blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Greyhound Racing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 ... 258 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greyhound Racing Thread  (Read 498562 times)
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: January 01, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »

Let's see if we can get the Derby winner this year.

First up for me is Bruisers Bullet @ 33/1, still available with a couple. Just won the Coral Olympic, Mark Wallis has said that the Derby is his target so only injury will keep him from it. Towcester is his home track. Solid, improving dog. Nice one to get the book started.

Will pop back over the months as I place more bets.

If you are interested in dog racing then WH have a site which will show quite a lot of it.

http://www.bettingshop.tv/shop/

Goodluck Bruisers.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »

Arbboy put this one on TfT a few months ago, and then added Roxholme Nidge.

I'm not a Dogs bettor, so really can't add more than this.

GL Bruisers & Nidge!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/sport-columnists/mildenhall-closure-evokes-memories-of-other-much-missed-venues/316055

Good article by the Racing Post editor regarding the recent dog tracks closures and the legendary tracks of the past.

Made me wonder how many tracks the like of Ralph attended at some point in their punting careers going way back.

My list of lifetime tracks i have attended at least once in person is:

Belle Vue
Sheffield
Monmore
Perry Barr
Peterborough
Milton Keynes
Hove
Portsmouth
Wimbledon
Crayford
Romford
Towcester

Incredibly never went to Hall Green before it closed or Nottingham even though i lived with 50 miles of them both for the vast majority of my life.  Forgot the newest one.  Towcester the home of the Derby.

Horse Racing track lists would be interesting as well.  Tougher to remember i think all of them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:20:50 PM by arbboy » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 18, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »

I can recall visiting these, none of which no longer exist or cater for Greyhound Racing;

Hendon

Haringey

Hackney

Wembley

Wimbledon

Slough

Watford

Walthamstow

Walthamstow was easily the best, & Slough, though small & very "sharp" was a grand little track. The Derby was held at Wembley.

For atmo, nothing could beat Hackney on a Saturday morning.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/sport-columnists/mildenhall-closure-evokes-memories-of-other-much-missed-venues/316055

Good article by the Racing Post editor regarding the recent dog tracks closures and the legendary tracks of the past.

Made me wonder how many tracks the like of Ralph attended at some point in their punting careers going way back.

My list of lifetime tracks i have attended at least once in person is:

Belle Vue
Sheffield
Monmore
Perry Barr
Peterborough
Milton Keynes
Hove
Portsmouth
Wimbledon
Crayford
Romford
Towcester

Incredibly never went to Hall Green before it closed or Nottingham even though i lived with 50 miles of them both for the vast majority of my life.  Forgot the newest one.  Towcester the home of the Derby.

Horse Racing track lists would be interesting as well.  Tougher to remember i think all of them.

Just London and it's suburbs for starters, Tikay's probably been to these and few more besides:

Park Royal
Stamford Bridge
Wembley
White City
Wimbledon
Hackney
Walthamstow
Catford
New Cross
Harringay
Hendon
West Ham
Slough (which I'd forgotten until reading teeks's post)

There were 33 greyhound tracks in Greater London at one time and when Wimbledon closed last year there were none.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 18, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »

I can recall visiting these, none of which no longer exist or cater for Greyhound Racing;

Hendon

Haringey

Hackney

Wembley

Wimbledon

Slough

Watford

Walthamstow

Walthamstow was easily the best, & Slough, though small & very "sharp" was a grand little track. The Derby was held at Wembley.

I can only remember The Derby being at White City but it may have been at Wembly before that.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

Hendon

Haringey

Hackney

Wembley

Wimbledon

Slough

Watford

Walthamstow

I can only remember The Derby being at White City but it may have been at Wembly before that.

No, you are correct, I was thinking of White City & somehow confused it with Wembley.

I forgot Naps Ollerton, too.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 18, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Ugh, Ralph has prompted me, I did Park Royal, Catford & Stamford Bridge, too. 

I'm only listing - or trying to - those that have closed.

Used to go 6 nights a week, plus afternoons at Watford & Saturday morning at Hackney Wick.

Almost always stuck a bet on before going, 112 x 1p Rev FC doubles, or if I'd had it off, would make that 5p or even 10p. Usually traps 1 & 6, 1 & 2 or 5 & 6.

A life wasted. Fun though, at the time.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 18, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »

what an era that was for dog racing.  Never to be seen again.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 18, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »

Was at White City in 84 for the last derby - couldn't pick a winner all night - had a fiver left for the last race - and left it to my Mrs to pick - shock 50/1 winner if my memory serves me right.

Also at Hackney the last night before it shut - they had spent a fortune refurbishing it - if memory serves me right no more than 10 people in the restaurant and less than a 100 punters.

Walthamstow  with out doubt the best venue for the vibe always ram packed - nightclub afterwards.

Harringay and Wembley, Catford and Crayford about the same both a bit like Swindon is now though I think Swindon has come on leaps and bounds - interesting that I stand to be corrected but in the 50s attendances at white city were over 100,000 how times have changed,
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »

Was at White City in 84 for the last derby - couldn't pick a winner all night - had a fiver left for the last race - and left it to my Mrs to pick - shock 50/1 winner if my memory serves me right.

Also at Hackney the last night before it shut - they had spent a fortune refurbishing it - if memory serves me right no more than 10 people in the restaurant and less than a 100 punters.

Walthamstow  with out doubt the best venue for the vibe always ram packed - nightclub afterwards.

Harringay and Wembley, Catford and Crayford about the same both a bit like Swindon is now though I think Swindon has come on leaps and bounds - interesting that I stand to be corrected but in the 50s attendances at white city were over 100,000 how times have changed,

Close - from Wiki;

White City Stadium was principally used for greyhound racing for the majority of its existence. The first greyhound meeting took place on 20 June 1927. The stadium became the Mecca of greyhound racing with tens of thousands of spectators attending meetings on a regular basis, particularly in the 1940s, and 1950s. A crowd of 92,000 attended the 1939 English Greyhound Derby final.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »

Walthamstow  with out doubt the best venue for the vibe always ram packed - nightclub afterwards.

Close - from Wiki;

White City Stadium was principally used for greyhound racing for the majority of its existence. The first greyhound meeting took place on 20 June 1927. The stadium became the Mecca of greyhound racing with tens of thousands of spectators attending meetings on a regular basis, particularly in the 1940s, and 1950s. A crowd of 92,000 attended the 1939 English Greyhound Derby final.

One of my favourite things about White City was the Eel Bar on the cheap side opposite the winning line - it was like a mini-Manzies with hot eels mash and liquor or jellied eels with a splash of chili vinegar which was my favourite - I used to walk all the way around the stadium from the 7s/6's into the 4s/ side via a smartly uniformed commissaire who issued me with a passout just so I could get my bowl of jellied eels before returning to the winning-line side and usually doing my dosh, frequently to Tony Morris who was top man there and whom I first encountered at Park Royal.

Tony Morris was a proper bookmaker who I'm sure Tikay must recall as Park Royal was his back-yard as a lad.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:11:07 PM by tikay » Logged

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 03, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »

GL Bruisers & Nidge!

Nidge out of this year's derby with injury.  Trainer stated only 50/50 whether the dog races again.  Part owned by Martin Green i think. 
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 03, 2018, 06:33:58 PM »

GL Bruisers & Nidge!

Nidge out of this year's derby with injury.  Trainer stated only 50/50 whether the dog races again.  Part owned by Martin Green i think. 

Disgusting that most bookies still have it in the betting.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »

This was wrote on Mark Wallis' weekly newsletter on his website. For today if anyone is interested:

"At last a nice winner as our recommendation Boylesports Duke won well at Romford at a nice 5/2. The Lawrence Jones Festival at Monmore tomorrow takes centre stage this week and some hugely competitive racing sees some of our stars in action. Bruisers Bullet faces a tricky draw and could be a bit on the short side. For me our best drawn dog of the day is Kilcree Diamond and rates nap material, hopefully there will be some value to be had in the morning prices, keep an eye on the going though in the first few races as any bias against the inside runners would mean I would take an early cash out if it's favouring the wide runners."

KILCREE DIAMOND - 5 pts win - Monmore 4.58 - Wednesday

I've had a look and it's currently 3/1 with Coral (Lads 5/2onky other show)
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 ... 258 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: