blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 234624 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #975 on: March 12, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »

Got my new running shoes delivered today, and tried them on and they seem to fit well. Going to go for a run in the morning and see how they fair and also see how my ankle holds up.

I've been running in performance/racing shoes (even though I'm not a fast runner) previously as they have a limited amount of cushioning in the midsole, as opposed to the running shoes with substantial midsoles and lots of cushioning aimed at those who heel strike when they run.

Anyway, since I've moved house my usual runs are now on woodland trails, compacted gravel paths and some paved roads. I've got some trail shoes which are excellent when it's very muddy or deep snow. But I've been after a pair of shoes that are more 'minimalist', with little cushioning and a 'zero drop' from the heel to the front of the foot. This is supposedly the best structure of shoe for forefoot running, without a heel to interfere with the landing and a thin midsole to aid 'proprioception' - basically being able to feel the ground through your feet when you run as you would if you were running barefoot.

So the shoes I've got have this zero-drop and low profile, with a grippy sole for trail running (but also suitable for the road as well). They're the Merrell Trail Glove, and hopefully they'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Will report back tomorrow, assuming my ankle doesn't fail me.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #976 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »

They look a bit like clown's shoes because of the large toe-box:

Click to see full-size image.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #977 on: March 13, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »

Went out for a run this morning, and the ankle didn't suffer too much at all.  Could feel it before I started, but once I got going it was fine.  My left calf (it was my right ankle I'd injured) was tight though, right from the start of the run.  I guess it's been working overtime whilst my ankle has been sore.  That and the fact that I haven't been running for a good few weeks, although my right calf was perfectly fine.  If they're feeling OK I might go out for another short run tomorrow morning.

As for the new shoes, they felt good.  Very little difference in the way that I run previously, but the shoes definitely encourage a forefoot landing (and discourage a heel strike that can happen when I get tired and my form suffers, especially downhill).  Can definitely feel the ground more through my feet and I felt 'lighter footed' going through the technical trail bits (with lots of exposed roots and sharp stones).  They feel good on the road as well as on the trail parts of the route, which is what I was hoping for.  Not the best time to test the shoes, with me not having run for a few weeks and having had the ankle injury.  Should get a better idea over the next few weeks.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

The weather was hot because God thought I was running it. It wasn't that hot yesterday though.

The female runner from our tr24 team last year managed to win the ladies race.

I was speaking tonight to the guy who came 5th. he was saying it was fairly hot but the problem is the complete lack of shade at any point on the course so people were collapsing

been looking through his garmin readout for the race, his split times are remarkably consistent. I guess that's something to aim for, mine tend to very a lot

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #979 on: March 15, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »

Consistent or with a negative split is meant to be the key.

Sure you'll be fine though.

kano

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 15, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »

I'm running the Liverpool Half on Sunday, what would you advise to eat on the day before and morning of it? Please keep the blog going, I really enjoy it.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

eat whatever you normally eat. way too late to be trying out anything new and find out it doesn't agree with you

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »

I'm running the Liverpool Half on Sunday, what would you advise to eat on the day before and morning of it? Please keep the blog going, I really enjoy it.

As stated nothing new, if it were me I would have a pasta dish on the sat evening (spag bol, tuna pasta bake). Then on Sunday morn 3 hours before race time I would have cereals, banana and a jam filled croissant, orange juice, brew and then start sipping water. An hour to go, I then stop taking on board the water and have the occasional drink. This way I am hydrated and flushed out so I am not whirling like a washing machine. Good luck, I am positive you will enjoy it!

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »

What those two said, and also best to avoid anything too spicy on Saturday night or anything that's going to 'loosen' you up too much.  Not what you need when you're running!

kano

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 18, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, better get to bed. 
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, better get to bed. 

how did it go?

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

on saturday morning I will be taking part in the 58th running of the almost annual orion 15. this is notorious in east london/essex as being a really tough race; 15 miles cross country, always muddy even when it hasn't been raining, lots of hills one of which you have to walk as it's too steep to run, I assume that's the one called 'vertical hill'

I like this taken from their website

A measure of the respect in which the race is held: the programme for the 1978 New York Marathon listed Ian Thompson's "major achievements" as European Marathon Champion, Commonwealth Marathon Champion and 2nd place, Orion 15!

I'm so not looking forward to it. not helped by my race number turning up today along with a letter that began 'Dear runner, friend and lover of mud, hills and puddles'

can't wait for it to be over

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 24, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

wow, that has to be about as tough as running races get. 15 miles of absolute hell, mud and hills. I had hoped that people were joking about the hill you have to walk up. they weren't. berlin is gonna be a breeze after that

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »

You should come up for the Wiggle 10k. A pleasant off road run, with some harder bits, but fairly pleasant when it hasn't been raining.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »

already got 3 things on that day, trying to get out of 2 of them as the 3rd is last game of the season

official times now published for today. 1:54:39. well pleased with that

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: