blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960642 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: May 11, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »

Slightly different for me as I always hire a car, so I can go off-piste easier.  Whole Foods near Town Sq has the best stuff, stock up on a few large punnets of prepared fruit if you are staying in a room with a fridge, few beers, cases of water, whatever snacks you like.  If you are treating your self to a limo from the airport, you are basically paying him for the hour, so it is fine to ask him to stop off at Whole Foods on the way from the airport.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

Where are the best supermarket type shops for someone staying on the strip?

Seem to recall there's a Wallgreen somewhere near Planet Hollywood, but I've never used it. I assume that's Wallmart-related?

If you want some nibbles that don't cost the Earth or something more significant like salad, a pint of milk and a loaf, where's best?

Walgreens are one of the biggest pharmacists in the world - I think they're a subsidiary of Boots now; but my experience is that pharmacies in America are a bit like little supermarkets in terms of the groceries they stock. I definitely have used one in Las Vegas for that reason (other times I've just taken a bus to Walmart to stock up Smiley ) - there's a pretty good chance it was that one.

Not quite - Wallgreens purchased Alliance Boots a while back, so in effect they own Boots.

There is a Wallgreens in Fremont St, too, which is cheaper than the one next to The Venetian.

They are effectively Grocery "Convenience Stores", like Tesco Metro or Co-Op, with an attached pharmacy.

For cheaper stuff, there are around 8 WalMarts in & around Vegas.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 11, 2015, 06:14:24 PM »

Walmart and CVS basically do the same thing. Several of each on the strip.
Always use whichever I am closest to. Though this year found CVS cheaper for a lot of stuff. Don't know why and never noticed before.

I'm sure Sharplea said he goes to the ones just off strip and they are a fair bit cheaper.

For tours, my mrs and in laws have used the one just inside the M&MS/Coca cola shops and found them to be the cheapest.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »

Walmart and CVS basically do the same thing. Several of each on the strip.
Always use whichever I am closest to. Though this year found CVS cheaper for a lot of stuff. Don't know why and never noticed before.

I'm sure Sharplea said he goes to the ones just off strip and they are a fair bit cheaper.

For tours, my mrs and in laws have used the one just inside the M&MS/Coca cola shops and found them to be the cheapest.

I do go to Walmarts and they are dirt cheap.

The nearest one I know of is on Tropicana Avenue opposite The Gun Store. I say near - its about $25 in a cab each way. I tend to go there on my last day cos I fill a suitcase with stuff to bring home (Joobs is addicted to Franks Hot Sauce so I get a gallon bottle!) but if you're just grabbing a few things its easier to go to CVS/Walgreens tbh.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: May 11, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »

The Walmart I use is on Rainbow.  It is a really easy route from the Rio WSOP entrance, just head West on W Twain until you get to Rainbow and it is part of the Rainbow Springs shopping centre at that intersect.  It is a big Walmart.  Not sure what the one is like by the Gun Store, it would make sense to stop off there literally on the way to the airport, rather than $25 back to the strip again?  Also difficult to get a cab from these places back to the strip sometimes.

Usual shopping list:

2 cases of water
1 case of beer
1 punnet of mixed berries
1 punnet of pineapple
1 punnet of watermelon
bunch nanas
couple of sliced loaves
butter & jam
fruit juice
diet coke

Stick that lot in the fridge and save a fortune on vending machine drinks and breakfasts that you aren't really ready for.  Not to mention, for those staying longer for WSOP etc getting plenty of fruit is pretty hard to do.

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »

Off to Vegas next Sunday with the family for a week. Will be playing a bit of poker but doing more touristy stuff this time around and need some advice! Some members of our party want to go on a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Does anyone know the best way of getting a good deal? Pre-book or wait till we get there? Any recommendations on who to use and where to book the trip? Also, we want to go to a couple of off-strip shopping outlets. Which are the best ones? Thanks in advance.

Shopping.  There are a few "outlet malls" and most of them are terrible, low quality shops.  SO getting in a cab and saying "outlet malls" would be a bad move.  The best one nearby is the Premium Outlet Mall on S Grand Central Parkway.  http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58  You can have a look at the store listings and see if those are the shops you want or not.  Depending on where you start your journey, and whether you are driving or getting a cab, it is easy to find just off the I15 before getting downtown (41B from memory) or from taking the surface streets via Charleston.

The alternative is 45-60 minutes out of town in Primm on the state line.  http://www.fashionoutletlasvegas.com/  Here the shops aren't the best ever, but the sale fares are incredible, if you plan to buy a lot there are a lot of stores with permanent 70% off sales etc.  If you are driving, just take the I15 to LA and you will fall over it, there used to be a shuttle which you could catch from MGM.

Helicopter.  Maverick seem to get it right, although no doubt not the cheapest out there.  http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/  The tour will include hotel pickup, but you need to have a think about exactly what tour you want, as there is a difference between how long it will take and where exactly they fly you to.  Do you want to go to the rim at the nearest point, or do you want to fly right down into the floor of the canyon away from the masses and spend any amount of time there?  Do you want to take in Lake Mead, Hoover Dam or just straight to the Canyon? There are a few helicopter tour places with offices on the strip around the M&M/Coca-Cola stores and plenty of guys working it on the pavement too.  I assume they will be pushing the "lower price" but I don't know what you get for that.

Thanks Simon
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: May 11, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »

A question for those of you that have stayed at the Golden Nugget.

22 nights 6 June to 28 June comes out at £1823 on Lowcostusa. Would the poker room rate be cheaper? I am playing most of my MTTs there (hopefully) but been let down on accom. so looking for a last minute Downtown hotel

Got 22 nights at the D (formerly Fitzgeralds) on Fremont Street for £1010 including resort fee and local taxes from 6 June to 28 June. Just got to sort out how to get from Nottingham to Gatwick on the 6th now. Smiley

I've done national express coaches a couple of times and stayed near the airport the night before. So pain free. Takes a while, obviously, but you can bring two cases, stick them under the coach and then you'll get two seats minimum on the half empty coach.

Just had a look and there are direct coaches between Nottingham and Gatwick for £18.

Doesn't suit everyone, obviously, but it's been good for me.

Managed to find a early train on the Saturday and Monday 29th for £50 all in. Don't think I could do a Coach trip tbh Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: May 11, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

A question for those of you that have stayed at the Golden Nugget.

22 nights 6 June to 28 June comes out at £1823 on Lowcostusa. Would the poker room rate be cheaper? I am playing most of my MTTs there (hopefully) but been let down on accom. so looking for a last minute Downtown hotel

Got 22 nights at the D (formerly Fitzgeralds) on Fremont Street for £1010 including resort fee and local taxes from 6 June to 28 June. Just got to sort out how to get from Nottingham to Gatwick on the 6th now. Smiley

I've done national express coaches a couple of times and stayed near the airport the night before. So pain free. Takes a while, obviously, but you can bring two cases, stick them under the coach and then you'll get two seats minimum on the half empty coach.

Just had a look and there are direct coaches between Nottingham and Gatwick for £18.

Doesn't suit everyone, obviously, but it's been good for me.

Managed to find a early train on the Saturday and Monday 29th for £50 all in. Don't think I could do a Coach trip tbh Smiley

I can't be doing with lumbering two cases and hand luggage on, around and off a train.

I know some people take just one case, but I've no idea how they get all their shoes and blazers in.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: May 11, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »

My aunt is going out with her fella in the summer, and she's asked me a couple questions I couldn't really help with.

Anyone here done 'Death Valley', and if so, do you have any recommendations for trips?

Not done Lake Mead, but I know a few people here have. Is it possible to do day trips out on a boat etc.?

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »

I did Death Valley in a hire car on the way back to la from Vegas a few years back. It was very warm in late February! The majority of it can be done in a day from Vegas but you could take 2 or 3 to see everything.

Obvious things to state is to make sure you have plenty of water with you and fill up your car before you go. Both water and petrol are very thin on the ground.

I though it was worth the visit but as someone who is a big fan of the U.S national parks, I would have it quite a way down the list. Not a patch on Yosemite or Yellowstone for example.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:20 AM »

I did Death Valley in a hire car on the way back to la from Vegas a few years back. It was very warm in late February! The majority of it can be done in a day from Vegas but you could take 2 or 3 to see everything.

Obvious things to state is to make sure you have plenty of water with you and fill up your car before you go. Both water and petrol are very thin on the ground.

I though it was worth the visit but as someone who is a big fan of the U.S national parks, I would have it quite a way down the list. Not a patch on Yosemite or Yellowstone for example.

Cheers Longy, great stuff.

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:54 PM »

Mega sats and daily tournie info

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LMibgpayF-S242Q0x3NHVUYTg/view?pli=1
Da Bookie

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:39 AM »

Hi all
Anyone got a link for a full schedule of poker during WSOP time just in case I fall out of love with the Rio. Thanks in advance :]
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: May 21, 2015, 01:01:59 AM »

Hi all
Anyone got a link for a full schedule of poker during WSOP time just in case I fall out of love with the Rio. Thanks in advance :]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nes9gkuogcan47h/WSOP2015.xlsx?dl=0
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »

hi, i need $'s in Vegas but I can't go into any shop in the UK as I'm in Hungary. I could bank transfer by calling my bank but theres a chance they want me to do it in smaller chunks.

What would be the recommended way to get $?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: