blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 484672 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »

de gea, fabio,rafael, evans, ferdinand, evra, giggs, scholes, carrick, nani to an extent,  barry, milner, kolo toure, ballotelli, aguero, tevez, berbatov, welbeck.

All of the above and im sure there is more are players who i either 1/ wouldnt be frightened about and think we could handle or 2/players that are vunerable and that we could exploit.

If you look at the arsenal team who were undefeated, the chelsea team who ruled for years, the  man united team of the 90s, you would really sturggle to name even a handful that could be compared to the above.

There are so many different sides from premiership history who would have won the league this year.

PS - "the chelsea team who ruled for years"?? really?

Like Blackburn before them, and City after them, the influx of megacash at Chelsea created an illusion and a fleeting period of success. Say what you like about Manchester United, but our success hasn't been bought by external money. Quite the contrary in recent years with the Glazers taking money out of the club.

PPS - "There are so many different sides from premiership history who would have won the league this year." True.
Most of them were Manchester United sides too though.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »

de gea, fabio,rafael, evans, ferdinand, evra, giggs, scholes, carrick, nani to an extent,  barry, milner, kolo toure, ballotelli, aguero, tevez, berbatov, welbeck.

All of the above and im sure there is more are players who i either 1/ wouldnt be frightened about and think we could handle or 2/players that are vunerable and that we could exploit.

If you look at the arsenal team who were undefeated, the chelsea team who ruled for years, the  man united team of the 90s, you would really sturggle to name even a handful that could be compared to the above.

There are so many different sides from premiership history who would have won the league this year.

Chelsea team that ruled for years, wtf, when was this? lol.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 09, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »

PS - "the chelsea team who ruled for years"?? really?

Like Blackburn before them, and City after them, the influx of megacash at Chelsea created an illusion and a fleeting period of success. Say what you like about Manchester United, but our success hasn't been bought by external money. Quite the contrary in recent years with the Glazers taking money out of the club.

PPS - "There are so many different sides from premiership history who would have won the league this year." True.
Most of them were Manchester United sides too though.

Well said.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 09, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »

This isn't meant as an insult but Chelsea/Arsenal/Man City all contributed to their own downfalls. I can't remember too many 'great' Man U performances but what they've done better (perhaps more so than any other season) is 'just enough'. So many games where Man U squeezed out results and when we played you in January and it looked (and I would say still looks) as though you have no midfield and are miles off the pace in European terms but the mentality has never wavered and is what got you through.

I guess what I'm saying is that all the title contenders have gone backwards this year (with the exception of City, who've moved forward obviously, but still with numerous and fatal flaws) so it's a case of Man U as being the best of a bad lot (in relative terms - it's a very weak Premiership this year imo).

I hope no-one takes that as a dig, but when you compare the top teams to Barca etc...no-one looks good enough. But congrats and everything, coming back from that 6-1 defeat to City and the big points deficit obvious means you deserve it. You definitely need new central midfielder(s) and a striker though, maybe even a new central defender to go with Vidic.

Love this thread, but then again I would. Quick point, you seem to forget what we did to Arsenal, ok it's a while back, and kinda overshadowed by what the bitters did to us a while later but hey, don't forget it please.

I'll add now that i haven't been to Old Trafford since the glaziers too over and started asset stripping our club in a very sneaky way. So to get my fix of live football, it's off to gigg lane and the wonderful team that is FC United Of Manchester. I'll always be a United fan, just not giving my money to the glaziers, never. I miss Old trafford, but won't go back for that reason alone, not till the robbing yanks are gone (however that might happen). The glaziers are the reason we are not up there with Barca and Madrid, we've spent less money than the majority of premier league clubs over the last few years, why because they've robbed us of more money than the bitters have spent on players. The premier league has suffered as a whole too, but that's a long and twisting argument, that has no clear answer, and I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of it.

What has shone through is Sir Alex, the backbone he rebuilt after we got rid of that piss head Atkinson and his squads love a beer or two, or ten. The team spirit, the never give up attitude, and the seemingly endless flow of new talent coming through. Of course this has been a MUFC trait since before I was born, and with players like Ole and Scholes moving into the reserve and youth team set ups it's a reason the club have survived and continued to florish in such tough conditions (in comparison to other top clubs around Europe with the spending power).

We've not won number 20 yet, and I'll never do a Keegan and start celebrating too soon. Facebook today has pissed me off, so  any plastic reds jumping about like we've won it, great day for the red side of Manchester, not lighting the victory blunt just yet.

To those that said Citeh lost it, they didn't lose it, they've got 15 more points than they had at this time last year, they've just shown they're not good enough to win it, and hopefully that won't change in the next six games. We never do it the easy way, and knowing that I'll not be celebrating till it's in the bag, but will say we've done everything right so far since xmas and that is why we are winning, not so much that citeh have fuct it up, you cant win the premier league in December, April maybe. :-)

On all the poker forums I've been on this is the first I've seen a decent football thread on MUFC, haven't got the time to read it all, but read some comments that are clearly from true football fans. blonde delivers. Top thread.

Great post. Post more please.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:43 PM »

the comments about man u not spending money is such  a myth?

Almost everyone in your team cost ovr 10m and alot of players over 20m. When was the last time you sold a player for over 10m? Last time you sold a player over 20m? Also probably have top 3 wage budget in the league.

Give pards 10x your net spend and im sure the gap woyld be alotttttttt closer.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

Almost everyone in your team cost ovr 10m and alot of players over 20m. When was the last time you sold a player for over 10m? Last time you sold a player over 20m? Also probably have top 3 wage budget in the league.

found this http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/2006-2011.html

net transfer spend would put Manchester Utd 8th
but even gross spend would put them in 5th

Obviously it shows they have money available (ldo) I think the case is more that they can make good use of their resources, as opposed to some others who have just tried to solve a problem by spending more.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

I've never said we don't spend money. But the money we spend is self-generated. Not funds from a rich owner.

Give pards 10x our net spend in one go?  That hasn't worked out well for Mancini has it? Nor the half dozen who followed the Special One at Chelsea.

Manchester United have built their way to their current position, just as Liverpool did back in the day.

Other teams have flirted with success, NUFC in the Keegan era for one but none have had the keystone that is SAF to get them through the next step.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »

Manchester United, regrettably, are genuinely awesome. In terms of a narrow focus on the Prem League, they are peerless.

Team strength reduces, fk it, we'll win it anyway.

Other teams launching big coups, buying incred players, fk it, we'll bring back Scholes and win it again.

American owners in, mortgaging the future, don't understand the game, so fkn what, we'll win it again.

I hope Ferguson retires soon

sola virtus nobilitat
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

Sometimes the hardest thing in the world is to cross over the winning line. It happens so much in all sports and it's the amazing achievent  by fergie that since they blew the league to Leeds in 91-92 they have always finished the season well an punished other teams dithering.  Fergie winning the league this season would be incredible really, city were flying and they have ground them down and made them twitch with fear. Playing mind games with fergie was the final notice that they really were up shut creek! Fergie has proved he is too shrewd to not have plan B or C if needed unlike Mancini or AVB. The way he has used the older players and used his squad this season without ever been great (arsenal game apart) is the thing that separates goods managers to great ones. If CIty hadn't exploded then I really believe man utd would have found even a higher gear, but they haven't and they will still piss the league. Much prefer a team like man utd this season to win the league than city who I me have blown up because of the managers blind faith in certain players and the lack of ability to change tactics when needed.

I mean how much shit did utd defence get at the start of the season? Now look at their record? Without vidic, it's been solid, evens and Ferdinand if they keep fit should see utd bring home the bacon with 2-3 games left to play.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

Lol pleno sums up fickle fans. Give pardew 500 mill. U still wouldn't win anything. 2 seasons of relative success does not mean ur gonna rule the world.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »

Lol pleno sums up fickle fans. Give pardew 500 mill. U still wouldn't win anything. 2 seasons of relative success does not mean ur gonna rule the world.
You have to give credit to the team, Pardew and the toon army. Like Swansea and Stoke they have brightened up the premirship this season and despite wanting to see utd win every season i like the under dogs giving  Chelsea and Arsenal a run for their money.

I would like to see a return to former glory of Liverpool but what with King Kenny's management and the whole Suarez situation the are becoming a joke.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »

You have to give credit to the team, Pardew and the toon army. Like Swansea and Stoke  Norwich they have brightened up the premirship this season and despite wanting to see utd win every season i like the under dogs giving  Chelsea and Arsenal a run for their money.

I would like to see a return to former glory of Liverpool but what with King Kenny's management and the whole Suarez situation the are becoming a joke.

FYP

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »

You have to give credit to the team, Pardew and the toon army. Like Swansea and Stoke  Norwich they have brightened up the premirship this season and despite wanting to see utd win every season i like the under dogs giving  Chelsea and Arsenal a run for their money.

FYP
would you take Crouch back. Stoke more an underdog story than attractive football

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #793 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

FYP
would you take Crouch back. Stoke more an underdog story than attractive football

No.            Stoke are Premiership regulars , don't think they can be classed as underdogs anymore.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 09, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

Pardew has done well. But he did great at West Ham the first 2-3 seasons......

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: