blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 177809 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »

So I take it Apple cider is considered to be evil as well then?

That of the fruit juice variety is definitely off the menu.  Will enquire regarding the alcoholic variety.  Can't be too careful when dealing with the Duke's taste buds. 

Personally, I was always a big fan of the latter.  However, I've gone off the stuff with a wee bit.  Shocking - I know.  Don't ask why.  I wish I knew.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »

the devils spawn and as for mixed fruit cider don't get me started

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: September 06, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »

Good man. Fruit and alcohol, like fruit and chocolate, should never be mixed.

Appletini.......grrrr

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »

You've no idea how lucky you are he's at work and answering from his mobile right now.  Given a proper keyboard all hell might break loose.   

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »

PS  Mixed berry cider is abso gorgeous!!!  (in small doses)

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

What a crazy few days it's been! 

Brian got Tralee in the first round of uni offers.  He was happy enough just getting a spot, but you could tell he was gutted to miss out on his first request for Cork.  I was quietly delighted because it meant he was closer to home.  But then the second round offers came out last Friday.  And he got his first choice of uni and subject.  Yep...Brian is off to Cork. 

It's an odd one.  I really am so very happy for him.  The kid worked his socks off to get this far.  It's brilliant that all the hard work has paid off so well for him.  Never realised how hard it would be to cut the cord and let go though. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 08, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »

With Tralee we had everything in place or thereabouts.  Granted, it helps having relations in politics living in Tralee who know all the right people in the area.  All the right connections to make sure he was well sorted.  Not so much for Cork though.  

We got the news of Cork on Friday evening.  Just in time for all official offices to be closed...until Monday.  Registration in Cork on Tuesday.  Marvellous.  No accommodation sorted, no clue where his birth cert has gone off to (and they want a copy) and no clue if they'll even take him without that copy.  No pressure then.

I spent the week-end researching mad.  Narrowed down accommodation by Sunday afternoon, but there was still the problem of the missing birth cert.  Wouldn't be a problem if he was born in Ireland as we could sort it Monday morning.  However, being born in New York City makes it a jumbo size issue.  Good luck getting that sorted in 24 hours.  That's when a wee light clicked on.

Monday morning I phoned his old school.  "Any chance ye saved a copy of Brian's birth cert?"  "Oh no, we'd have no reason to save those."  So I went on to explain our predicament.  She said she'd have a look in his file, but I shouldn't count on it being there.  I wasn't.  Especially as she didn't seem too interested in helping.  I was already planning the plea in my head for the uni crowd when she phoned back.  "You are one very lucky woman.  I've no idea why, apart from maybe because it was of a different country, but we saved his.  I'll make extra copies for you and post them this morning."  "The extra copies would be brilliant, but save the stamp...I'm on my way."

All documents were put in order and placed 'just so' in a large brown envelope.  Passport, birth cert copies, reg forms...all to be fiercely guarded for fear of losing them.   Brian and I headed to Cork yesterday with the envelope.  First stop was uni registration.  We walked in to be greeted with, "Hi.  We'll take it from here."  "Sorry?"  "There's a parent's room upstairs with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits.  You can wait there until he's finished."  "But I have the............"  That's when I looked at Brian.  He was borderline terrified of having to do something so official on his own, but at the same time was mortified at the thought of being the only kid there with a Mom by his side.  He held out his hand...and I handed over the envelope.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:13:13 AM by Laxie » Logged

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: September 08, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »

I can still remember my first day at Uni (just, it was 19 years ago, ouch). The feeling of actually having to look after yourself without your parents looking over your shoulder for the first time is both invigorating and terrifying. I'm impressed with the Uni for the system - it gives a good start to independent uni life, but a back up of the parents being somewhere reasonably close for that first time. Good luck to the lad!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: September 08, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »

Well done to the man...and to you for letting go.

your little boy off to uni.....you must be

soo old.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »

I'll be fecking ancient by the time Sarah gets to uni.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »

Hey you,

€20 credit has just been sent to yer mobile so you should be good to go.  Now that ya have my email address, you can avoid daily calls from yer mother : ) by sending me the odd note letting me know how yer getting on.

Love you

Hugs,

me

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »

It's official.  My baby has flown the coop.  I'm just home from a day of moving him into his new flat.  Sigh.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »

"Hi Mom,  Yeah I got the credit there and I will send you an e-mail every now and then.  Will talk to you later.. And yeah stop ringing me every 5 minutes"

"Dear Brian,  To be fair...it was over an hour since my last call.  xx"

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 09, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »

Had planned to do a grand long update, but I'm moody atm.  Can't believe how moody in fact.  Never in a million years did I think this whole 'growing up' thing would hurt so much.  I miss him already. 

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: September 10, 2010, 07:28:20 AM »

New series for the Beeb; Grumpy old Yanks?

Snap out of it and post dammit!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: