blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 484677 times)
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »

Zaha having a medical at OT in the next 48 hours. Kinda the end Of Crystal Palace's remote dreams of Premiership football I'd say.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »

Zaha having a medical at OT in the next 48 hours. Kinda the end Of Crystal Palace's remote dreams of Premiership football I'd say.

He's staying at the club on loan so it makes no real difference.

The problem is the expectancy for Palace to be in the Prem has been blown way out of proportion. They had a good start, there are teams that do that every year, then dont make the playoffs. Brighton last year for example.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 24, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »

The answer to the goal keeping issue
http://newsthump.com/2013/01/24/sir-alex-ferguson-to-replace-de-gea-with-swansea-city-ball-boy/
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »

Ok I agree.

Would say Derby, Wolves and Ipswich suggestions were value and the others probably not! But I wasn't to be trusted as I wasn't set out as a value hunter was I! Smiley

Gonna just take the hit as the mad Palace fan on here and feel good about it.

Don't get me wrong I think you're a hero, it's plain to see how much you love Palace and I enjoy reading the posts Smiley

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

He's staying at the club on loan so it makes no real difference.

The problem is the expectancy for Palace to be in the Prem has been blown way out of proportion. They had a good start, there are teams that do that every year, then dont make the playoffs. Brighton last year for example.

hehe, did i miss out that fact, sorry Palace fans. It's a painful thought but Millwall probably have more chance than Palace of seeing premiership football.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 24, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »

Why should De Gea be 'getting there' after 18 months, I think he has improved a lot, in the areas he needed too. No keeper gets it right all the time, expecially one who had has to sit behind our defence for the last 18 months. He's simply on of the best shot stoppers in the world, needs a ronaldo type gym routine to bulk up, but apart form that, and a couple more years (yes at least that long), I can see him being with us for years.

Barcelona seem to think so too.

Shot stopping is a pretty standard talent for any keeper and terrible keepers have been great shot stoppers. I like De Gea but he'll never, ever be a great goalkeeper.

Lol, shot stopping is part of it, a big part, and as for standard shot stoppers, that's a pretty ridiculous statement, there's no doubt De Gea is one of the best in that department, as for the other areas of goalkeeping, distribution is good, and clearly he needs to work on his presence in the box at corners, but apart from that there's no way we will know for a few years. Goalkeepers reach their prime later, he's only 22, plenty of time to develop into a great keeper.

With whispers that Valdes is coming our way that development will if it happens help with his development too.

It's not a lol statement. If you've been a keeper 15+ years your shot stopping should be exceptional in a top league. Using the most fundamental attribute needed to be a keeper as a reason for potential greatness is a bit thin as an argument.

I do rate him as a keeper FWIW. But great keepers are rarely suddenly great at 30. They're usually ridic good by their early 20s. Their decision making and coolness will improve, undoubtedly. I just can't seem him being a Utd keeper in 5 years.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »

Reina to Man Utd ?

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 25, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »

Why should De Gea be 'getting there' after 18 months, I think he has improved a lot, in the areas he needed too. No keeper gets it right all the time, expecially one who had has to sit behind our defence for the last 18 months. He's simply on of the best shot stoppers in the world, needs a ronaldo type gym routine to bulk up, but apart form that, and a couple more years (yes at least that long), I can see him being with us for years.

Shot stopping is a pretty standard talent for any keeper and terrible keepers have been great shot stoppers. I like De Gea but he'll never, ever be a great goalkeeper.

Lol, shot stopping is part of it, a big part, and as for standard shot stoppers, that's a pretty ridiculous statement, there's no doubt De Gea is one of the best in that department, as for the other areas of goalkeeping, distribution is good, and clearly he needs to work on his presence in the box at corners, but apart from that there's no way we will know for a few years. Goalkeepers reach their prime later, he's only 22, plenty of time to develop into a great keeper.

With whispers that Valdes is coming our way that development will if it happens help with his development too.

It's not a lol statement. If you've been a keeper 15+ years your shot stopping should be exceptional in a top league. Using the most fundamental attribute needed to be a keeper as a reason for potential greatness is a bit thin as an argument.

I do rate him as a keeper FWIW. But great keepers are rarely suddenly great at 30. They're usually ridic good by their early 20s. Their decision making and coolness will improve, undoubtedly. I just can't seem him being a Utd keeper in 5 years.

You contradict yourself, I remember now there's a reason I stopped discussing football with Scouse lovers. And there are many keepers not amazing at his age who went on to become greats.

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 25, 2013, 01:14:50 AM »

Will add my two cents and agree with most of what the Baron is saying. I just don't see it in him, but I would love to be wrong.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »

Here is a list of the top 10 keepers in Europe this season based save success rate.

1. Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich) – 18 apps – 85.1%

2. Salvatore Sirigu (PSG) – 19 caps – 83.3%

3. Gerhard Tremmel (Swansea) – 10 apps – 81.5%

4. David De Gea (Manchester United) – 15 apps – 78.7%

5. Wilfredo Caballero (Malaga) – 20 apps – 78.7%

6. Ali Ahamada (Toulouse) – 20 apps – 77.2%

7. Petr Cech (Chelsea) – 22 apps – 77.2%

8. Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux) – 21 apps – 76.5%

9. Tono (Granada) – 15 apps – 76.4%

10. Fabian Giefer (Dusseldorf) – 18 apps – 76%

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »

You contradict yourself, I remember now there's a reason I stopped discussing football with Scouse lovers. And there are many keepers not amazing at his age who went on to become greats.

In the modern game? Like who?

Happy to argue footy with anyone regardless of tribe. :-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:35:35 AM by The Baron » Logged
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 26, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »

In the modern game? Like who?

Happy to argue footy with anyone regardless of tribe. :-)

Well we didn't sign Schmeichel until he was about 28.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 26, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

Casillas, Buffon, Reina, cech, hart, Neuer to name but a few. World beaters from very early on.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 26, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

Casillas, Buffon, Reina, cech, hart, Neuer to name but a few. World beaters from very early on.

There's an even longer list of keepers who came into their prime later in life, if you picked out the above names (and I don't agree with them all), then you clearly don't need me to type them all.

dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »

I'm a United fan but imo the deal Palace have got for Zaha is brilliant business, £10m upfront for potential with £5 extra in add-ons.... he's scored 14 goals in 78 games in the last 2 seasons which given he's described as a winger/striker seems pretty low productivity wise? He may improve etc but it's a hefty upfront fee. As a comparion, the lad Countinho who Liverpool have just signed is costing £8.5m, bought from Inter with more proven pedigree (scored 5 in 16 from midfield for Espanyol in La Liga, a team who were battling relegation)
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: