blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 1313 1314 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2561564 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19635 on: March 03, 2023, 06:13:49 AM »

So I'm about halfway through my 19 day trip to LA and it's been a real rollercoaster. Despite winning a tournament and 27k on hustler, I found myself in the red a few days later. A big win followed, then an equally big loss and I started today about even again and starting to think to myself "hmm tough gig these days".

I'm playing in very mediocre games. 10/20/40 with a lot of regs and the recs aren't bad either. I'm happy playing the games as I believe I have an edge over the regs, but I'm learning to shift my mindset in a few spots. For example, in soft games I can keep playing when stuck and playing my C game because it's still enough to win. In a mediocre game, any edge I had is surely negative on my C game.

I'm believing more and more in momentum and confidence flow. Nobody ever folds to my 3bets when I'm stuck but they fold a lot when I'm running hot. And in which situation do I 3bet more? When I'm stuck of course. Chasing. Wanting to play big pots. It's so dumb. Even recs pick up on it and start 4betting me I swear Cheesy

I quit a game last night when I recognised this (though one buyin later than I should have probably). And as my strategies get more dialled in, I can actually more accurately pinpoint when I'm deviating from them and ask myself why. Do I have a good reason for 3betting this combo 100% instead of randomising? Is this a full frequency bluff or should I randomise x%? Why did I not consider turning this herocall into a bluff? With my shattered image, should I reign in the bluffs in this spot? Did I overbet because it's the correct play or because I got greedy because I'm stuck?

Anyway, I bounced back today with a nice win but game broke early and am thinking about heading to Vegas in search of greener pastures for the remainder of the trip. There's a juicy comp at the Wynn and me old pal Simon Deadman might let me play his private 100/100 game in Bobbys room...You read that right yes.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19636 on: March 03, 2023, 09:20:38 AM »

Lovely to see how you've progressed through the ranks Alex. And good to know that even serious players have confidence issues when the cards are running poorly.

If you see them, please give Mr & Mrs Deadman my fond regards.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19637 on: March 04, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »

Loving this revival, and great to see an insight into the top level games etc.

Hope Vegas goes well, mate!

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19638 on: March 04, 2023, 03:24:29 PM »

WILD session in the books. Flights to Vegas were about $400 Friday compared to $180 Saturday, which is probably what made me stay... I ended up playing one of the best public games I've ever played...It started so well, I can't even remember how but I was 8k up in no time and was feeling quite cheery when I made the classic error of telling Viktorija it was going well.

Then I played two of eventually four big pots with a young Japonese chap. First one was $15k QQ vs KK, I call the 4bet and xjam over a big cbet on 966fd. Unavoidable.

Second one I open to $100 in the cutoff, he 3bets the BTN to 300, a rec cold calls from the bb. I call. and the rec leads for 500, I call and Japan calls. and the rec checks. I have an interesting bet here - I can of course get called by worse in either spots, protect or get value vs draws and I can potentially bluff Japan off better on the river. I bet $1200 and only Japan calls.

River is and I feel this is a must bluff card. I have advantage in the 66/77/88/87 region already, and now 98/99/T9 region, plus I unblock clubs that autofold. Not saying he can't ever 3bet these hands, but certainly he's more overpair heavy than me and less likely to have these types of hands. Allin for $4.6k and he tank calls 99. Unfortunate - wasn't trying to get him to fold that.

So I'm -10k and I tell Viktorija again about our recent change in fortunes. I suppose it's quite funny how after 8 years of being together and 13 years playing professional poker, I'm still so invested in every session that I'm updating her how I'm doing multiple times per day Cheesy She goes to sleep and wishes my luck turns around. I'm on my own now...

I rebuy 10 and get it up to 20 in one way or another. A hollywood film producer tried a wild bluff on me when I had top two was probably the highlight. Then the dream scenario.

The game has been kicked up to 20/40/80. Open $200 BTN, Japan 3bets $1050 from the SB, I call. Flop Two Clubs and he cbets $2400. Over pot flop cbet...kinky. I'll see it. Turn . Uh oh. I was set over setted for $20k pot a few days ago like this where the villain turns top set after I'd flopped it. He checks and I probably made a mistake with my sizing here but went for half pot, $3k. Pot was $6k and I had $17k back, I probably want to make it two even bets accross turn and river so around 80% 80%. He calls and the river is a nice and he checks, I shove $14k into $12k and he tanks for a verrrry long time. "I don't think I can fold this" is music to my ears, and he does indeed call and show Aces. Lovely stuff.

Then probably the wildest hand of the trip.

Every 30 mins we play a double board bomb pot where everyone puts in $100 and you get two cards each, and two flops are dealt and action starts after the button. If you reach a river showdown, half the pot is for each board. It's really hard to make good hands on both boards and it becomes a very tricky game of working out whether you want to PUSH (get people to fold so you scoop when you are only strong on one side) or PULL (have one side locked up, let's drag as many people along as possible). Sometimes you might flop a pair on both, which (unless the boards are very similar) will very rarely get scooped heads up, but can easily get scooped 3 ways. These are the trickiest spots where you check raise for example to try and get it heads up but get two callers.

Anyway like I said, very hard to have two big hands on both boards....

I have in the hole and the boards are
1)
2) three clubs

I'm cutoff and everyone checks to me. I felt like a check was good given the high likelihood everyone before me folds to a bet when I have all the nines...people tend to bet Ax themselves if they have it also. Probably should bet though, two many gutshots can ping on the turn on board 2. Good job my man Japan on the BTN takes a $100 stab into $800. One caller and now I begin the levelling war. Big checkraise to $1200. He calls other guy folds. Turns:

1)
2) three clubs

I check again. I felt he'd bet Ax 100%. My notes on this guy are simply "Overplays massively in bomb pots". So that's handy Cheesy He bets only $600 into $3.3k. He's playing $13k ish. I have 3 options. 1) Raise to $4k and shove river for $9k. 2) Call and check shove river. 3) Allin now. I think 1 is fine, probably best theoretically. 2 is bad. Too likely he checks back river. I end up going for 3 against this specfic player because I thought he'd level himself into calling if he had Ace with a pair on the bottom board thinking that he can't be getting scooped. Make it look like I'm equity blasting him off one side. He hates folding when he thinks he can't be getting scooped. But maths wise he's calling about $13k to get half of $3.3k plus his $600 back, because he can never scoop vs any hand that I can be jamming. So $13k to get back $2.3. Very unattractive. He does call with (thinking that he only loses to 99, A9 or QQ) and we actually have to fade outs on both, but thankfully we do and from -10, we're now +35 which is pretty much where I end up.

I play 14 hours in total and the cherry on top is I get offered a free ride to Vegas tomorrow (today) from this hilarious Asian lady who was in the game. Buzzing! What a rollercoaster this trip has been so far!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 03:26:41 PM by cambridgealex » Logged

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #19639 on: March 04, 2023, 05:43:50 PM »

I love reading these Alex even more so when you win.

Run well in Vegas.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #19640 on: March 04, 2023, 08:18:26 PM »

A free ride in her PJ?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19641 on: March 04, 2023, 09:17:42 PM »

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19642 on: March 05, 2023, 12:41:13 AM »

What a write up that is Alex. Exhilarating even just to read.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19643 on: March 05, 2023, 01:31:29 AM »

Run well in Vegas.

+1

Hope the traffic wasn't too bad!

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #19644 on: March 07, 2023, 07:00:25 PM »

Run well in Vegas.

So good to have you back and allowing us to live vicariously through your write ups.
Enjoy!

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19645 on: March 08, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »

Glad you're enjoying the rivival guys! I am too. Enjoying a return to form also.

I have squeaky bum time scheduled in for 12pm local time: Day 3 of the Wynn Million Championship Event, 157 left, 134 paid, $8.4k min cash and $650k ftw. I have 22bbs which is bottom 20. Superb structure 90 min levels, which means the bubble could last a little while. And a 2.5buyin min cash means I can't do much without a big hand. Plan is AA > AKo hand one to ease the tension. Updates on pokernews.

Been enjoying playing cash at the Wynn, from 10/20 to 25/50/100. I've been torn between locking up a nice winning trip by playing soft 10/20 or pressing by playing tougher but bigger. Mainly opting for the former, especially on the days off between tournament days, when it can mess with your mindset.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #19646 on: March 08, 2023, 06:43:47 PM »

Glad you're enjoying the rivival guys! I am too. Enjoying a return to form also.

I have squeaky bum time scheduled in for 12pm local time: Day 3 of the Wynn Million Championship Event, 157 left, 134 paid, $8.4k min cash and $650k ftw. I have 22bbs which is bottom 20. Superb structure 90 min levels, which means the bubble could last a little while. And a 2.5buyin min cash means I can't do much without a big hand. Plan is AA > AKo hand one to ease the tension. Updates on pokernews.

Been enjoying playing cash at the Wynn, from 10/20 to 25/50/100. I've been torn between locking up a nice winning trip by playing soft 10/20 or pressing by playing tougher but bigger. Mainly opting for the former, especially on the days off between tournament days, when it can mess with your mindset.

Good luck for the tourney.
The old adage of you win money from bad players, rather than clashing with good ones fits well here, particularly as you have tourneys on the go too.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #19647 on: March 08, 2023, 07:53:56 PM »

Soft 10/20 reminds me of a Blonde legend!

Good Luck in the tourney Alex.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19648 on: March 08, 2023, 08:22:36 PM »

Wasn't it a 'Very soft 5/10 game at the Venetian', iirc?

Good luck today, Alex!

edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #19649 on: March 08, 2023, 11:03:43 PM »

Sending some Gascoigne Rungood - the world’s second most valuable currency after the elixir of life.

Allez!!
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 1313 1314 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: