blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617597 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: August 15, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »

The Festival surprisingly good. If you liked The Inbetweeners you'll like this.

Always thought Joe Thomas was the weak link of the four but he's fine here. Hannah Tointon awful as always though. Some genuine lol moments.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: August 15, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »

Calibre on Netflix is excellent.

A brooding horror where two young guys go up into the highlands on a hunting trip. There is an accident and they have to try and cover their tracks while the locals try and find out what has happened.

The setting is ominous, lots of dense forest and dark skylines. Scottish people are really good at being intimidating without having to say much. There are a few standout scenes that I won't spoil, the best bits are the aftermath of the accident when they are frantically trying to "get away with it".

Reminds me a lot of Eden Lake which absolutely terrified me. No jump scares but consistent tension.

Not sure how I feel on the ending but a good 8/10.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: August 16, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »

Upgrade is a fun film. Bit like Robocop meets Knight Rider in an episode of Black Mirror.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: August 19, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »

American Animals - quite a neat, well produced true story about students who try and heist some rare books from their university library, enjoyed.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: August 27, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »

Alpha

Good reviews and I'm a sucker for this sort of tale, but it's poor. Trundles along aimlessly to halfway, by which point you don't care any more. Watch Eight Below or A Dog's Purpose instead.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: September 07, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »

BlackkKlansman

Quirky Spike Lee flick based on a true story. Sort of film Tarantino might take on, but of course there's a whole lot more credibility coming from the Spike Lee lens....

Other than a staged recounting of a terrible murder/lynching, the scariest, most shocking part of the whole movie, is the news footage shown as an appendix.

Edit: decided it would be inappropriate to grade this film. It's certainly worth seeing, though.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: September 12, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »

Final Score

One of these Sky original films that gets an actual cinema release alongside its pay per view offering.

A rebel soviet state terrorist cell takes control of West Hams stadium threatening to blow it up if their demands are not met. Unfortunately for them they have also taken hostage the niece of an ex Navy Seal who will stop at nothing to save her.

So the  convoluted, cliché riddled scene is set and we know early on our suspension of disbelief will have to be at its highest as we learn West Ham are that night playing the first leg of a European Cup Semi Final.. Whatever happens after this will be totally believable Smiley .

David Bautista ( he of WWE and Guardians of the Galaxy fame ) headlines aided by none other than Pierce Brosnan and a welcome outing for UK stalwart Ray Stevenson.

To be fair production values are high and the action is almost top notch and often brutal, on par with many of its Hollywood counterparts. The story starts reasonably but descends slowly into the ridiculous gathering pace until we have full on automatic gun battles on the stands roofs whilst all inside the stadium seem oblivious. I can only think the shock of seeing West Ham compete in a Euro semi final has left the entire crowd deaf and dumb.

It’s worth a watch and Sky has to be commended at gathering some serious talent to bring this actioneer to life.. I went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised..Ignoring the silly story it wasn't a bad gun toting romp and worth a viewing..Solid and surprising..

6/10

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: September 12, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »

The Nun

We now seem to live in the era of the multi-verse, where several films are linked to create a much larger story.. Marvel are the headliners in this field bringing the multifaceted realms of their various Super Heroes together to form splendid offerings that old and alike can appreciate.

One of the other multi-verses to be created is The Conjuring.. Linking the Conjuring and Annabel tales. Now The Nun joins them to form even more back-story to the overall tale. The Nun had been hinted at in nearly all the Conjuring linked films, creating some of the most striking ( and creepy ) visuals along the way. Who does that horrifying demonic facade belong to we wondered..What is her story.. Well thanks to the multi-verse we can now know.

Our tale is set in a remote Romanian castle converted to a nunnery. The Nuns stand guard over an ancient evil, imprisoned many moons ago and held in place by their 24/7 prayers. The evil though is growing stronger and looking for a way out. The apparent suicide of one of the nuns brings an envoy from the Vatican accompanied by a novice nun to further investigate the goings on in the dark eastern backwaters.

The settings are incredibly atmospheric and genuinely creepy. A real sense of fear and dread can be felt in the cold shadowy confines of the castle and who would have thought nuns could be so scary.

As with many modern horrors the director relies heavily on  'jump scare ' set pieces where something literally jumps out of nowhere accompanied by a crescendo of sound..The other main tactic used here is the form/figure/killer/demon in the background whilst our hero/heroine stands in the foreground completely oblivious. Jump scares are ok but are a little overdone in this one.. I quite like the background idea.. It’s a great mix of dread/horror without literally anything happening. There’s nothing like the anticipation formed in a humans imagination.

The effects and make up are top line and the demonic countenances are grotesque and scary.. the tale is fairly formulaic but told well and as with all these multi-verse tales we are left with an ending that is a beginning and we can expect more from the Nun I'm sure

If you like the Conjuring tales you will enjoy this..It’s actually a little more in your face than the others which doesn't detract at all. Horror fans in general will enjoy.. I’ve been a sucker for a Demonic face ever since the original Evil Dead

6/10

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: September 12, 2018, 11:52:03 PM »

Hurricane

Hurricane is the Second World War tale of a squadron of Polish fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain. Their bravery and skill going a long way to ensure Hitler never invaded us in those dark early days of the war.

The movie switches between aerial battles and the Poles as they fight to adapt to an unfamiliar environment and the coming to terms of the loved ones they left behind to the mercy of the Nazi invaders.

I was keen to view this film as I enjoy war films in general and any that involve Spitfire & Hurricanes duelling with the Luftwaffe.

In the end the film suffered from its obvious budgetary restrictions.. The dogfight scenes were reasonably done but all too often the CGI became too apparent and I felt like I was watching someone playing a video game. I know it’s too much to ask for real life hoards of dog fighting Spits and 109E's but by buggery that’s what I want. After viewing the air scene in Dunkirk nothing is going to come close. In fact after watching Hurricane I put on Dunkirk just to view Tom Hardy piloting his Spitfire. God it’s even more incredible on further viewings.. The whine and shaking of the aircrafts frame as it turned gave me goose bumps.. So powerful..So emotive.. Just incredible.

Sorry Hurricane .. You just can't compete.

All in all Hurricane is what it is.. A B class offering with slightly awkward wooden acting enshrined with second class effects. It’s not until you view high end, polished blockbuster type films ( even the bad ones ) can you appreciate the production values against offerings like this.

A disappointing 4.5/10

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: September 13, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »

Oceans 8

So Hollywood goes to the well once more with another spin off of a popular franchise. This time the Oceans 11 series gets the treatment. 'I know' said someone in a dark, insignificant room in a studio somewhere in Los Angeles. 'Lets do the same film but with the cast as women, cos that worked before didn’t it cough.. Ghostbusters '

Such unashamed cash wringing.. Do they think we are stupid..? Oh wait.

Ok let’s get a semi A lister to head it up.. I know Sandra Bullock..She hasn’t been in anything for a while.. her fees bound to have come down..Throw in some extra eye candy and churn it out.

So apparently Danny Ocean has a sister whose also a con person..Who’d have thought?.. languishing in jail for five years after being betrayed by her beau she has been busy not only plotting her revenge but also a super duper diamond heist..Oh what fun !

So Oceans 8 is Ocean’s eleven with girls..Just less of them.

Personally I love a good heist film..All the planning.. The twists and turns as it doesn’t seem to go exactly to plan and none more than the aforementioned original trilogy.

The trouble with Oceans 8 apart from the obvious.. is it actually tries too hard and feels rushed. The original had intricate planning by characters that had depth, charisma, humour and who interacted with each other perfectly. Oceans 8 throws its protagonists together and almost forces them to gel like 11 Brazilian millionaire centre forwards and just expects them to bond and work like they had known each other all their lives.

The film tries to create a girl equivalent to the Bromance between Clooney and Pitts characters and it just doesn’t work..There was a magic between Danny and Rusty..They were charming and funny..They were bad but irresistible. Bullock and her counterpart just don't sparkle and ultimately this is what a film like this relies on. It could have been saved by a beautifully crafted heist plot but alas apart from some computer jiggery pokery there was very little to amaze or delight in the planning of this caper. Bullock reckoned it took her three years in the joint to perfect.. I wonder what she did for the other 2 years 364 days and 23 hours 55 minutes.

In context it wasn’t too bad.. and stand alone its bearable..But it’s made to stand naked and ugly next to the genuine article.. and is always going to come up short

5/10

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3565 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »

Great write ups , Thank you.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

Mandy

I had been intrigued/looking forward to this feature for a while since I had come across a trailer, on the basis it looked fucking mental !

A schlock horror offering headlined by Nicholas Cage.. Mandy is a simple tale of revenge, when a barking mad cult leader kidnaps his wife for his own nefarious ends.

The whole film feels like an LSD trip all hazy and weird, which at points comes sharpely into focus with visceral and bloody violence.

Cage is at his loony best, at one point throwing a full screaming fit whilst attempting to down a large bottle of Vodka dressed in t shirt and pants.. obviousley had the table service at Tao before then.

Its a slow build and some will find it a bit of a trek until our protagonist loses his shit but the second half is like a ride in the mind of a demented beast.

You will either love or hate it..there will be no in between..  not what I was expecting but an unforgetttable ride nonetheless

6/10

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 04, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

Three Identical Strangers, first class documentary, remarkable true story.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: October 05, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »

Venom and A Star Is Born can both do one.

Stefani fine but lol at Oscar talk.

Jamie East let himself down giving this *****. Normally a decent judge.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 05, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »

Kermode was gushing about A Star Is Born this afternoon - was just lining up a date with a bucket of popcorn....
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: