blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2543719 times)
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

there's still a massive risk though.

If Alex did it for 3/4 years and then went broke, bright or not and degree or not, who will want to employ him?

Done properly the risk (of ruin) is infintecimally small. A good player has no reason to ever go broke when the online games go as small as they do.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

Enjoying this so far my fellow Diary writer.

Explain to a non posh person what Prose means. I haven't got a clue.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »

If Alex did it for 3/4 years and then went broke, bright or not and degree or not, who will want to employ him?

True but I think a little differently being self employed for 30 years. Seems he's made his mind up so best of luck to him.

When do we find out what your new venture is Cos?  Grin

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »

Done properly the risk (of ruin) is infintecimally small. A good player has no reason to ever go broke when the online games go as small as they do.

Are you deluded DMorgan?

(Alex I'm only using you as an example here rather than being specific about you - you simply represent the aspiring young pro here).

Will Alex be able to feed a family after going on a downswing? I doubt the online games 'going as small as they do' is going to be of much help feeding the family and paying the mortage if he's grinding $25c50c or similar. That is if he can even get a mortgage without putting down money he doesn't have. I won't even start on healthcare, pensions etc.

£24k a year is fine and dandy for an early 20's young guy. But it becomes a bit more difficult when he's married and has his second kid. Then, who employs him? Or does every young pro, just crush, never go broke and live happily ever after?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »

True but I think a little differently being self employed for 30 years. Seems he's made his mind up so best of luck to him.

I hope Alex crushes, wins the world and this is all just small talk he looks back on with a smile.

Will tell you in person Kev - don't want it on the forum. Rather it was a private thing.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

Depending upon career choice, im sure any intelligent employer when presented with the facts that someone earnt 25k/year playing poker for 3 years will see its more than luck once explained

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »

Are you deluded DMorgan?

(Alex I'm only using you as an example here rather than being specific about you - you simply represent the aspiring young pro here).

Will Alex be able to feed a family after going on a downswing? I doubt the online games 'going as small as they do' is going to be of much help feeding the family and paying the mortage if he's grinding $25c50c or similar. That is if he can even get a mortgage without putting down money he doesn't have. I won't even start on healthcare, pensions etc.

£24k a year is fine and dandy for an early 20's young guy. But it becomes a bit more difficult when he's married and has his second kid. Then, who employs him? Or does every young pro, just crush, never go broke and live happily ever after?

Nobody was talking about families and mortgages. That obv comes in time and would require stakes a fair bit higher than 50/1 which will also come in time.

My point was simply that a good poker player should never go broke because with a good winrate and good bankroll management the risk of ruin is a tiny fraction of a percent which is true.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »

Are you deluded DMorgan?

Nobody was talking about families and mortgages. That obv comes in time and would require stakes a fair bit higher than 50/1 which will also come in time.

My point was simply that a good poker player should never go broke because with a good winrate and good bankroll management the risk of ruin is a tiny fraction of a percent which is true.

Wife's gonna be a mirrionare

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »

Enjoying this so far my fellow Diary writer.

Explain to a non posh person what Prose means. I haven't got a clue.

On a basic level I think it's just language, in normal sentences and paragraphs. ie. not poetry or something.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

I'm enjoying reading this Alex.

As a Dad with a son in his final year at UNI I would be very dissapointed if he gave it up to play poker. I suspect you hope to earn more than the £24k you have forecast as a UNI education esp in economics brings bigger rewards than that.

As a poker player who wished he had found poker at your age I wish you the best of luck. I believe if you're going to give something risky a go, do it whilst you are young and without commitments. If it doesn't work out no big deal. If it does brill.

Best of Luck.

Neil Channing said something similar to me (excuse the shameless name dropping). He said 30k a year is fine if the alternative was being a cleaner or dustbin man. But I disaster if you could be earning 80k+ with a degree etc.

I think two crucial points counter this. Firstly, I have "promotion" potential. I expect to move up stakes. Secondly, doing a job you love has a lot of life EV that you can't calculate. 50k a year being a poker pro > 100k a year investment banker imo.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »

Depending upon career choice, im sure any intelligent employer when presented with the facts that someone earnt 25k/year playing poker for 3 years will see its more than luck once explained

+1 (i hope!)

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »

I hope Alex crushes, wins the world and this is all just small talk he looks back on with a smile.

Will tell you in person Kev - don't want it on the forum. Rather it was a private thing.

Fair enough I'm just being a nosey barsteward.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

I wouldn't over estimate what people with degrees earn!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »

I wouldn't over estimate what people with degrees earn!

they talking posh schooling and London graduate job salary! surely.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

Good stuff Alex.

Do I know you btw? Can you post a pic or something?
thinks tom may be dissapointed that the pics are not as asthetically pleasing as alex hottewell

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: