blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  blonde, going forward.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde, going forward.  (Read 35994 times)
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »

if those people never contribute to the fortune

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »

hate to say this but I am sure a lot of the readers on here will agree. Without live updates you will go the way of poker trillion. They are the number one reason people come here. Ok they may not generate revenue directly but without them you will never get any new players onto your card room and unique user hits to your site will drop massively which will effect the banner advertising revenue (be it pay per click/affiliate or direct sponsorship).

letting snoops and no flops go imo will prove to be the biggest mistake blonde have ever made as you have rightly said they both ARE blonde. God help you if awop or any other firm snap them up as they are both updating gods and huge assets.

I am not trying to inflame things here as I am sure this really hurts you to do but by letting these two go I feel its only a matter of time before the last one to leave should please turn the lights out. Its a shame to see but if AWOP/pokernews/cardplayer etc all run better business models then you then you should be looking at the people who run the business/generate revenue for the site before getting rid of the real assets- snoops and floppy always did their jobs very well and its obviously other peoples fault that blonde is in the state it is currently.

without live updates you are just another poker forum (of which there are many). Your updates were unique because of the ones who are now being punished due to other peoples failed business acumen.

I for one totally agree, fantastic post Russ.

Hi Steve,

You might agree, but the Post was made on a false premise. Most people do NOT come here for the Live Updates - only 25% do. See here......

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=39867.0

In reality, it was just a thinly veiled attack on Tighty, later admitted by the Poster, who was nursing a grievance following the ban-stick some years ago.

We will NEVER do a "Poker Trillion", because we are honest.  And that's exactly why we did what we did.

Hope you are well, & in good heart.

my later attack was on tighty and you asked me to leave it at that so i did and havent posted since- please stop assuming every post I make is an attack as i made it quite clear which post i was having a pop. if ever I am having a go at anyone I make it quite clear I am doing so and would only do it when I know they are there so they get a chance to see it, i wouldnt dream of doing it behind his back or when he wasnt online meaning everyone would see my point only. There is no way he would have to get phonecalls etc saying have you seen what russ is saying about you etc.

I do stand by the points i made in this post and they were not a personal attack on anyone.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:07:58 AM by ariston » Logged

ariston

better lucky than good
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »

It's also a poll of why the posters of blonde came here originally, not a reflection on if they want the updates or not

imo obv yo

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »

just been reading a bit more, and the impression I am getting is that basically all the sites who are doing live updates are suffering in some way. thinking out loud, that would suggest to me that unless someone can come up with a uniquely brilliant business model, then they are really not viable. As I hinted at in my last post the only I can see it being viable is by getting other people/companies to pay for your product (updates) directly. Effectively then you become the big daddy in the updating world, which may just make the whole thing viable. It also becomes more viable for others, because they will then pay a flat fee for your updates, rather than travel/hotels/exps/wages to keep their own people on.

one other thing I was thinking about is, if one of these business gurus came in and asked for a mission statement, what would you say that blonde poker was ? It may appear to the casual observer that it is trying to be too many things, and as a result not concentrating on one main area.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Card_Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2009, 01:21:39 AM »

hate to say this but I am sure a lot of the readers on here will agree. Without live updates you will go the way of poker trillion. They are the number one reason people come here. Ok they may not generate revenue directly but without them you will never get any new players onto your card room and unique user hits to your site will drop massively which will effect the banner advertising revenue (be it pay per click/affiliate or direct sponsorship).

letting snoops and no flops go imo will prove to be the biggest mistake blonde have ever made as you have rightly said they both ARE blonde. God help you if awop or any other firm snap them up as they are both updating gods and huge assets.

I am not trying to inflame things here as I am sure this really hurts you to do but by letting these two go I feel its only a matter of time before the last one to leave should please turn the lights out. Its a shame to see but if AWOP/pokernews/cardplayer etc all run better business models then you then you should be looking at the people who run the business/generate revenue for the site before getting rid of the real assets- snoops and floppy always did their jobs very well and its obviously other peoples fault that blonde is in the state it is currently.

without live updates you are just another poker forum (of which there are many). Your updates were unique because of the ones who are now being punished due to other peoples failed business acumen.

Hi Steve,

You might agree, but the Post was made on a false premise. Most people do NOT come here for the Live Updates - only 25% do. See here......

In reality, it was just a thinly veiled attack on Tighty, later admitted by the Poster, who was nursing a grievance following the ban-stick some years ago.

We will NEVER do a "Poker Trillion", because we are honest.  And that's exactly why we did what we did.

Hi Tony, i am in good heart thank you for asking, i have now read all of this thread and agree with you that needs must, it just seems such a shame to loose (even for the short term) a commodity like Snoops.

I have been in business for the last 20 years, i have never made anyone redundant nor have i had to lay anyone off during this period, even if it meant struggling through some very difficult times. How would you feel if Snoops was snapped up by one of the other sites?.... Don't answer that as i already know the answer.

Business is business and you need to do what you think is best, hope you are well and manage to get through these very difficult times.

Ps. sorry to hear about the Poker Trillion sarga.

Steve Read.

turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2009, 01:25:55 AM »

It sucks that you have to take these measures, but if it's what has to be done, then so be it...

Feel bad for Snoopy and Floppy but I'm sure they understand.

I don't see why Blonde can't survive without the updates, although they are cool they certainly aren't a main reason I spend time on here...

Sorry, I'm reading through this thread slowly and periodically commenting as I see fit.

The problem is, it's not just the updates that are going.

I know that the forum is what all the regulars love most about blonde, but how do new members find blonde? Blonde is incredibly, impressively Google-able. When I have searched pretty much anything European-poker-related when writing articles and so on for other sites, blonde has come up on the first page of search results. If you google my name, the first thing you get is my Myspace page, and the second thing you get is my Blondepedia page. That's awesome. Getting this kind of visibility for a site requires a massive amount of maintenance work putting up articles at least once a day, badgering people for interviews and such, and being frankly anally retentive with the thoroughness of the results page, and with Snoopy gone it will all vanish in a matter of months. If people can't easily stumble on to blonde, there will be no new sign ups. The photo galleries will no longer magically appear on the site, because Snoopy spent endless tedious hours putting up all the photos, one by one. Although with no updates, there won't be any new photos anyway.

The forum will of course not be affected immediately, but keeping this visibility up is incredibly important. If the visibility goes, the forum can do nothing but stagnate. If people can't find blonde, they won't sign up to blonde.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you Dana but I don't think there was any other choice at this time. i think everyones hoping this is just temporary.

But there is no temporary with losing that level of visibility. It will tail off very rapidly and once it's gone, it's gone, and then you have to start again from scratch. Some sites pay hundreds of thousands for that kind of Google visibility. I think throwing it away for the sake of a grand a month is a massive mistake.

correct me if im wrong please but id just like to get my facts right here.

dont get me wrong i think blondepedia is a fantastic creation but are you telling me it costs £1000 a month alone to maintain and keep up to date?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:27:53 AM by inthebelly » Logged

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:36 AM »

A lot of people seem to be unaware that the updaters already do work elsewhere.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2009, 01:29:48 AM »

yes they do and that blonde helped these updaters grow into the excellent poker journaliists they are today.

danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »

It sucks that you have to take these measures, but if it's what has to be done, then so be it...

I don't see why Blonde can't survive without the updates, although they are cool they certainly aren't a main reason I spend time on here...

Sorry, I'm reading through this thread slowly and periodically commenting as I see fit.

I know that the forum is what all the regulars love most about blonde, but how do new members find blonde? Blonde is incredibly, impressively Google-able. When I have searched pretty much anything European-poker-related when writing articles and so on for other sites, blonde has come up on the first page of search results. If you google my name, the first thing you get is my Myspace page, and the second thing you get is my Blondepedia page. That's awesome. Getting this kind of visibility for a site requires a massive amount of maintenance work putting up articles at least once a day, badgering people for interviews and such, and being frankly anally retentive with the thoroughness of the results page, and with Snoopy gone it will all vanish in a matter of months. If people can't easily stumble on to blonde, there will be no new sign ups. The photo galleries will no longer magically appear on the site, because Snoopy spent endless tedious hours putting up all the photos, one by one. Although with no updates, there won't be any new photos anyway.

The forum will of course not be affected immediately, but keeping this visibility up is incredibly important. If the visibility goes, the forum can do nothing but stagnate. If people can't find blonde, they won't sign up to blonde.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you Dana but I don't think there was any other choice at this time. i think everyones hoping this is just temporary.

But there is no temporary with losing that level of visibility. It will tail off very rapidly and once it's gone, it's gone, and then you have to start again from scratch. Some sites pay hundreds of thousands for that kind of Google visibility. I think throwing it away for the sake of a grand a month is a massive mistake.

dont get me wrong i think blondepedia is a fantastic creation but are you telling me it costs £1000 a month alone to maintain and keep up to date?

No, that's what Snoopy costs. He does a bunch of stuff.
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:42 AM »

No, that's what Snoopy costs. He does a bunch of stuff.

thanks dana appreciate your reply thought it was a little excessive for that alone.

Card_Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2009, 01:34:11 AM »

Until i read this thread i was not aware of this, but i still think that Snoops will be an enormous (even if temporary) loss to Blonde, but as i said.... needs must.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:14 AM »

Hi Steve,

Hi Tony, i am in good heart thank you for asking, i have now read all of this thread and agree with you that needs must, it just seems such a shame to loose (even for the short term) a commodity like Snoops.

I have been in business for the last 20 years, i have never made anyone redundant nor have i had to lay anyone off during this period, even if it meant struggling through some very difficult times. How would you feel if Snoops was snapped up by one of the other sites?.... Don't answer that as i already know the answer.Business is business and you need to do what you think is best, hope you are well and manage to get through these very difficult times.

Steve Read.

it just seems such a shame to loose (even for the short term) a commodity like Snoops.

Despite what has been implied by others, what makes you think I do NOT think it's a shame? And he's not a commodity, he's a good friend, who has been totally loyal to me, & to whom I have been totally loyal, in ways (mutually) you could not even begin to imagine. What would you say if we tried to keep him, but ended up grimming him for his wages? That'd it'd be unfair? Yes, it would.

How would you feel if Snoops was snapped up by one of the other sites?.... Don't answer that as i already know the answer

Do you? Really? So you already know he already works for other Poker sites. With our blessing. (Like he needs it). Regularly?  And good luck to him, so he should. And if he departed us permanently, well that'd be a very sad blow for me. But I'd rather he left, & went elsewhere, than I risked grimming a top man for his wages.

If we did not pay his wages, & knocked him, I know exactly who the first ones would be to tell me I'm out of order.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2009, 01:38:07 AM »

are the articles that are regularly on the homepage by the likes of snoopy exclusive to blonde or are they written for other sites or magazines and just reproduced on blondes homepage?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2009, 01:40:49 AM »

Until i read this thread i was not aware of this, but i still think that Snoops will be an enormous (even if temporary) loss to Blonde, but as i said.... needs must.

Err, so do I. It's a statement of the obvious really Steve. Who in their right mind would NOT think it sad?   

For the avoidance of doubt, ALL our Updaters, I believe, Freelance to other Poker Sites from time to time. It's a freelance trade, & everyone in it is Freelance.

Blonde do not "directly employ" anyone, everyone is a Freelance "sub-contractor" so far as I'm aware.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:42:42 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Card_Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:16 AM »

Hi Steve,

I have been in business for the last 20 years, i have never made anyone redundant nor have i had to lay anyone off during this period, even if it meant struggling through some very difficult times. How would you feel if Snoops was snapped up by one of the other sites?.... Don't answer that as i already know the answer.Business is business and you need to do what you think is best, hope you are well and manage to get through these very difficult times.

Steve Read.

it just seems such a shame to loose (even for the short term) a commodity like Snoops.

Despite what has been implied by others, what makes you think I do NOT think it's a shame? And he's not a commodity, he's a good friend, who has been totally loyal to me, & to whom I have been totally loyal, in ways (mutually) you could not even begin to imagine. What would you say if we tried to keep him, but ended up grimming him for his wages? That'd it'd be unfair? Yes, it would.

How would you feel if Snoops was snapped up by one of the other sites?.... Don't answer that as i already know the answer

Do you? Really? So you already know he already works for other Poker sites. With our blessing. (Like he needs it). Regularly?  And good luck to him, so he should. And if he departed us permanently, well that'd be a very sad blow for me. But I'd rather he left, & went elsewhere, than I risked grimming a top man for his wages.

If we did not pay his wages, & knocked him, I know exactly who the first ones would be to tell me I'm out of order.

Although we have not allway's seen eye to eye Tony i am actually agreeing with you here, my written words sometimes let me down, i am not as literally gifted as the likes of yourself and Snoops, which is why he'll be such a loss!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: