred.

Succinct.. attention span of a knat.. lost count how many times uv flounced out of cinemas..and card rooms

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: November 12, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »

Just went to see new Thor Rosvadov.....or whatever it called.

Really enjoyedit, loads of good action with a fair bit of comedy injected also. This is probably the best of the marvel films I’ve seen. Couple of other things, I saw this in 3D, my 2 previous experiences of 3D were not good and I did not really enjoy them, also this was at the Southbank centre theatre which was awesome, so I’m not sure if that had a bearing on the quality of the 3D v previous films.

Anyway enjoyed it immensely so solid 9/10 from me 😊
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3426 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »

Oh really enjoyed Death of Stalin, I'd recommend it to anyone who either A) Likes The Thick of It or B) Has a passing interest in Russian/Communist history. Manages to be very funny and also capture the utter psychological torture and non-stop murder of Stalin's reign. It actually might be a bit hard to watch (both to follow and because it's at times upsetting) if you don't tick either of those boxes.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3427 on: November 12, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »

Oh really enjoyed Death of Stalin, I'd recommend it to anyone who either A) Likes The Thick of It or B) Has a passing interest in Russian/Communist history. Manages to be very funny and also capture the utter psychological torture and non-stop murder of Stalin's reign. It actually might be a bit hard to watch (both to follow and because it's at times upsetting) if you don't tick either of those boxes.

Sounds like a bit of me Bazza, I'll give it a bash.

The older I get, the better I was.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »

Paddington 2 is joyous.

Hugh Grant is laugh out loud good and looks like he is loving life. Brendan Gleeson is brilliant too as the big brute with a kind heart.

It's a bit schmaltzy and paints of picture of England that I am not sure exists any more. It can come across a little righteous too but after a slow first 15mins, I was charmed all the way through and laughed a lot. Better than the first one.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: November 20, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »

The Big Sick close to being a ten out of tenner.

Here endeth another pithy review.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: November 20, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »

Funnily enough in preparation for the new blade runner I watched the original film for the first time. I was pretty excited because blade runner is iconic so was surprised to discover the original is in fact very shit. As a consequence I will not be watching the new blade runner.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: November 20, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »

Funnily enough in preparation for the new blade runner I watched the original film for the first time. I was pretty excited because blade runner is iconic so was surprised to discover the original is in fact very shit. As a consequence I will not be watching the new blade runner.

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one who thought the original was shit.

Darryl Hannah looking pretty fit though to make it almost watchable.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one who thought the original was shit.

Darryl Hannah looking pretty fit though to make it almost watchable.

Philistines!!

The original's obv a little dated now (but no so much as Star Wars, for example), but it's still got some great scenes, and it's been hugely influential. Not that "being influential" improves a film, but you can appreciate a film that was simply groundbreaking in terms of subject matter, style or technique, no? Think Citizen Kane or Hitchcock or 2001.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 14, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

SPOILER FREE REVIEW (HOPEFULLY):

Went to the midnight showing of The Last Jedi last night and have to admit to being underwhelmed with it.

One of the criticisms of The Force Awakens (which I thought was fantastic on first viewing, less so over time) was that it was essentially a re-boot of the original Star Wars film.  This one felt largely like re-boots of a selection of scenes from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi around which they've built a new plot.  Consequently it felt disjointed overall and, as a result of trying to cram too many plotlines/characters into it, some of them didn't get developed sufficiently, even in a film that's over 2.5 hours long.

There's also too much of an attempt at forced humour in some of the scenes, particularly the opening sequences which felt a little like a Star Wars parody being played for laughs in places.  That's probably something only picked up on by those of us who've grown up through the films, so it'll be oblivious to the younger viewers who will probably love it.

My surprise is that I seem to be contrary to the critic reviews on this, so maybe my expectations were too high.  My cousin was watching it elsewhere and she had similar thoughts to mine, based on our WhatsApp chat afterwards.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it overall - it's Star Wars after all and the little kid inside me still wants to know how it develops.  However, if I could paraphrase it, I'd describe it as "Star Wars By Numbers".  Rogue One was a much better film, in my view, despite it being constrained to a general storyline that everyone knew beforehand.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: December 14, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »

SPOILER FREE REVIEW (HOPEFULLY):

Went to the midnight showing of The Last Jedi last night and have to admit to being underwhelmed with it.

One of the criticisms of The Force Awakens (which I thought was fantastic on first viewing, less so over time) was that it was essentially a re-boot of the original Star Wars film.  This one felt largely like re-boots of a selection of scenes from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi around which they've built a new plot.  Consequently it felt disjointed overall and, as a result of trying to cram too many plotlines/characters into it, some of them didn't get developed sufficiently, even in a film that's over 2.5 hours long.

There's also too much of an attempt at forced humour in some of the scenes, particularly the opening sequences which felt a little like a Star Wars parody being played for laughs in places.  That's probably something only picked up on by those of us who've grown up through the films, so it'll be oblivious to the younger viewers who will probably love it.

My surprise is that I seem to be contrary to the critic reviews on this, so maybe my expectations were too high.  My cousin was watching it elsewhere and she had similar thoughts to mine, based on our WhatsApp chat afterwards.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it overall - it's Star Wars after all and the little kid inside me still wants to know how it develops.  However, if I could paraphrase it, I'd describe it as "Star Wars By Numbers".  Rogue One was a much better film, in my view, despite it being constrained to a general storyline that everyone knew beforehand.

Got Imax tickets booked for tomorrow's Fajita Friday outing.. I to have grown up with the Star Wars universe ingrained into my childhood being a bright eyed 8 year old when first introduced.. have been eagerly awaiting this.. will try to take off the rose tinted glasses but doubt it.. hope its not been over hyped

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: